Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Moving Locations within Locations? :/
Moving Locations within Locations? :/
Feb 21 2008, 4:33 am
By: Spaced___Out  

Feb 22 2008, 10:55 am NudeRaider Post #21

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

If it was a joke, it was a good one. :D
If it was NO joke, you should go back and read everything. :dontgetit:

Feb 22 2008, 11:08 am y10k Post #22

It was just a joke, yes, I just read it by 1st sight and seemed funny -_-

None.

Feb 24 2008, 12:30 am pneumatic Post #23

Quote from Spaced___Out
Yeah, that figuring out how to 'beat the system' is fun...for a while, but the approach of zero customizablity heralds sheer hatred.

Customizability doesn't matter. The point of SC Mapping is not to create your own completely new game. The fun comes from taking something you know and love, your old friend StarCraft, and forging it with your own ideas to create an entirely new monster. The fun is putting a twist to something familiar and seeing it in a new light. All those limits that are so annoying, we love them because they are part of Starcraft's character.

It also doesn't matter if people on BNET play our maps. All that matters is that we make them. It's a creative endeavor. As long as there are people like us making custom maps, then SC Mapping will be very much alive.

None.

Feb 24 2008, 10:56 am Spaced___Out Post #24

Quote from razorsnail
Customizability doesn't matter. The point of SC Mapping is not to create your own completely new game. The fun comes from taking something you know and love, your old friend StarCraft, and forging it with your own ideas to create an entirely new monster. The fun is putting a twist to something familiar and seeing it in a new light. All those limits that are so annoying, we love them because they are part of Starcraft's character.

It also doesn't matter if people on BNET play our maps. All that matters is that we make them. It's a creative endeavor. As long as there are people like us making custom maps, then SC Mapping will be very much alive.

Behold! The 'philosophy' of modern art. It doesn't matter if it's good or that anyone actually uses it because it's a 'creative process' a matter of 'self-expression'. Welcome to the wonderful world of urinal as art exhibit. Seriously, what difference does it make whether or not you make a map if you never plan to play it? I mean, my maps are MUCH prettier in the editor than they are when I play them, so by your 'philosophy' I should just stare at the sprites in the editor and be satisfied. I mean, at least the colors work there. And is there some OTHER community you're playing all your maps on? What is this, some kind of nerd fetish? I thought the POINT of making a map was so people could enjoy playing it? Is there some other GOOD reason to be making a map if noone's going to play it? o_O By the way, that first sentence, "Customizability doesn't matter." invalidated everything you had to say that followed. If customizability isn't THE VERY POINT of a map editor then what function, exactly DOES a map editor serve? I mean, if everything you're ever going to make with a map editor is just another version of StarCraft, then why even bother? Just play the freaking campaigns and be done with it. But back to this common thread I'm starting to pick up here. Is the StarCraft map-making world a little insular one with no contact with reality? I mean, I keep hearing that Bnet isn't the end-all-be-all. Well then, where else are you playing these maps? o_O I mean, certainly that HAS GOT to be the largest community of StarCraft online players?

None.

Feb 24 2008, 12:30 pm Ahli Post #25

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

In the current world computer game producers do not create the game. They create editors which allow everyone to create the game.

Starcraft was one of the first games which allowed the users to play UMS maps in multiplayer or in general to HAVE something like UMS maps.
Starcraft and other games were not made for UMS maps. UMS was something new which became something important today.
Blizzard learned and created better editing tools in warcraft III.
For example Empire Earth was published a few years after Starcraft Broodwar and what were you able to edit?
You had not much more to edit than in starcraft. you had some features which are part in the wcIII editor now, but you were not be able to play EE maps with triggers in multiplayer.
The starcraft UMS was totally new and unique. So please do not complain about it.

If you pay attention to the newest maps and methods, you will see that many genious thaugths are involved.
Binary countoff is goddamned genious.

And of course there are limits we hate which are not in wc3 anymore. We hate it, but it makes us innovative.

Feb 24 2008, 1:20 pm NudeRaider Post #26

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Spaced_Out, your attitude is really ugly. (sorry i lack a stronger adjective)
If you don't like sc or its mapping tools go play more modern games or even better found your own game creation company and do better.

We all love the way starcraft is, just like you like your old car.
If you can't understand that then stfu.
Your whining is annoying. - As if you could change it.

What are you up to anyways?

Feb 24 2008, 1:47 pm Spaced___Out Post #27

Quote from Ahli
Starcraft was one of the first games which allowed the users to play UMS maps in multiplayer or in general to HAVE something like UMS maps.

This matters because? Hey, I'm gonna test the first Tachyon Bomb! I think I'll do it in the middle of Tokyo. Oops, I just destroyed the largest city on Earth. But it was a first attempt so it's ok to completely ignore things that should obviously have been taken into account before hand.

Quote from Ahli
Starcraft and other games were not made for UMS maps.

Now, THAT IS believable.

Quote from Ahli
Blizzard learned and created better editing tools in warcraft III.

Wow. Did you USE the WarCraft III editor???? O_O I actually PREFER SCM Draft 2. Like I said before, with StarCraft at least you don't have the expectation that all that much is going to be possible. WarCraft III had NO EXCUSE to have such a #*!@&y editor! And it tricked you into thinking things were possible that weren't. Want to make your own spells? FORGET IT. Buffs? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. Good luck! The WarCraft III editor makes you THINK you can customize to your heart's content, until you find out how ill-concieved its features truly are. Making your own Buffs NEVER works. Making your own spells only works in two different circumstances:

1) You don't plan on doing anything very creative, and you don't mind some features of the spell you based yours on sneaking in without your permission AND NOT GOING AWAY.
or
2) Third party editors. I've never used the third-party editors for WarCraft III, and I don't plan on it.

WarCraft III was a complete and utter piece of crap, it's hard to believe it was made by the same company that produced the original Diablo (it probably wasn't any of the same people). The graphics were about 10 years behind the times, which is enough right off the bat to pan the turd. But the game wasn't even really all that fun. I mean, there were moments, and I LOVED the Night Elves and their Forest tileset. Having trees for buildings rocks! That was very cool. But the characters were utterly forgetable, unlike in StarCraft. Noone's going to forget who Jim Raynor, Tassadar or Kerrigan are. But I wonder how long it takes most people to remember the name of that sorceress that followed you around in WC III? Or ANY of the Night Elf heros OTHER THAN Illidan. Or how about the 50000000000000000000 half-complete races? You know, Demons, Blood Elves (who, excepting a few units like spell-breakers were just Humans with a different skin set), Dranei, Taurens, blah, blah, blah... WarCraft III felt cheap and rushed to me. And don't give me that crap about the graphics having to be that bad to support that many units in combat at once. I've played almost completely unheard of games by practically no-name companies YEARS before WarCraft III came out that used BETTER LOOKING 3-D models by the THOUSANDS and STILL ran faster than WarCraft III! They were also INFINITELY more enjoyable. WarCraft III was the end of the RTS. It was a complete and total hack-job. I can't stand hearing people defend it, because it reminds me that most of Humanity is completely retarded. The flaws were SO BLATANT that anyone who LOOKED AT that game and missed them has something seriously amiss with their perceptive faculties. When I first heard that there Was going to be a WarCraft III I was ecstatic. Then I saw the graphics and could hardly believe my eyes. Was it, indeed, still 1997? @_@ I'd thought many years had past. Huh, whatever. Time to go listen to my Spice Girls records...

Quote from Ahli
For example Empire Earth was published a few years after Starcraft Broodwar and what were you able to edit?
You had not much more to edit than in starcraft. you had some features which are part in the wcIII editor now, but you were not be able to play EE maps with triggers in multiplayer.

I've never played Empire Earth and don't plan to. It never looked intersting to me, though I did quite enjoy other Sierra games like Pharaoh (Cleopatra) and Zeus (Poseidon), so I can't speak for it's features.

Quote from Ahli
The starcraft UMS was totally new and unique. So please do not complain about it.

Strangely, I think you're under the delusion that StarCraft was a bit of charity work Blizzard did on behalf of the world. It was a product I paid good money for and I'll complain if I want.

Quote from Ahli
If you pay attention to the newest maps and methods, you will see that many genious thaugths are involved.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Newest maps and methods? What do you mean? In WC III? I'm pretty sure that any new StarCraft maps would play by the same rules that the old ones do.

None.

Feb 24 2008, 2:27 pm NudeRaider Post #28

Quote from Spaced___Out
Strangely, I think you're under the delusion that StarCraft was a bit of charity work Blizzard did on behalf of the world. It was a product I paid good money for and I'll complain if I want.
Again my question, what are you getting at?
Why are you bothering US with your ignorance?

Quote from Spaced___Out
Quote from Ahli
I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Newest maps and methods? What do you mean? In WC III? I'm pretty sure that any new StarCraft maps would play by the same rules that the old ones do.
Correct, you cannot change the rules of sc without modding. But we can invent new techniques to get more out of the boundaries. Something YOU will never achieve, because you are too busy whining.
Do you even know about EUD's? With them nearly EVERYTHING is possible.
Go learn sc mapping, then you might talk with with the big boys. Atm your opinion is worth NIL.

Feb 25 2008, 6:15 am Impeached Post #29

Spaced, would you mind acting like a four year old brat elsewhere? Our ears hurt from pointless complaining.

If you hate Starcraft designing so much, leave.

If you decide to stay, scrap the damn "I'm a brat" part and try acting like you have one bit of social skill.

EDIT: Your point which annoyed me most:
I thought the POINT of making a map was so people could enjoy playing it? Is there some other GOOD reason to be making a map if noone's going to play it?
How about so you can play it? I play my maps with friends, and generally don't host public games. The general community doesn't like complicated maps. If you're just designing to try for 'popularity', go steal someone's stolen version of Sunken Defense.

None.

Feb 26 2008, 3:10 am Ryan Post #30

Quote from Spaced___Out
If customizability isn't THE VERY POINT of a map editor then what function exactly DOES a map editor serve?

The purpose it serves is to edit a map. You fail to realize that StarEdit, SCMDraft, Starforge, whatever are all map editors, not game creators.

Quote from Spaced___Out
I mean, if everything you're ever going to make with a map editor is just another version of StarCraft, then why even bother?

What the fuck are you talking about? Are you seriously expecting to play a different video game everytime you see "Star Craft" appear on your monitor?

None.

Options
  Back to forum