Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Running classic Starcraft in 2024
Running classic Starcraft in 2024
Apr 4 2024, 6:01 am
By: Sylph-Of-Space  

Apr 4 2024, 6:01 am Sylph-Of-Space Post #1

So, this will sound very dumb, but I have zero interest in remaster or giving modern Blizzard any more of my money (lol)! I just really wanna play Brood War again without glitching up or weird color palette issues. I've been on Mac for years for making music, but it doesn't look like any recent releases work on Mac? Idk! Anyways, if there's some way to run SC:BW easily like a cheapo laptop please LMK I'm kind of tech illiterate!

None.

Apr 4 2024, 4:39 pm Nekron Post #2

You can download SD StarCraft for free from BNet

Apr 5 2024, 5:11 am Sylph-Of-Space Post #3

Quote from Nekron
You can download SD StarCraft for free from BNet

Does it work ok on modern PCs? Last time I checked there were a lot of weird palette glitches.

None.

Apr 5 2024, 7:23 am IlyaSnopchenko Post #4

The Curious

This free version of SC is the same as Remastered internally, just with the HD graphics locked out until you pay for them. It's not the same as old 1.16.1. Palettes are thankfully not a thing anymore.

The upshot is that you can play on battle.net with it (right?) and launch mods specific to game version 1.23.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 5 2024, 7:35 am by IlyaSnopchenko.

Trial and error... mostly error.

Apr 5 2024, 9:26 am Sylph-Of-Space Post #5

Thanks for the advice, I did manage to get it working. Running SCMDraft on mac has been a very different story but I have a semi-working solution.

None.

Options
  Back to forum