Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Upgrades, Special Attacks, and unit types
Upgrades, Special Attacks, and unit types
Jan 17 2008, 1:04 am
By: RoryFenrir  

Jan 17 2008, 1:04 am RoryFenrir Post #1

Okay, ive been working on my mod alot, (those who have played will probably like the improvements) but most of my changes have been graphic wise and fixing crashes and things that dont work (like the A-A tank and motorcycle)

I want to add some new special attacks, i tried with one and i got kinda lost... my attack i made was like yamito only it fired a missle. It crashed. I modded alot of stuf:
-datedit weapons (unused missle - made it so it was a firable missle
-datedit orders (i made malestorm the order for the attack, its unused in my mod)
-firegraft tech rrquirements
-firegraft button sets

I know there are custom attacks in many mod, like in New Age with the War Cruiser (coolest unit there :))
If i have to ill live with things like disruption web and lockdown, but id like attacks like yamito.

My other question was how (if you can) modify what an upgrade does? For my mod its all terran and i dont have anything like iradiate or lock down but i would like upgrades like increased attack and faster movement. Is there any way to change what an upgrade does?

also, have some of the units like dragoons infantry, so they currently cant be healed. How do you change a unit to be able to be healed or enter a bunker? Is it hard coded?

thanks, sorry if this is all hard to understand.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 17 2008, 1:12 am by RoryFenrir.

None.

Jan 17 2008, 5:19 am A_of-s_t Post #2

aka idmontie

Use an unused spell instead that is linked to an unused weapon. With Firegraft, create a button that activates the spell. Now go to ICECC and write out the code.

My other question was how (if you can) modify what an upgrade does?
Yes, just modify what the weapon's or unit's upgrades are linked to.

How do you change a unit to be able to be healed or enter a bunker?
Check the amount of space it takes up. Make sure that any Dat edits or Exe edits are taken care of in FireGraft.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jan 17 2008, 8:41 pm RoryFenrir Post #3

where do i change what weapon or unit the ups are linked to?

None.

Jan 17 2008, 11:08 pm modmaster50 Post #4

Quote from RoryFenrir
...like in New Age with the War Cruiser (coolest unit there :))

Only you think its the coolest unit cause its your graphic being used :P . Btw, good news for you: I fixed it so that the engine glow works now :) .

Anyways, glad to hear that you've done some good work on your mod. Id like to see it finished :) . Good luck.

A_of-S_T, unused spells dont do anything at all. They are not linked to anything, and you cant link them to anything, so they are only useful for requirements (i.e. Lurker Aspect Tech required to morph lurkers).

None.

Jan 17 2008, 11:58 pm FlyingHat Post #5

Quote from RoryFenrir
How do you change a unit to be able to be healed.
Make it an "organic" unit in units.dat's advanced tab

My other question was how (if you can) modify what an upgrade does?
I've only started screwing around with up grades but upgrades can be modded a good bit.
In units and weapons.dat you can change what upgrade will boost the defense/attack power of the unit.

e.g. In units.dat change the Marine's Upgrade property to "Protoss shields". Now give the Terran race the ability to research shields. Test it in-game and you've just made a upgrade do something that it's not supposed to. With a bit of tinkering in upgrades.dat you open more possibilities.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 18 2008, 12:07 am by FlyingHat.

None.

Jan 18 2008, 12:14 am RoryFenrir Post #6

well ya that upgrade stuf is obvious, but what i want to know is if you wanted to make a bc faster instead of a scout how would you do that?

None.

Jan 18 2008, 12:32 am FlyingHat Post #7

Well, that kind of upgrade modding is only possible by making the BC use the scout as the base unit, or ASM editing.

None.

Jan 18 2008, 1:16 am RoryFenrir Post #8

okay, sorry but can you elaborate a bit more? Whats asm editing?

None.

Jan 18 2008, 1:35 am A_of-s_t Post #9

aka idmontie

Quote from modmaster50
A_of-S_T, unused spells dont do anything at all. They are not linked to anything, and you cant link them to anything, so they are only useful for requirements (i.e. Lurker Aspect Tech required to morph lurkers).
O RLY? I'd beg to differ.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jan 18 2008, 1:45 am modmaster50 Post #10

O RLY? I didnt make it up! I used an unused tech and another modder with more experience told me it doesnt work.

None.

Jan 18 2008, 2:39 am RoryFenrir Post #11

Quote from modmaster50
[quote=RoryFenrir]...like in New Age with the War Cruiser (coolest unit there :))

Only you think its the coolest unit cause its your graphic being used :P . Btw, good news for you: I fixed it so that the engine glow works now :) .

Anyways, glad to hear that you've done some good work on your mod. Id like to see it finished :) . Good luck.

[\quote]

yea.... but you should tell me how You made that attacks like laser barage.... you might beable to tell me in terms i can understand.

None.

Jan 18 2008, 3:16 am modmaster50 Post #12

I gave the warcruiser yamato gun. Then I changed the warcruiser's cast spell iscript to use air attack (which I modified to be laser barrage).

None.

Jan 18 2008, 4:14 am RoryFenrir Post #13

but you still have yamito for regular bcs

so back to my other question, can you modify what the upd do or are they hard coded? Say i want to change how much health stim takes, is that possible?

None.

Jan 18 2008, 4:37 am A_of-s_t Post #14

aka idmontie

Quote from modmaster50
O RLY? I didnt make it up! I used an unused tech and another modder with more experience told me it doesnt work.
Then that person is nub. You connect the unused tech to an order, make it emulate something, and give the weapon whatever you want.

Or you can just use the "attack25 <num>", "attack26", or the attackwithweapon <num> (I'm not exactly sure what this one is named in ICECC).

Quote from RoryFenrir
so back to my other question, can you modify what the upd do or are they hard coded? Say i want to change how much health stim takes, is that possible?
That's an exe edit in Firegraft.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jan 18 2008, 4:42 am RoryFenrir Post #15

so do i open up starcraft exe in firegraft then save as somewhere else?

None.

Jan 18 2008, 4:47 am A_of-s_t Post #16

aka idmontie

Quote from RoryFenrir
so do i open up starcraft exe in firegraft then save as somewhere else?
What, no? Just open Firegraft, click New, go to the tab that says,"Exe Edits". Find the one in the list with "Stim Pack" and edit. Now save as an .exe. Open with WinMPQ and insert the other files that you want to include.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jan 18 2008, 5:01 am modmaster50 Post #17

Quote from RoryFenrir
but you still have yamito for regular bcs

Duh. Why would it change? I didnt even touch yamato. I editted the warcruiser's cast spell iscript to do something other than casting a spell :) (namely, attack with air weapon).

A_of-S_T, how do you link an unused tech to an order?

None.

Jan 18 2008, 5:05 am A_of-s_t Post #18

aka idmontie

Quote from modmaster50
A_of-S_T, how do you link an unused tech to an order?
Its really just over elabrate. Might as well just use an unused weapon and link it to an order in Firegraft and then edit the datedits to connect it to a technology.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jan 18 2008, 5:08 am RoryFenrir Post #19

okay i get it modmaster.

also i get the exe edit thing. So i see how you can modify the amount of hp and timer but now say i want stim to take energy. So will i need to change stim in datedit and firegraft? cause you cant really change anything in exe edit except the value boxes.

And also can i make a unit use a speed or sight upgrade from another unit? Or is that not really possible

(sorry im asking alot of the same questions but im a noob and i still dont get alot of the stuf)

None.

Jan 18 2008, 5:13 am modmaster50 Post #20

Quote from RoryFenrir
And also can i make a unit use a speed or sight upgrade from another unit? Or is that not really possible

No, the upgrades are unit ID based. Use the unit that has the upgrade as the base unit for your new unit.

None.

Options
  Back to forum