Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Gaming Desktop
Gaming Desktop
Dec 26 2012, 5:30 am
By: ShredderIV
Pages: < 1 2 3

Jan 10 2013, 8:37 pm Lanthanide Post #41

It's possible to move your windows User folder to a different drive, but it's much more difficult than it should be and it's easy to bork your install. While messing around with virtualisation earlier last year when I was investigating EUD conditions on macs, one of the VM programs was hard-coded to expect the user folder to exist on the C:, which it did but only as a virtual link. Anyway it somehow installed files into there and broke the virtual link, resulting in all of my user settings vanishing - not the end of the world, but a good 3-4 hours at least to set everything up again (lots of programs had only been installed for my user so weren't showing up, etc). I managed to google-foo my way out of it but it was pretty tricky.

With a 120gb SSD (I only have 64) it's probably not as important to move the entire user directory over, so just going with downloads is probably easiest.

None.

Jan 10 2013, 9:22 pm ShredderIV Post #42

So far ive just went with downloads, and big programs and such so far I've just redirected to my bigger HD.

As far as the final specs, It's the same as the last one i posted. I wasnt able to get the more efficient PSU because they were out of stock everywhere, but i dont mind too much. I also got two extra 120mm case fans from a friend, which i mounted to the side and back areas of the case.

I also already did the registry editor trick, but it doesnt work for all programs it seems.

None.

Jan 10 2013, 11:59 pm omginbd Post #43

Quote from ShredderIV
I also already did the registry editor trick, but it doesnt work for all programs it seems.
Yeah it will work if the program is made to use the dafault install path, but some are just hardcoded to the C: drive.

None.

Jan 11 2013, 12:50 am rockz Post #44

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

You want to put programs on your SSD. I moved my documents etc... to my D: drive (which is a raid 5).

It's a good idea to keep other stuff on your SSD (desktop, appdata mainly). Favorites/contacts/links/saved games/searches are all tiny and not worth moving.

For very large games and/or old games, you want to put them somewhere OTHER than program files anyway, as program files is naturally protected by spaces in the folder names and by UAC (in case you didn't turn it off). UAC isn't really a bad thing, but it definitely isn't integrated well into the OS, since it never tells you if you need to run as administrator. I also hate that it changes my command prompt to have ADMINISTRATOR: in the title of it.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum