Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Mod within a mod..
Mod within a mod..
Mar 27 2012, 3:47 am
By: Xeno814  

Mar 27 2012, 3:47 am Xeno814 Post #1

so I've download a remake of SC1 campaign, it has a map and a mod, i want to add some upgrades to the mod but i don't want to edit much on that downloaded mod. So i make my own mod where i made these upgrades then add my custom mod to the downloaded mod's dependencies, it works but the downloaded mod has a custom weapons, units, so i have to modify my custom upgrade on that downloaded mod. I play the map, it worked but i forgot to fix the requirements (forgot the Show>not>count upgrade: queue or better) so i go back at my custom mod to fix this. I checked again at the downloaded mod but it seems that the recent changes that i made from my mod didn't affect the the downloaded mod even though it was part of its dependencies. Does this mean if i make a mod then add another mod, that another mod whatever changes it makes wont affect my current mod or I'm missing something?

None.

Mar 27 2012, 4:07 am DevliN Post #2

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

As far as I know, you need both mods to be on the dependencies list of the map, and then upload all 3 files. It would be easier, though, to just modify the first mod to your liking and then upload the mod and the map.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 27 2012, 6:53 am Xeno814 Post #3

so it should be like:
downloaded MAP -------> downloaded mod and my mod

if i do this i have to open 10 maps one by one to add my custom mod

what i do is:

downloaded maps -----> downloaded mod ----> my mod

in this one i don't have to open the rest of the maps, I open the downloaded mod, upload my mod then start to add the downloaded mod custom units, weapons etc to my mod upgrades, one thing i notice is at first the color of anything that comes from my custom mod was in orange, when i change something it turns to light green (i think it means that anything light green are part of the downloaded mod) so eventually the most of my mod will be linked to the downloaded mod. what im wondering was what if i change something to my custom mod? will it affect the downloaded mod once i open it? or since the downloaded mod was merged to my mod will it neglect the changes i do to my mod? or once i upload my mod to the downloaded mod, the downloaded mod will just grab anything on the uploaded mods and not care if that uploaded mod has made changes

is there a guide on moddding starcrat editor? i tried to google it but it only gives very basic stuff (like open,save, view stuff)

None.

Mar 27 2012, 7:10 am DevliN Post #4

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I've never played with adding a mod as a dependency to another mod that is a dependency to a map.

You'll have to reupload all 10 of those maps anyway, so I don't really see an issue with adding a dependency to all of them. Just to be clear, you can't upload and replace the existing maps and mod that you downloaded since you didn't upload them in the first place. So in order to play them on Battle.net, you will have to upload all 10 maps, the original mod, and your new mod. Just wanted to make sure you understood that. :/

That said, you could also skip adding any new dependencies by just editing the existing mod. It would just be easier if you make your changes to the mod that is already attached, especially if you know that your second mod will conflict with it. I'm not sure what happens when two attached mods conflict in this case, as the one higher up on the dependency list is used normally, but you're attaching a mod to another mod.

EDIT:
Okay, I tested this. I created a map with a Marine and a Thor, and added a mod that sets both their HP to 200. Then I attached a mod to that mod which sets their HP to 2000. Upon playing the map, it ignored my second mod entirely and stuck with values from the first one. So if anything conflicts with the original mod, you'll have to either live without it or change the original mod.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 27 2012, 7:28 am by DevliN.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 28 2012, 2:33 am Xeno814 Post #5

You'll have to reupload all 10 of those maps anyway, so I don't really see an issue with adding a dependency to all of them. Just to be clear, you can't upload and replace the existing maps and mod that you downloaded since you didn't upload them in the first place. So in order to play them on Battle.net, you will have to upload all 10 maps, the original mod, and your new mod. Just wanted to make sure you understood that.

its unfortunate that i don't have a battle.net account yet, i don't know anything about uploading. :|

if anything conflicts with the original mod, you'll have to either live without it or change the original mod.

I guess this answers my post, the main mod overrides the features of other mods if it conflicts the main mod. thanks :)

None.

Options
  Back to forum