Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Adding Campaign Units to Melee map
Adding Campaign Units to Melee map
Mar 24 2012, 5:01 am
By: Xeno814  

Mar 24 2012, 5:01 am Xeno814 Post #1

After messing around the Starcraft 2 Map Editor i manage to learn things on how to modify/add/remove unit's abilities,upgrade,requirements,buttons,effect like making protoss probe trainable at terran command center/orbital/planetary fort (the supply limit are not separated by race like in SC1 though :( ), adding Heal Ability to Raven (duped from Medivac changed the target to mechanical instead of biological, can't make heal beam animation though) and several custom upgrade, etc,

Now i want to add campaign unit to my map, i added the dependencies (no idea what im doing so i just add all the standard mods :unsure: ) duplicate Odin hero unit from campaign (forgot to UNCHECK the upgrades making my upgrade tab a bit confusing) modify the properties of the unit like Object Family: Melee, Race:Terran, Object Type: Unit to make it look like its part of melee category. added a button in the factory and the requirement was like in mothership, only one unit can be made.

run SC2>>Single Player>>Play vs. AI>>Play Map build the Factory and what i saw was a blank button, blank tooltip>> tried to train the unit>> the training finished with no unit coming out. did i miss something? need help

BTW after i added the dependencies on my map a message box pops-up saying these:
[3/24/2012 11:47:41 AM] Warning: Unable to load image from 'Assets\Textures\BTN-upgrade-terran-combatshield.dds' (Core: a required object could not be found)
[3/24/2012 1:06:03 PM] Warning: Unable to load image from 'Assets\Textures\BTN-Upgrade-Terran-VehicleWeaponsLevel0 .dds' (Core: a required object could not be found)
is there a way to get rid of these messages?

P.S i use StarFriend, it allows me to run SC2, play the blizzard authored map (no achievements though), the custom map that i made replaces a specific map.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 24 2012, 5:10 am by Xeno814.

None.

Mar 24 2012, 6:06 am PunWisp Post #2

Well I know when you add the dependencies, when you start the map and want campaign units, add the Liberty (Campaign) dependency and place it at the top of the list.

None.

Mar 24 2012, 9:46 am Xeno814 Post #3

tried it Campaign Mod at top(next was Story mod) but still a blank button

None.

Mar 24 2012, 8:13 pm DevliN Post #4

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Hmm. One thing I can say is that unless you plan to use the campaign Odin for something else, you shouldn't need to duplicate everything. Just change the campaign Odin directly.

Did you basically just copy the "Nexus - Train Mothership" Ability?
Did you create your own Requirement for the Odin (based on the "Mothership Requirements")?

I did the following to get it to work:
Duplicated the Mothership Requirements and changed the "Count Unit Fleet Beacon" to "Count Unit Armory". Then I changed the "Count Unit Mothership Queued or Better" to "Count Unit Odin Queued or Better" and removed the other "Equals" node.

Duplicated the "Train Mothership" Ability and changed the default button to "Build Thor" and the requirements to "Odin Requirements."

Added the "Train Odin" Ability (formerly Train Mothership2) to the Factory. Added the "Build Thor" button to the Command Card. Command Type: Ability Command. Ability: Train Odin. Ability Command: Build Thor.

The one issue I've found is that it still says "No Mothership" under requirements, even though it is basing that on Odin and not the Mothership.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 24 2012, 9:51 pm Biophysicist Post #5

The one issue I've found is that it still says "No Mothership" under requirements, even though it is basing that on Odin and not the Mothership.
You can specify alternate strings for requirement nodes; the "No Mothership" thing is probably such a string. Look in the nodes until you see it and delete it.

None.

Mar 24 2012, 10:29 pm Xeno814 Post #6

about the mothership requirement, i added a new requirement then imitate the nodes of mothership, it works fine the problem is the Odin unit that i duplicate
DevliN prior to your post i look again at the data editor and is see that i forgot to change the unit value from Odin to Odin - Copy, fixing that part then play it and this the result :wtfage:

this blank button is the barrage skill using it only make sounds

if i use the original odin unit will it end up just like that?

can someone teach me how to make a campaign unit trainable? it seems my methods are a bit cumbersome

None.

Mar 24 2012, 11:44 pm DevliN Post #7

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Just do what I explained in my post. It looks like you tried to duplicate everything associated with the Odin and that's why the ability doesn't work. You don't need to duplicate anything based on what you're trying to accomplish.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 25 2012, 2:32 am Xeno814 Post #8

Duplicated the Mothership Requirements and changed the "Count Unit Fleet Beacon" to "Count Unit Armory". Then I changed the "Count Unit Mothership Queued or Better" to "Count Unit Odin Queued or Better" and removed the other "Equals" node.

If i remove the "Equals" node, "Count Unit Mothership Queued or Better" will be removed as well and i can't add another node after to "Count Unit Armory"

Duplicated the "Train Mothership" Ability

you mean the Nexus - Train Mothership? should i keep the Actors, Models, Unit unchecked? (unchecked it anyway)
on the Abilities Tab, on Duped "Nexus - Train Mothership" (now Factory - Train Odin) Ability Command field i removed the Command: "Train 01"|Button: "Warp in Mothership"|Unit: "Mothership" part and replaced it with Command: "Train 01"|Button: "Build Thor"|Unit: "Odin" (since im confused on the duplicate/modify mothership req i just place the requirements for Thor - Have Armory And Attached Tech Lab)

and its an empty button... i guess campaign units can't be used in melee maps

None.

Mar 25 2012, 8:34 pm DevliN Post #9

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Xeno814

If i remove the "Equals" node, "Count Unit Mothership Queued or Better" will be removed as well and i can't add another node after to "Count Unit Armory"
Are you sure you have the two Campaign dependencies added? If you did, you'd see two "Equals" sections, one for the Mothership and one for Artanis (Mothership). Maybe you duplicated the Requirement before adding the dependencies or something.

Quote from Xeno814
you mean the Nexus - Train Mothership? should i keep the Actors, Models, Unit unchecked? (unchecked it anyway)
Yes, that ability. Yes, everything else should be unchecked.

Quote from Xeno814
(since im confused on the duplicate/modify mothership req i just place the requirements for Thor - Have Armory And Attached Tech Lab)
The requirement should be Odin Requirements. Nothing else.

Quote from Xeno814
and its an empty button... i guess campaign units can't be used in melee maps
Not empty for me, but then again I was under the impression that like SCBW, you can't play custom maps as melee. Have you tried to just test the map through the editor to see if it works?

EDIT:
Here's a copy of the map I made to see how it's done. I don't think it will work as a melee map vs AI unless you play it as a custom map.

Attachments:
OdinTest.SC2Map
Hits: 1 Size: 174.91kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 25 2012, 8:43 pm by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 26 2012, 6:18 am Xeno814 Post #10

Quote from Xeno814

Are you sure you have the two Campaign dependencies added? If you did, you'd see two "Equals" sections, one for the Mothership and one for Artanis (Mothership). Maybe you duplicated the Requirement before adding the dependencies or something.

My bad, just realized it when i saw your map

Not empty for me, but then again I was under the impression that like SCBW, you can't play custom maps as melee. Have you tried to just test the map through the editor to see if it works?

i think the problem lies in Starfriend. Their method of custom map feature was to "swap" a certain default map from SC2 (High Ground to be exact) so the dependencies are still set to from the setting of the default map (melee category mods: Liberty and Liberty Multi) that may be the reason why i cant integrate anything that comes from campaign (and other custom mods like the one i recently made)

the reason i use Starfriend was the impression of SCBW map that when i use a UMS map, i simply can't play it like in melee (where i can start at a random start location, can choose your race and for the ai etc). If i use Starfriend i can only mod things on the melee category, if i use the Test Map... i don't know how to make the map act like a melee map

None.

Mar 30 2012, 3:30 am Xeno814 Post #11

can someone try this map and see if the Odin unit works?

Attachments:

None.

Options
  Back to forum