OverK!LL
Dec 30 2011, 4:09 am
By: Dizzy  

Dec 30 2011, 4:09 am Dizzy Post #1

I recently found that lil-inferno's Skirmish map was very invigorating. And wanted to do a remake this map would definitely be a staple in the game lobby if redone to be extremely epic. The original info is down below... Any thoughts or ideas anyone wants to weigh in on to make this better in any way. I'm currently working on some new level ideas.

Levels:

Aquatic Base
Assassins' Warehouse
Burning New York City (BNYC)
Bridge Over Troubled Water (BOTW)
Singapore Peninsula
Streets of Las Vegas (SLV)

Weapons List:

.44 Magnum (Drone)
870MCS (Hydralisk)
M1014 (Ghost)
M16A4 (Marine)
M1911 (Aldaris/Templar)
M9 (Tassadar/Templar)
MK 11 (Infested Duran/Ghost)
MP7 (Firebat)
P90 (Gui Montag/Firebat)
UMP-45 (Jimmy Raynor/Marine)
SKS (Sarah Kerrigan/Ghost)
SVD (Hunter Killer/Hydralisk)

Secondary Loadout:

Proximity Mine

New Game Mechanics:

Custom Class Creator (CCC)
Secondary Weapons
Loadouts
Weapon Skills, Attack & Armor Upgrades
Kill for Minerals (K4M)

Quote from lil-Inferno
[Skirmish!]

After seeing a bunch of crappy arena maps that had absolutely no replay value, I decided to spring this up as a side project from a few other map projects I was working on, taking after a personal favorite of mine, DooM II by Bioject. It's buggy so far, but the bugs are rare and it's still very playable.

Specifications

-Type
Multiplayer arena. Can either be FFA or teams.

-Players
2-8. 8 is recommended.

-Map tileset
Jungle

-File size

Skirmish! v05 - 243 KB

-Dimensions
192x192 (Multiple arenas)

Control Panel

Your control panel features:
  • Weapon swap toggling (Shuttle)
  • Weapon ability, only for pistol right now (Reaver)
  • Suicide (Observer)
  • Rocket launcher (unused right now)

Features

-5 Playable Arenas (more to come)

Temple

Aquaduct

Narrows

The Emerald Palace

Foundry

-4 Playable game modes, 2 started (more to come), I plan to have 10 altogether

• Deathmatch
    • Playable on FFA and teams.
    • First to reach X kills wins the match. Simple enough.

• King of the Hill
    • Playable on FFA and teams. Note: It doesn't matter which secondary mode you do, that's placeholder.
    • The hill is in the middle of the map. You gain points by staying in it while no one else is in it (contested).

• Oddball
    • Playable on FFA and teams.
    • The ball spawns in the middle. You gain points by having the ball in your hands. You're nearly defenseless when you have it as you become an Infested Kerrigan, although your attacks will be an instant kill. Toggling weapon swap will drop the ball or render you unable to pick it up until you toggle weapon swap again.

• Capture The Flag
    • Only playable on teams. Note: I need to fix the unplaceable error. It doesn't matter which secondary mode you do, that's placeholder.
    • A classic objective-based mode. Each team has a base that a flag spawns at. Your objective is to infiltrate this enemy base using tactics to grab their flag and run back to your base. If the other team has your flag, you won't be able to score and vice versa. To recover your flag, stand by it for a few seconds. More people near it will mean a faster recovery time. Combines offense and defense.

• Last Man Standing
    • Playable on FFA and teams. Note: Incomplete. It will bug.
    • Each person is given a set amount of lives. Every time you die you lose one of these lives. When you are completely out of lives you cease respawning and are set to observer mode (vision with everyone).

• V.I.P.
    • Only playable on teams. Note: Incomplete. It will bug.
    • Each team is randomly selected a V.I.P. at the start. You only gain points by assassinating the other team's V.I.P. When a team lacks a V.I.P., the next person to die will become it. Combines offense and defense.

• Collection Frenzy
    • Playable on FFA and teams. Note: Not started.
    • Every minute or so a weapon is randomly picked and displayed, and you will only earn points if you get a kill with that weapon.

• Territories
    • Only playable on teams, I might make it playable in FFA. Note: Not started.
    • A set of territories are there for the taken (most likely going to be 3). Stand by a territory and defend it to capture it. The more territories your team holds, the more points you get.

• Demolition
    • Only playable on teams. Note: Not started.
    • A bomb is set in the middle of the arena. The objective is to bring the bomb to the opponents' base and defend it until it blows up, giving your team a point.

• Lone Wolf
    • Playable on FFA and teams. Note: Not started. May be replaced with a mode called "Juggernaut" similar to this one in which the juggernaut is given a significant advantage (although I'm not sure what it would be) or I could have both.
    • One player is the lone wolf, and he is against everyone else in the game. You only get points as the lone wolf. I haven't decided if it will be surviving as the lone wolf or getting kills as it.

-Huge amount of customization
    Warning: Don't choose time limit, any arena that isn't listed here, or any game mode not listed here (V.I.P. is also incomplete and buggy although listed. Last Man Standing as well.)

Details

-Weapons (so far)
    • Pistol (Terran Ghost)
      [list]
    • Can pistol whip to stun the enemy when up close by making a Reaver.
    • Health: 100
    • Armor: 0
    • Damage: 24
  • Shotgun (Alexei Stukov Ghost)
    • Has to go up close to shoot enemies
    • Armor: 1
    • Damage: 180
  • Double Barrel Shotgun (Zerg Hydralisk)
    • Can morph to Lurker as a shield and anti-shotgun, or to block
    • DBS Health: 86
    • DBS Armor: 1
    • DBS Damage: 50
    • Shield Health: 1500
    • Shield Armor: 0
  • Chain Gun (Jim Raynor Marine)
    • Has stim, which always gives a tactical choice
    • Damage: 18
  • Objective Carrier (Infested Kerrigan)
    • Carries the flag or Oddball in capture the flag and Oddball, respectively
    • Health: 75
    • Damage: 120

-Option list (rather extensive, eh?)
  • Teams/FFA
  • Game mode
  • Time limit/first to reach X (score-wise)
  • Points needed to win/time limit
  • Respawn time (any multiple of 1/12 of a second)
  • Weapon availability (lets you disable any weapon from gameplay)
  • Starting weapon
  • Heal after kill on/off
  • Fixed gun emplacements (isn't in gameplay yet, probably won't be)
  • Explosive barrels (isn't in gameplay yet, probably won't be)
  • Grappling hook (isn't in gameplay yet, probably won't be)
  • Environment effects (teleports, etc.)
  • Select arena

My hope for having all these options is that people will be able to create their own game modes. For instance, let's say... Shotball - Oddball with only shotguns in a tight arena like Foundry.

-Kill streak messages, just for the fun and prestige of it (only goes up to 10 so far)
  • 5 Kill streak: "Player X is on a kill streak."
  • 10 Kill streak: "Player X is on a rampage!"
  • 15 Kill streak: "Player X is kicking your asses!"
  • 20 Kill streak: "Player X is unstoppable!"
  • 25 Kill streak: "Player X is un-fucking-believable!"
  • 30 Kill streak: "Player X has replaced God."

Gameplay Screenshots

None yet... but you have a map.

Rough To-do List
  • Add optimal settings option (gives the best settings for the game mode you pick, but lets you pick the arena and FFA/teams)
  • Add more weapons.
  • Enable time limit option.
  • Fix bugs.

Topic History

5/15/2010 - Topic created, added unit stats

Download

I'm currently seeking play-testers. You'll most likely be able to contact me on Battle.net@USEast in Op SEN.

Skirmish!

Post has been edited 8 time(s), last time on Jan 1 2012, 3:26 pm by Dizzy.

None.

Dec 30 2011, 6:04 pm TiKels Post #2

Finish all the weapons.

dats it.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Dec 30 2011, 7:24 pm Dizzy Post #3

Thanks, Tikels. I was thinking about adding some guns from Battlefield 3 & Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Here's a teaser screen of the Aquatic Base Level ;]

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on Dec 31 2011, 6:17 am by Dizzy.

None.

Dec 30 2011, 9:15 pm Pr0nogo Post #4

CoD sucks, don't bother.

Lovely terrain though.

Dec 30 2011, 11:29 pm Dizzy Post #5

Thanks Pr0nogo! Yeah, CoD sucks...

None.

Dec 31 2011, 7:05 am Tempz Post #6

Well cod isn't bad nor good imo... but cod sure has made some guns well known such as the ump45 nice terrain all the same.

None.

Dec 31 2011, 5:53 pm Dizzy Post #7

If there wasnt too much going on in the gameplay and it wasn't so fast it would be good imo & Thanks Tempz. I'm a take a break from the Aquatic Base and start on the Streets of L.A. & do some triggering.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 31 2011, 6:20 pm by Dizzy.

None.

Jan 1 2012, 10:04 pm lil-Inferno Post #8

Just here for the pie

That's not what Skirmish's weapons were supposed to be.

They were supposed to all run on a unique mechanic such that any weapon could gain a tactical edge over any other (e.g. pistol was weak, but could pistol whip and had a long range. Chain gun could stim for hit/run, but loses health over that. Shotgun had to get close, but nearly guaranteed a 1-hit K.O. Double Barrel Shotgun had a shield, which could take a lot of punishment and could be used to effectively block small passageways, giving allies an advantage, etc.)

The way I see it you're going for the Call of Duty approach - just add as many generic guns as possible. There probably isn't much tactical difference among several Ghost weapons.

Jan 2 2012, 12:04 am payne Post #9

:payne:

Quote from lil-Inferno
That's not what Skirmish's weapons were supposed to be.

They were supposed to all run on a unique mechanic such that any weapon could gain a tactical edge over any other (e.g. pistol was weak, but could pistol whip and had a long range. Chain gun could stim for hit/run, but loses health over that. Shotgun had to get close, but nearly guaranteed a 1-hit K.O. Double Barrel Shotgun had a shield, which could take a lot of punishment and could be used to effectively block small passageways, giving allies an advantage, etc.)

The way I see it you're going for the Call of Duty approach - just add as many generic guns as possible. There probably isn't much tactical difference among several Ghost weapons.
I think I prefer inferno's approach.
o!

None.

Jan 2 2012, 7:58 am Dizzy Post #10

Actually there is a big difference in the 3 ghosts. And whose to say I'm not using the same mechanics... The reason I'm taking the CoD approach is because it gives players many options and giant variety of weapons. Having more weapons & more equipment if done properly can make this game very much indeed more tactical. Just like you manipulated the weapons before in Skirmish! to have a unique play style is the same thing I'm doing here in OverK!LL... just with more weapons. :disgust:

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jan 3 2012, 12:59 pm by Dizzy.

None.

Options
  Back to forum