Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Making a new unit out of a critter
Making a new unit out of a critter
Dec 20 2011, 4:39 am
By: SCRuler  

Dec 23 2011, 9:23 pm Biophysicist Post #21

it just won't compile as for the iscript.
I can't apply a castspell opcode because it won't allow compiling.
You're going to have to be more specific. Where are you putting the castspell opcode?

None.

Dec 23 2011, 10:14 pm SCRuler Post #22

I put it after Local00 I think. But I wasn't aware it mattered. I put in FirebatCastSpell and I fill out a list, but nothing happens.

None.

Dec 23 2011, 10:17 pm Biophysicist Post #23

Can you copy-paste your Firebat iscript?

None.

Dec 24 2011, 12:28 am SCRuler Post #24

well I removed the castspell because it wouldn't compile... And to be honest that's least on my list of concerns about the mod. I'm more worried about adding/replacing units and stuff as well as the problematic warp rift.

None.

Dec 24 2011, 9:34 pm SCRuler Post #25

Is there anyone who knows how to apply silvery color to protoss units, and who can fix the rift problem?

None.

Dec 24 2011, 9:57 pm Sand Wraith Post #26

she/her

Quote from SCRuler
Is there anyone who knows how to apply silvery color to protoss units, and who can fix the rift problem?

What's the rift problem again?

Dec 24 2011, 10:48 pm SCRuler Post #27

just that I open a warp rift with a probe, and it crashes the game. Is it because I got the new warp rift graphics?

None.

Dec 25 2011, 4:54 pm Biophysicist Post #28

Try renaming the custom graphics in the MPQ and see if that makes it not crash - my personal convention is to add "dontuse" to the file extension of files I want to temporarily disable. (So, if I had a custom Zealot GRP and I wanted to temporarily disable it, I'd rename it to "unit\protoss\zealot.grpdontuse".)

Also, about your Firebat iscript: When you say "castspell", do you mean the opcode "castspell", or the animation name "FirebatCastSpell"? If the latter, then you just need to update the header, presumably.

EDIT: I remembered that there are two images used in the warping animation and looked them up. Entry 210, Warp Texture, uses unit\protoss\texture.grp, while entry 211, Warp Anchor, uses unit\protoss\pblglow.grp. It appears that unit\protoss\pblglow.grp is used for the entire warp animation, and unit\protoss\texture.grp is overlayed at the end. If you got these two backwards, it would cause issues; an easy way to tell is that unit\protoss\texture.grp is a rectangle with no unused space in it, in any frame, while unit\protoss\pblglow.grp is a spinning energy ball thing that gets bigger and stuff in the final frames. This probably isn't your issue, but checking it would be a good idea.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 25 2011, 5:07 pm by Biophysicist.

None.

Dec 25 2011, 7:17 pm SCRuler Post #29

I'm pretty sure that I got the names for it right. It has a reddish texture grp and a reddish pblglow grp. It looks really nice looking at it in RetroGRP but it totally fucks up when I try to warp in a structure.
The Animation name FirebatCastSpell. I put it in and it keeps saying that it doesnt link to anything or whatever.
When I can get around to it, I'll try out your "dontuse" strategy. Thanks for helping, Biophys.

None.

Dec 25 2011, 9:05 pm Biophysicist Post #30

The Animation name FirebatCastSpell. I put it in and it keeps saying that it doesnt link to anything or whatever.
In that case, you need to update your header. Look for "CastSpell [NONE]" and replace "[NONE]" with "FirebatCastSpell". Animation names are actually totally arbitrary and naming this way is pure convention (and afaik the names aren't even saved into iscript.bin - I think it actually uses offsets of some sort under the metaphorical hood); this is why the header is important.

None.

Dec 25 2011, 11:28 pm SCRuler Post #31

I actually did use the header. It said it didn't have one.

None.

Dec 25 2011, 11:49 pm Biophysicist Post #32

Okay, first, can you please stop assuming we automatically know what you're talking about? (I know that sounds snarky; it's not meant to be, but I can't think of a better way to say it. But please, do try to be more explicit about what you mean.)

Now, I'll assume you mean that, in the header, there is no line that says "FirebatCastSpell [NONE]". If this is the case, then you're probably using IceCC, and, iirc, IceCC doesn't always put in all the names in the header. I think you just put it in manually. Or use PyICE. If this doens't work, PM me your iscript.bin file and I'll take a look. (The whole file, not a copy-paste of the Firebat script.)

None.

Dec 26 2011, 12:04 am SCRuler Post #33

Ok, I will try to send it and I will attempt a new firebat script. The bin I have for the iscript doesn't feature the attempted firebat spell opcode because as you might know, IceCC doesn't allow compiling with what it sees as an erroneous opcode.

None.

Mar 12 2012, 4:59 pm matefkr Post #34

try copiing something like a high templar iscript (there are types, which allow certain sections). the warp problem can be solved with using chaos launcher wmode plugin and ollydebug to find out whats up. But certain in images.dat, there are palettes, and besides default (no special paletts) other pallets might cause crash with certain colors in grp, frames.

None.

May 4 2012, 5:18 pm SCRuler Post #35

matefkr, thank you. It's been months and my comp just got fixed. I had given up hope on the mod altogether. Where can I find those devices?

None.

Options
  Back to forum