Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Someone using my bandwidth?
Someone using my bandwidth?
Mar 3 2011, 5:50 am
By: payne
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >

Mar 4 2011, 7:01 am payne Post #21

:payne:

I unplugged and replugged my modem, then reset my router, then went to set once again the new password, WEP, and such.
... and now it works! Not quite sure what was the problem, but for sure, someone did use our internet for a while. :massimo:

Quote from rockz
download bandwidth monitor and see what you're actually using.
This will help me know if someone's hijacking my internet from now on? Or can I retrieve old data about it?
Quote from NudeRaider
If your router has a log option you can enable it to see which MAC addresses were connected (to find out if your Internet has indeed be stolen). Otherwise the WLAN section of your router should at least have a menu showing the currently connected clients. Check your own network traffic and compare with the summary in your router (the screenshot you provided).
How to know if it has a log option?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 4 2011, 11:58 am by payne.

None.

Mar 4 2011, 10:00 am NudeRaider Post #22

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from payne
WEP
No. It can easily be hacked. That's like inviting someone to steal your Internet. You gotta use WPA2/PSK authentication. Keep in mind that you need to configure the clients accordingly, too.

Quote from payne
Quote from rockz
download bandwidth monitor and see what you're actually using.
This will help me know if someone's hijacking my internet from now on? Or can I retrieve old data about it?
If you haven't logged it in the past you can't see any old data...

Quote from payne
Check the router interface.

Mar 4 2011, 10:24 am The Starport Post #23

You did remember to actually change the default admin password on the router, right? That's different than setting an encryption key. Without that, whoever jacked it originally can just do it again if they can crack your encryption. And yeah, don't use WEP for that. :ermm:

If you were able to get back into your router before you set the encryption, your hijacker friend might have picked up the signal again also. Worth checking to see if his MAC got logged.
it is possible to spoof mac addressed, though...

None.

Mar 4 2011, 7:42 pm payne Post #24

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Worth checking to see if his MAC got logged.
How? :massimo:

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from payne
WEP
No. It can easily be hacked. That's like inviting someone to steal your Internet. You gotta use WPA2/PSK authentication. Keep in mind that you need to configure the clients accordingly, too.

Quote from payne
Check the router interface.
How/Where? :massimo:

I don't know a single tiny bit of shit about modems/routers... try to be descriptive. D:

None.

Mar 4 2011, 8:30 pm Lanthanide Post #25

My wirelress router which also has VOIP, interestingly enough when you're setting up encryption it has as one of the options "No Encryption/WEP". Yes, it actually considers WEP to not be encryption at all and gives you a warning not to use it.

payne, if you have a really old, or simply cheap router, it may not support anything other than WEP. In which case you should either upgrade the firmware, or buy a newer/better one that does support WPA2/PSK.

None.

Mar 4 2011, 10:04 pm NudeRaider Post #26

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Lanthanide
one of the options "No Encryption/WEP". Yes, it actually considers WEP to not be encryption at all and gives you a warning not to use it.
Because it is not encrypted. WEP is an authentication which is the procedure of "loggin in" on the router (In other words, identifying the client) and thus starting communication. The communication itself is in fact not encrypted and thus can be easily intercepted and directly read. This is why it's so easy to hack.

WPA/PSK types of authentication use TKIP or AES encryption.

Quote from payne
How/Where? :massimo:

I don't know a single tiny bit of shit about modems/routers... try to be descriptive. D:
I can't guide you through your router menu when I don't see it. I could check it with teamviewer though. I'll still be online for while.
Otherwise you'll have to look around for the options that sound like the keywords we're tossing around with. Apparently you already found WEP authentification. If there's no WPA/PSK option right there it's likely the router doesn't support it. And in this case do what Lanth said.
About the log option: Well, go look for it. You can read right? If unsure just post the name of the option in the thread.

Mar 4 2011, 11:03 pm DevliN Post #27

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from payne
Keep in mind that not all router/modem interfaces are the same, so it is difficult to be more descriptive when we don't know what you're working with.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 5 2011, 1:15 am Lanthanide Post #28

Quote from NudeRaider
Because it is not encrypted. WEP is an authentication which is the procedure of "loggin in" on the router (In other words, identifying the client) and thus starting communication. The communication itself is in fact not encrypted and thus can be easily intercepted and directly read. This is why it's so easy to hack.
Actually it is encrypted, from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy
Quote from Wikipedia
Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) is a deprecated security algorithm for IEEE 802.11 wireless networks. Introduced as part of the original 802.11 protocol in 1997, it was intended to provide confidentiality comparable to that of a traditional wired network, but is susceptible to eavesdropping.

In Open System authentication, the WLAN client need not provide its credentials to the Access Point during authentication. Thus, any client, regardless of its WEP keys, can authenticate itself with the Access Point and then attempt to associate. In effect, no authentication (in the true sense of the term) occurs. After the authentication and association, WEP can be used for encrypting the data frames. At this point, the client needs to have the right keys.

After the authentication and association, the pre-shared WEP key is also used for encrypting the data frames using RC4.

FYI I actually work in networking, I write software ("firmware") for L3 switches and routers for Allied Telesis, so I do know what I'm talking about.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Mar 5 2011, 1:22 am by Lanthanide.

None.

Mar 5 2011, 8:07 am ShadowFlare Post #29

The problem with WEP is that some flaw in the design made it possible to quickly figure out the key. The encryption itself was supposed to be decent, but it doesn't mean anything if you have the key.

None.

Mar 5 2011, 5:49 pm payne Post #30

In the spot where I could enter a WEP key, I haven't seen anything else. :/
Also, I've found that Log thing. All I could see was stuff dating from March 5th (today). D:

And when I woke up this morning, my modem was on Stand-By. Are there any ways to set it to this state non manually?

@NR: I dun has yo MSN. :hurr:

None.

Mar 5 2011, 7:42 pm rockz Post #31

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

your modem has a stand by?

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 5 2011, 8:18 pm DevliN Post #32

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from rockz
This, definitely.

What kind of connection do you have?

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 5 2011, 8:29 pm payne Post #33

Quote from DevliN
Quote from rockz
This, definitely.

What kind of connection do you have?
I believe it's Wireless, High Speed. :O
On the top of my modem, I do have a button to set it on stand by.

None.

Mar 5 2011, 8:33 pm DevliN Post #34

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

...no, I'm asking what kind of connection you have. Is it DSL, cable, fiber, 56k?

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 6 2011, 12:00 am payne Post #35

NudeRaider helped me a lot today.
I now have a secured network.

New problem: my sister can't connect on it anymore with her Wi-Fi.
The connection is detected, but it says it's a "Limited Connectivity". Her "Ipv4" and "Ipv6" are both labeled as "Limited" as well.
What am I supposed to do for her? D:

None.

Mar 6 2011, 12:24 am Lanthanide Post #36

Ignore IPv6 for now.

My guess is that her computer is:
1. Set up with a static IP address/default gateway, and can't communicate with your router any more.
2. Failing to get a DHCP lease for some reason.

What kind of OS is she using: XP, Vista, 7 or Mac? Or linux?

If one of the windows, go to a command prompt (Start - Run - cmd.exe) and type in "ipconfig" and paste the results here.

If her IP address looks like: 169.254.x.x then likely her computer couldn't get a lease from the DHCP server on your router. If it's some other address, like 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x then it is an incorrectly configured static address.

It's probable that whatever Nude did to fix your connection, I'm assuming he put on proper encryption, you haven't configured your sister's computer to use the new encryption protocol, so it's still trying to use WEP or whatever you used to have configured. So you may need to do whatever Nude did to your computer to her computer as well. You haven't really provided enough information to determine whether it's a basic connection issue (can't get a signal at all) or whether it's some sort of addressing issue.

None.

Mar 6 2011, 4:54 am rockz Post #37

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

My old laptop can't connect to WPA2 encryptions, so I had to use WPA1.

Usually windows does a pretty good job of handling which type of connection it is, doesn't it lanthanide?

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 6 2011, 7:05 am Lanthanide Post #38

I would expect that any fully-patched version of XP should be able to support any type of encryption on the router, since it's just a protocol that needs to be installed in the OS.

None.

Mar 6 2011, 8:40 am payne Post #39

Quote from Lanthanide
Ignore IPv6 for now.

My guess is that her computer is:
1. Set up with a static IP address/default gateway, and can't communicate with your router any more.
2. Failing to get a DHCP lease for some reason.

What kind of OS is she using: XP, Vista, 7 or Mac? Or linux?

If one of the windows, go to a command prompt (Start - Run - cmd.exe) and type in "ipconfig" and paste the results here.

If her IP address looks like: 169.254.x.x then likely her computer couldn't get a lease from the DHCP server on your router. If it's some other address, like 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x then it is an incorrectly configured static address.

It's probable that whatever Nude did to fix your connection, I'm assuming he put on proper encryption, you haven't configured your sister's computer to use the new encryption protocol, so it's still trying to use WEP or whatever you used to have configured. So you may need to do whatever Nude did to your computer to her computer as well. You haven't really provided enough information to determine whether it's a basic connection issue (can't get a signal at all) or whether it's some sort of addressing issue.
She's on Vista.
I'll try this stuff later on. It's nearly 4 AM. Bed time.

None.

Mar 6 2011, 11:19 am NudeRaider Post #40

Ok, what we did was set WLAN to WPA2 on the router. This didn't affect payne's computer because he's connected via cable.
Her sisters computer didn't work with the LAN cable so I couldn't get on it with teamviewer and look for myself what was wrong.
Payne then entered the WPA2 method + key in his sister's computer's WLAN and apparently he did connect, but Internet still wasn't working.
DHCP is correctly configured on the router but I don't know about the computer. I told payne to remake the connection but I'm not sure if he did. Then I went to bed.

Her sister's computer is using Vista, so is it possible that the firewall (he has the windows firewall active and refused to turn it off for testing) or the OS itself didn't allow Internet on this newly configured WLAN connection? I remember having to tell my computer to regard my wlan as secure (or something along those lines) until it allowed me to connect to the Internet with it.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >
  Back to forum