Staredit Network > Forums > Media, Art, and Literature > Topic: Reccomendations for Music
Reccomendations for Music
Feb 5 2011, 2:49 am
By: Fisty  

Feb 5 2011, 2:49 am Fisty Post #1

Looking to expand my horizons beyond my current mix of everything from CCR to German Heavy Metal. So essentially any music (except country), only real rule (other than NO COUNTRY) is it needs to be generally positive and lively, I've got too much depressing music already.

Also bonus cookies for anyone who can find a singer like John Lennon impersonator in this video

None.

Feb 5 2011, 3:55 am payne Post #2

:payne:

If you listen to CCR, I guess you know these: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Genesis. <3

Now lets get into real stuff (genres shown are Neo-classical, Mod-classical, Post-rock, Electro post-rock, Trip-hop, blues-rock, classic rock, blues, jazz house):

For this last one, skip the first minute.

None.

Feb 5 2011, 5:08 am Sand Wraith Post #3

she/her

Feb 5 2011, 7:24 am RIVE Post #4

Just Here For The Pie

It is a shame people hate Country for what it has become: Pop.

Classic Country features some of the greatest guitarist of all time.

None.

Feb 5 2011, 7:32 am Fire_Kame Post #5

wth is starcraft

Brother in Arms is a marvelous song and I am shocked you know Dire Straits Payne :O

On the topic of country, there's a difference between Western Country and Southern Country. In my opinion, western country is better. Reckless Kelly, Christopher Ledoux (okay that's a little hickish), Cross Canadian Ragweed. But I wouldn't ever call country uplifting, most of it is about love lost or love not found yet...

imgoingtogofeellikecrapoverthepersonwhointroducedmetothesebandskthxbai

Feb 5 2011, 12:49 pm NicholasBeige Post #6

Quote from payne

No seriously?

None.

Feb 6 2011, 4:33 am payne Post #7

Quote from RIVE
Classic Country features some of the greatest guitarist of all time.
Dire Straits has done some country stuff. ;)

Quote from Fire_Kame
Brother in Arms is a marvelous song and I am shocked you know Dire Straits Payne :O
Why wouldn't I? Am I not an auto-proclaimed ENORMOUS fan of old-rock? 70% of my iPod is old-rock.
However, now that I started moving to mod-classic/neo-classic/post-rock, this percentage keeps getting lower and lower since I'm discovering -so many- awesome unknown bands with TSS, a blog I visit religiously every morning listening at every single entry and deciding if it deserves making its way into my iPod. :3
Quote from name:Cardinal
Quote from payne

No seriously?
This song is truly epic. :massimo:

None.

Feb 9 2011, 10:21 pm Fisty Post #8

Thanks for all the music, been hard pressed for time to listen. So far I've gotten to We Flood Empty Lakes (amazing song btw).

None.

Feb 9 2011, 10:47 pm NicholasBeige Post #9

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Edit: Just my two cents on music. I listen to anything. Music feeds the soul - these songs were the first that came to my head when I decided to post in here.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Feb 9 2011, 11:02 pm by Cardinal.

None.

Feb 10 2011, 12:23 am CaptainWill Post #10

I prefer the Beatles version of Day Tripper.

A selection of songs that I've listened to recently which I'd recommend.

Pretty gay video to be honest, but I always get a laugh at 4:34-4:37 where the singer does a "srs face" to the drum beat. You owe it to yourself to watch it for that part.

The aforementioned Day Tripper. Superior voices to Hendrix but obviously inferior guitar work.

My current favourite dubstep track.

One of the singles from Chase & Status's new album. The video is a great parody of Jeremy Kyle and other Jerry Springer-like show hosts. It does have a couple of seconds of implied rough sex but you don't actually see anything. Just a warning for the censors, though I know we've moved beyond the whole "content must be suitable for 13 year olds" era now.

Also, how could I forget that? Olia Tira is the bonus, given that she's pretty hot. The male singer looks like some sort of lunatic most of the time, but the sax guy is the definite highlight. I bet he didn't think he'd get so famous...

None.

Feb 10 2011, 12:52 am payne Post #11

Quote from Fisty
Thanks for all the music, been hard pressed for time to listen. So far I've gotten to We Flood Empty Lakes (amazing song btw).
The whole album will satisfy you greatly.

http://www.thesirenssound.com/2009/03/20/yndi-halda-enjoy-eternal-bliss/
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b0d5ha4/n/Yndi_Halda_-_Enhoy_Eternal_Bliss_Ep.rar

None.

Feb 10 2011, 1:05 am Fire_Kame Post #12

wth is starcraft

Will that video probably redeemed Dubstep :P

Our Lady Peace --

Then I was going to post Incubus, Fuel, BNL, Muse but I'm sure you've heard of them though. If you get into OLP their older stuff is better in my opinion, so I'd download In Repair first (both of the songs above are from that CD). It was a concept album revolving around the book Spiritual Machines. Actually, the other rescinded on most of the book later.

Moar Dire Straits:

(best music video evar

Feb 10 2011, 1:17 am UnholyUrine Post #13

=D =D

None.

Feb 10 2011, 8:57 am NicholasBeige Post #14

@Cap'n Will - apparently Lennon was at the recording studio when Hendrix did his cover of Day Tripper - it's rumoured that Lennon provided some backing vocals, but there's no absolute proof!

As for amazing sax/dance tunes - how about this?

And for Fisty:

None.

Feb 10 2011, 12:25 pm CaptainWill Post #15

Quote from Fire_Kame
Will that video probably redeemed Dubstep :P

Which one? Two of them could be described as "dubstep influenced", and they both have great videos.

Also, Dire Straits! Love those guys.

None.

Feb 13 2011, 7:19 am Fire_Kame Post #16

wth is starcraft

The Nero one. My boyfriend looked over my shoulder and said "Is that Lotus?!" when he saw them driving the car in the video game.

Feb 13 2011, 11:58 am NicholasBeige Post #17

I normally don't like rap - but this shit is phenomenal. He'll be big 2011.

None.

Feb 13 2011, 6:14 pm UnholyUrine Post #18

I normally don't like rap, and I'm completely biased against it :C

but this:

Is awesome.

speaking of parodies..

Tho that's pretty damn old

None.

Feb 23 2011, 2:37 am payne Post #19

Fisty, what about the other recommendations? Ever gotten past through all of 'em?
And have you downloaded that album from Yndi Halda?

None.

Options
  Back to forum