Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: New power supply
New power supply
Dec 6 2010, 11:09 am
By: NudeRaider  

Dec 9 2010, 12:44 am Excalibur Post #21

The sword and the faith

Generally speaking if the unit you buy is not a Corsair, Antec, or SeaSonic you will probably be replacing it, and will probably be sorry. If you can't spend the money to get a good unit now, don't get one at all.

Also shame on you rockz for recommending OCZ units. After their DDR3 RAM problems and ruining PC Power and Cooling for no better reason than 'lol we bought them', I can't even recommend them if they happen to get something right. Which they still haven't. Though I see with Nude's too-low-for-what-he-actually-needs price point, you're in a rough spot.

After a quick glance on Alternate, I'd recommend the Corsair 500CX http://www.alternate.de/html/product/Netzteil/Corsair/CMPSU-500CX/672734/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Geh%C3%A4use&l2=Netzteile&l3=ab+500+Watt or the Antec TPN 650 http://www.alternate.de/html/product/Netzteil/Antec/TruePower_New_Series_TP-650/79542/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Geh%C3%A4use&l2=Netzteile&l3=ab+500+Watt both of which are internationally known to be solid, dependable, amazing units.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 9 2010, 12:50 am by Excalibur.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Dec 9 2010, 2:27 am NudeRaider Post #22

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Added Ex's suggestions to the above post.

Quote from Excalibur
Nude's too-low-for-what-he-actually-needs price point
Hm, what would I need in your eyes, prices aside? I mean like actually need, not just "nice to have". Would you say a 500W PSU is enough to power a mainstream gaming system 3 years into the future? What compromises might I have to accept?
Oh and don't worry about company policy. I really only want to look at facts here.

Dec 9 2010, 3:58 pm rockz Post #23

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from NudeRaider
I love your answers rockz, always so indirect, and thus leading to more questions than answers. :P
I don't like telling people to "get this". However, I did link you to a list of recommended power supplies, you just had to find one that was in your price range.
Quote from NudeRaider
The EPS12V "aids stability" so what does that mean? In which cases would I need added stability?
when overclocking or very hot. It's not needed, but airbags on cars aren't needed either, right?
Quote from NudeRaider
Btw. the Silverstone Strider 500W has the same problem. It's actually a 400W PSU which can provide 450W without problems and almost 500W. But tbh that's too low for me. I'd probably limit myself too much for my future hardware.
Really? I didn't catch that from the review. I'm only half norwegian and can only count to fifty in the language.
Quote from Excalibur
Also shame on you rockz for recommending OCZ units. After their DDR3 RAM problems and ruining PC Power and Cooling for no better reason than 'lol we bought them', I can't even recommend them if they happen to get something right. Which they still haven't.
I think you're biased against ocz because they released a number of bad units, namely RAM and a number of cheap power supplies. I also recall you blamed the "ram problems" on people who didn't know how to configure their BIOS. While I agree with you that OCZ is not god tier (and you should always go god tier for power supplies if you can), they make a number of good power supplies. It's just difficult to find them, due to OCZ being a shitty company. The stealthxstream series is riddled with problems. 400W is excellent. 500W is terrible. 600W is excellent. 700W is probably terrible. They're also not the same PSUs as the modxstreams, which are slightly worse than the good stealtxstreams, but have high ripple (80+ mV). Corsair usually makes overpriced products and Antec has some poor power supplies.

I'm also a bit skeptical of the 500CX due to the 430CX being so terrible (none of those are 80+, and only the 400cx is made by seasonic).

I've been nothing short of impressed by the Antec True Power line. Also, I just found this website, and I'm in love.
Real Hard TechX PSU Database
Note that it only has one review for the CWT CX models (which say it uses samxon caps, which I think are chinese), but there's a number of reviews for the OCZ fatal1ty 550W (they all say it's not spectacular, but not bad, which is pretty much my opinion of OCZ). If we use newegg as a RMA/failure indicator, it's got a good rating. I see no reason why you should shy away from it if it's indeed a good price.

My opinion on the PSUs:
Get the antec if you can go over. It's phenomenal.
Get the fatal1ty if you can go over by a little and don't mind OCZ being a bad company in general.
Get the corsair or the be quiet if you need to stay under.

Here's some reviews on the be quiet. Both seem to say it's good, though I don't know if they used a load tester.

Finally: a link to someone smarter than me talking about 550-650W psus:
http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/650w-psu-doubt/6248

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 9 2010, 4:13 pm by rockz.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Dec 9 2010, 10:07 pm NudeRaider Post #24

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from rockz
Quote from NudeRaider
Btw. the Silverstone Strider 500W has the same problem. It's actually a 400W PSU which can provide 450W without problems and almost 500W.
Really? I didn't catch that from the review. I'm only half norwegian and can only count to fifty in the language.
I can't read norwegian, so I took this review which states:
Its +12V power is on a single 34 Amp line that provides a maximum of 408 Watts. The +3.3V line has a 24 Amp max and the +5V line tops out at 20 Amps.
I didn't realize I have to add the Watts of the +3.3V and +5V too.
So yeah it delivers definitely more than 500W peak.

As it looks now I'll decide between the fatal1ty and the be quiet. Is there anything important the be quiet is missing or bad at? It doesn't seem so.

Dec 10 2010, 11:52 am Excalibur Post #25

The sword and the faith

The be quiet seems to be a no-name brand with very few reviews around for it.

I must strongly suggest you consider the Antec TPN, as its the best unit in this thread by far.

I'll repeat myself: If you can't pay what you need to pay for a good unit now, don't buy one now. It doesn't look like you need this PSU immediately, and thus saving up an extra 20$ which should be no problem, could be the difference between an amazing unit and one that ranges from mediocre to acceptable.

If you can get a unit like the Antec TPN which has 650w, is modular, is going to last, and isn't going to need to be replaced, it is a much better investment than one that will last for awhile and then need to be replaced, and may take other components along with it. Bad PSUs are dangerous because they can take any component their plugged into down with them when they die. This is the same reason I always recommend solid motherboards as well.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Dec 10 2010, 2:08 pm NudeRaider Post #26

The point of the thread is not finding something that has more than I need, just to be on the safe side, but finding just what I need for the least amount of money.
What do you mean with replacing? Are you saying 500W will need to be replaced for my next computer?
I realize the Antec is an awesome PSU, but if that's the only model that suits my needs then I'd rather buy another fan and repair my current PSU, hoping it won't fry my components until then, than spending that much money in advance. It's not about saving up money btw. I'm just that cheap. ;)

And yes, I'm not planning to buy a cheap PSU that fries my parts. Though none of the discussed PSUs seem to be doing that. And despite the be quiet not having a famous name (yet) it seems they know what's important for PSUs: Stability, safety, efficiency and low noise. At least that's what I get from the available reviews. Feel free to correct me. At this point I want to repeat my question:
Is there anything important the be quiet is missing or bad at?

Dec 10 2010, 2:29 pm rockz Post #27

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Check the reviews on the be quiet. I'll check them later this afternoon; google translate doesn't work for me at work. If it uses japanese/taiwanese caps, it should be good. Both reviews, while not spectacular, seem to test the power supply at least to the 80% mark.

Also, FSP makes the be quiet, so it should be good.

I'd like to throw in my final vote for the Antec though. That's the same price as in the states ($96).

I don't think that the be quiet or the ocz will do you bad, but it's $20 more for 120W, 80+ bronze, and guaranteed quality.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Dec 10 2010, 3:13 pm NudeRaider Post #28

The Antec huh? Then I'll probably get that when I actually need it and just repair my shitty PSU for €5-10 for now. Or I find a fan for free somewhere... hm... :D

Dec 10 2010, 6:44 pm rockz Post #29

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

You'll be happy with the OCZ, be quiet, or the antec. It doesn't matter that much (nothing in computers ever does). Even finding the best "deals" is somewhat of a waste of time. When you're spending 800 on a new computer, the difference between 800 and 900 is minimal, both in performance and in price.

Fans are cheap too, so you can pretty easily replace the fan. Then keep an eye on prices of the PSU's linked in this thread. Once a good one comes around, get it. If you're uncomfortable with fixing the psu, get the fatal1ty. It's modular and has a good track record, and it's likely more efficient than the be quiet.

Next time a seasonic x 650 is under $100 in the US, I'm buying one, I think. that or a 600W 80+ for $50. When you do a lot of computer stuff one can never have too many spare ram/power supplies/hard drives.

Dec 10 2010, 9:55 pm NudeRaider Post #30

Is modular the capability of removing unneeded cables? If not, what is it?

Dec 11 2010, 3:04 am rockz Post #31

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Most modular supplies are either hybrid modular or fully modular. Fully modular means the plugs go into the PSU and the motherboard/peripherals, so you can remove them. Hybrid modular means something cant be removed from the PSU, usually the EPS 12V connector and motherboard connector (these are almost always used). The rest can be taken out. That way you dont' have to stick the excess connectors somewhere, you just leave them in a box in the closet. It's designed to help keep the case clean which improves airflow slightly. It doesn't really affect performance, but it makes ease of use skyrocket (sort of like why you buy a case with a removable motherboard tray).

Dec 11 2010, 9:27 am NudeRaider Post #32

Alright, thanks for all your help guys, especially rockz, who helped vastly in expanding my knowledge about PSUs. I think I now know everything I need to know.
Since even €60 is a lot for something I don't absolutely need (yet) I'll just get a cheap fan from somewhere for now and replace the PSU when I actually need it.

I'll keep my eyes open though, and if I find a good PSU for a low price I'll get it.

Dec 11 2010, 9:35 am ShadowFlare Post #33

Quote from rockz
Next time a seasonic x 650 is under $100 in the US, I'm buying one, I think. that or a 600W 80+ for $50. When you do a lot of computer stuff one can never have too many spare ram/power supplies/hard drives.
rockz: Newegg currently has the SeaSonic X650 for $96 (when you use the 20% off promo code by 12/17) with free shipping. I actually picked one up just this week when earlier in the week I turned off my computer and then my power supply wouldn't turn on anymore when I came back to it a little later (an Enermax unit that I've had for about 3.5 years - warranty was 3 years).

Probably at least a bit overkill for my system, but I liked some features that were listed (the high efficiency, partly because I'm using a battery backup; and that it is silent or quiet, depending on the load) and I'm used to spending about that much on ones intended to go into my primary system anyway. Currently have a CPU with TDP of 95W; Radeon HD 6850, which people say uses slightly less power at idle and only slightly more at full load than a 5770 (difference is in the single digits, IIRC); and 4 hard drives (3 being more efficient with power than the other one).

Some notes on earlier comments:

Quote from rockz
A note I just found on the MOV:
Its main component is called MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) or varistor, labeled RV1 on our schematics, which is responsible for cutting voltage spikes (transients) found on the power line. This is the exact same component found on surge suppressors. The problem, though, is that cheap power supplies don’t carry this component in order to save costs. On power supplies with a MOV, surge suppressors are useless, since they have already a surge suppressor inside them.
If you use a surge protector, you don't actually need an MOV. So don't plug it directly into the wall.
They did not state anywhere that an external surge suppressor can replace the function of the MOV, so you can't assume that. The logic of that kind of statement only works one way, unless they word it in a way that also handles the opposite case.

On a related note, when deciding whether to plug your computer into something for protecting against extreme voltage spikes (like those caused by lightning), their statement about the presence or absence of that component should have no bearing there, because you wouldn't want a dead power supply in either case (even if a protection on your power supply does save the rest of the system).

Quote from rockz
The problem is that the 12 V is out of spec at low wattages (where you will usually be running), along with a number of other problems mentioned at the bottom. It's too bad, because the arctic cooling is the same as the corsair vx 450 and antec EA500, except it has tremendous efficiency. How much will at 10.8 voltage hurt your components? Actually, it won't. It might cause a crash, but it's more likely that it will improve your efficiency.
For the electronics, too low voltage probably won't damage anything, though if low enough it could mean data corruption in RAM or on the CPU, which is what would cause the crash. Basically when the voltage is below the required threshold, some signals might be read as a 0 instead of a 1. If you are cutting it really close, slight voltage fluctuations could be enough to cause it to read as a 0 only some of the times that it should be a 1.

For things with motors, too low volts can potentially cause damage. Fans I've heard of that it happens for sure on some of them when you get them into certain ranges. Of course, they only get that low from manual adjustment, so you're not likely to see that from low volts coming from the power supply. Hard drives could maybe be affected as well, but I'm not certain, because you don't undervolt hard drives intentionally like you might for a fan.

Quote from NudeRaider
The EPS12V "aids stability" so what does that mean? In which cases would I need added stability?
I probably will go for a 4 pin connector since that is what I have right now and later make sure I still get one of the old 4 pin mobos.
There is no need to specifically get either a power supply or motherboard with only a 4 pin connection. Power supplies either have an 8 pin connector that splits or have a separate 4 pin. If you find one that doesn't, you can let the extra 4 hang over. If the motherboard uses an 8 pin, you can still plug a 4-pin into the part that fits and it will work. The extra connections are there to distribute the power between more wires so that it doesn't melt the wires or connector when you have a CPU that uses a lot of power, so it is better to have a power supply that has the 8 pin connector available in case you need it. This also applies to the 24 vs. 20 pin power connector to the motherboard - backward compatible, but you want to have the 24 pin so something doesn't melt it by drawing too much power on too few wires.

Quote from NudeRaider
Btw. while I know rockz is our PSU expert here I wouldn't mind hearing more from Ex or ShadowFlare or whoever for a 2nd opinion.
Thanks for listing me. :lol:

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 11 2010, 9:47 am by ShadowFlare.

None.

Options
  Back to forum