Staredit Network > Forums > Media, Art, and Literature > Topic: Inkscape Recap
Inkscape Recap
Nov 24 2010, 5:35 am
By: Fire_Kame  

Nov 24 2010, 5:35 am Fire_Kame Post #1

wth is starcraft

So Tux suggested to me a little while ago that I should try using Inkscape for layout and vectoring needs. And I thought I'd do a little recap on it. Unfortunately, I've never used illustrator (which I understand is a similar program?) so I can't compare the two.

Pros:
-It is fun to use. I know this seems petty to some people, but I genuinely enjoy using this program.
-It comes with its own fonts, which is neat.
-It loads easier than GIMP, which was a pita when I installed some third party fonts.
-Everything is pretty easy to find on Inkscape. I haven't had to read any help files to understand most of how the program works, which is good enough for me.

Cons:
-Ridiculously unstable. I know that there is a newer version out there than the one I use (I run .47). This program crashes occasionally, usually when I am using several objects of different sizes.
-It has trouble reading my Wacom tablet. The way I found to fix this is by starting Inkscape, disabling my mouse, plugging in the tablet, and then enabling the mouse again. Kind of a pain when you couple it will crashes.

I used it to make an advertisement for my marketing class:

Collapsable Box

Anyways, I would recommend it to people looking for a free alternative if they have patience. I'm hoping as better versions are released, the crashing will stop. The other thing is that I don't want to patch my current version right now, because from what little I've read the newer version doesn't change a whole lot to warrant it.

Nov 24 2010, 5:52 am DevliN Post #2

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

This is slightly off-topic, but in your ad is "braiing" a typo? I Googled it because I had no idea if that was some crazy Colorado thing. :/

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 24 2010, 5:55 am Fire_Kame Post #3

wth is starcraft

Its an advertisement for South Africa. :) Braiing is a past time pretty much like holding a barbecue. :)

http://hubpages.com/hub/South-African-Barbecue

Nov 24 2010, 6:01 am DevliN Post #4

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Oh, neat! Haha I like how in South African culture, women don't take part in the braaiing as the men prefer to do it, just like in the States. Cooking is for the queers, but BARBEQUING IS FUCKING MANLY! right? Speaking of I have a damn pie to bake for Thanksgiving...

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 26 2010, 7:15 pm Fire_Kame Post #5

wth is starcraft

Program in use...

Options
  Back to forum