Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: Shattered Land [Working Title]
Shattered Land [Working Title]
Oct 31 2010, 12:14 pm
By: NicholasBeige  

Nov 2 2010, 9:47 am NicholasBeige Post #21

@Payne: their are a couple reasons why I want to keep it single-player.

Call me old fashioned (or perfectionist) but the design brief I set myself for this project was to make a really fun map that doesn't require more than one player. Furthermore, I have limited the tileset to 152x176, the reason for this is to reuse regions and areas for multiple quests and plot events. I am aiming for around 3 hours of real-time gameplay per run through, and this is assuming the player starts at level 0, and completes 75% of the side-quests. Additionally, I am considering a 'Hard-Core' mode, where, like in Diablo 2, if you die, it is game over. The real challenge will be to utilise the space available in the map, to create a diverse plot-line and quests that change the surrounding... Such as outposts becoming infested, you clear it out, then SCVs rebuild it and colonists repopulate it... Or, if it is infected for too long, then the Protoss come and purify it and the radiation creates new enemies and mobs etc... Purely examples at this stage however.

Another, sort of arbitrary reason is that whenever I played an online RPG for Warcraft 3 - my memory of it was me being a low leveled nooblet, and then the other players all being level 100 with godlike inventory and 30,000 hitpoints... I just didn't enjoy playing in that sort of environment. In the rare occasion where their would be another nooblet playing with me, they would get bored and leave :s.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 2 2010, 9:55 am by Cardinal.

None.

Nov 2 2010, 10:47 am NicholasBeige Post #22

Quick update:

This is the intro music for the beginning cinematic. I am using the first 50 to 60 seconds of this song by The Aliens, it is called Daffodils and is on their album Luna. If you like what you hear, I'd definitely recommend checking them out, particularly this album and Astronomy for Dogs.

None.

Nov 2 2010, 11:15 pm Tempz Post #23

as long its top down there should be absolutely no reason that it shouldn't Payne >:O Btw i went naked this Halloween ;)

None.

Nov 3 2010, 1:32 am NicholasBeige Post #24

Status report. Gonna keep this brief

1. Alpha release (for SEN only) will have 7 playable missions. All missions offer a choice in:
a) how to do the mission and
b) you get to pick your reward for completing said mission

2. The ammunition system is looking great. Dual wielding two pistols will make the gun twice as effective (duh) but also eat up twice as much ammunition (duh duh)

3. I've added a custom user interface... nothing major... just a status and health bar.. I don't want you using that minimap to see how I've created so much content in such a small map ;)...

and now on to the not so good stuf..

1. Turns out that creating stackable items is a pain in the giblets. I might resort to a temporary workaround in which quest items, and ammunition are handled like Items, but do not show up in your inventory. You'll just get a boring counter integer variable instead...

2. Balancing... this is where you lot come in! With all these weapons, ammunition types, different mobs, different drops, mission rewards, a night/day system, needing to sleep etc... ALL of this needs rigorous playtesting and balancing...

Usually when I make a map I like to perfect each new implementation as I go... But in the last week or so, it has become painfully apparent that if I were to continue doing this - the map will be ready for Starcraft 3. So, my new methodology is implement, design and implement some more. The initial balancing and first coat of polish will be added just before I go to alpha and the rest of it will come after Alpha.

I plan for Beta to have 25 'missions' in total.. I call them missions because quests sounds a bit dated.. 7 of these are 'Main Missions', the other 18 are separated into Jobs, Tasks and Side-Missions (side-quests)... I intend to create between 2 and 3 hours of game-play in this map. I'm afraid to say a little bit of this time (maybe 10%) will be taken up with cut-scenes and cinematics. They're cool tho, so don't worry.

The Beta release will be to test the additional features and missions, and also to balance the final outcome of the game.

Without getting everyones hopes up, I have set the Alpha release for January-ish 2011... and a Beta in March 2011...

None.

Nov 3 2010, 4:39 am payne Post #25

:payne:

Take note: Cinematics get extremely annoying and makes the replay value decrease if you force players to watch them multiple times.
Solution: Use Banks to determine if the player has already seen the cinematic. Or you could simply add a "Skip Cinematic" option.

Just play NOTD, a map on B.Net, a few times, and you should understand. (Though I haven't played this map for a while, when I used to play it a lot, it had a few cinematics that were really annoying and kinda useless.)

None.

Nov 3 2010, 11:03 am NicholasBeige Post #26

Oh, 90% of them you can skip, of course.... nothing is more boring than repetitively watching a cinematic...

I use a lot of camerfa objects when you are talking to npcs and discussing quests or even buying/selling items. I didn't want the map to be 3rd person, or top down - but i still want to show off the awesome terrain!

None.

Nov 13 2010, 8:05 am payne Post #27

:payne:

Any updates? :O

None.

Nov 15 2010, 1:33 pm NicholasBeige Post #28

Quote from name:Update:
  • Ammunition System
    • Ballistic Weapons (ie. pistols, rifles, machine guns etc)
      • 25% complete.
      • Current issue: Need to find a way to make Magazines Stackable in inventory.
    • Energy Weapons (ie. blasters, plasma rifles, devastator etc)
      • 18% complete.
      • These weapons use a Crystal as ammunition.
      • The Crystal acts as infinite ammunition - however it is prone to over-heating.
      • The more you use a single Crystal, the quicker it over-heats.
      • The effectiveness or 'purity' of a Crystal diminishes over time as you use it.
      • Certain Crystals give bonuses on attack, such as critical damage or bonus dmg vs Shields.
    • Explosve/Incendiary Weapons (ie. grenade/rocket launchers, flamethowers)
      • 0% complete.
      • This is going to be completed when the issue with Conventional weapons ammo is resolved.

• Attatchment System
    • You can attatch certain components to certain weapons for bonuses.
      • Scope - +2 range (attaches to Rifle-class Weapons)
      • Laser Sight - +10% Critical Damage at 1.5x (attaches to Pistol-class Weapons)
      • Gas-Operated Mechanism - +20% attack speed (attaches to all Conventional weapons)
      • Ammunition Belt - -25% reload time (attaches to Machinegun-class Weapons)
      • Grenade Launcher - Gives a 12.5% chance to launch a grenade on attack (attaches to Rifle-class Weapons)
      • Silencer - Causes attacks to 'draw less aggro', by minimizing the 'scan range' of nearby hostiles. (attaches to Pistol and Rifle-class Weapons)
    • The Quality rating of a weapon will determine how many attachments it can hold.
      • Poor/Average Quality - 0 attachments
      • Well-made - 0-1 attachments (at a 25% rate of occurance)
      • Good Quality - 1-2 attachments (at a 12.5% rate of occurance)
      • Exceptional Quality - 2-3 attachments (at a 7.5% rate of occurance)

This is currently what Items look like.

Note: I haven't added the Quality bracket yet. And I am considering replacing the Rarity bracket with Quality.

None.

Nov 18 2010, 12:18 am Tempz Post #29

You should probably put some hidden godly weapons in the game :)

None.

Nov 18 2010, 12:42 am NicholasBeige Post #30

Oh.. don't worry.. you can hack into a Dominion Security Terminal and that unlocks an Ion Cannon as your weapon :)... a big fuck of huge satellite that orbits the planet unleashing stupid amounts of damage :)

Oops.. not so secret now, it'll still be hidden though :)

None.

Nov 18 2010, 10:47 pm Tempz Post #31

:drool: Ummm... EPIC WIN

Edit : you should start to class weapons as certain items can be mistaken

None.

Nov 19 2010, 12:48 am NicholasBeige Post #32

What do you mean 'start to class weapons'?

You mean the Tooltips are misleading?

Any ideas on how I can make it clearer?

None.

Nov 29 2010, 12:06 am NicholasBeige Post #33

Quote from name:Storyline:
The events take place on Iridix-Q9, a planet on the outskirts of the Koprulu sector. Following the events after the Brood War, the Zerg disappeared into a suspected hibernation. The Terran factions began recolonising and rebuilding their broken worlds.

The story of Iridix-Q9 is a strange one. A minor colony with industry in mining, farming and neosteel processing. Tucked away on the outskirts with minor military presence and even less access to communication with the rest of the galaxy.

Entire villages and towns started to disappear. It all began with colonists going out to work, and then not returning at night. The Queen of Blades was using Iridix-Q9 and countless other fringe-worlds as testing grounds for new ways to infest humans. Vast underground networks housed hundreds of cocoons and infestors who set about creating new toxins and venoms for the infestation of Terran worlds.

Now with the Queen of Blades returned to her human form. These vast tunnel networks are still home to renegade Zerg and other strange races. Furthermore a group of Tal'Darim refugees who fled the assault on their homeworld have set up base on this fringe world.

You play as a Terran colonist who has been forced to take up arms and ensure the safety of his brothers and sisters on his home-colony.

The story stretches between 'The Surface' and 'The Tunnels'. With a series of missions involving interplay between the Zerg, Protoss and renegade Terran forces who all seek dominance and control over this mysterious fringe world.

Note: I typed this up as a rough draft. I also tried to avoid as many spoilers as possible (and as such, it looks pretty bland/generic).

None.

Nov 30 2010, 4:24 pm Tempz Post #34

Description : Pistols, bigger is better
Class : Pistols
Damage : 1337

you get what I'm trying to do here :O

None.

Options
  Back to forum