Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: the Piss Corner
the Piss Corner
Oct 7 2010, 8:01 pm
By: UnholyUrine  

Oct 14 2010, 10:11 pm Neki Post #21

Quote from NudeRaider
Hm, are you sure the map you're criticizing isn't just a SC2 version of Desert Strike in disguise? Or maybe Sand Castle Wars? This sure looks like it...

Btw. the way Sand Castle Wars deals with "blobs of death" is that there's chokes in the terrain that can be blocked off with liftable buildings to collect units behind this gate and battle the blob from high ground. Too bad SC2 doesn't give advantage for high ground anymore (as long as you can see it).
Maybe he is, I consider Nexus Wars and Desert Strike on Starcraft 2 to be basically the same genre, basically build tug-o-war is what I shall refer to them from now on. Both Desert Strike and Nexus Wars on Starcraft II are very linear maps with no real terrain providing an advantage so I don't think the blob death would be destroyed in this case, which is why you need a nuke.

None.

Oct 14 2010, 10:48 pm NudeRaider Post #22

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

That's what I'm saying... instead of nuke alter the map terrain so you can use that to battle a blob.
You don't necessarily need terrain advantage. A gate of sorts + defenses might be enough unless you let the blog grow too large.

Oct 14 2010, 10:56 pm Neki Post #23

Well the other players could always build custom defenses (which usually happens in anticipation of the giant blob) but I do agree, a nuke is kind of a cop-out to a proper solution to this problem. I don't think the creator of Nexus Wars cares about that though, because it's still one of the most popular maps regardless of it's inherent flaws. :P

None.

Oct 14 2010, 10:58 pm TiKels Post #24

Desert strike (on sc2) is a remake of desert strike. If you read the first post, which you obviously didn't, he described the game as being like sand castle wars. Blobs are caused by incompetent players, walling in units causes them to teleport outside the wall. If you maintain good counters and such you wont ever get blobs. You CAN make defenses. If you get blob'd and you nuke it, you'll notice that the enemy blob comes right back 90% of the time. This would be because the enemy team has better/more buildings than you.

Quote from Dungeon-Master
couldn't someone re-make the high ground advantage in a map? Isn't galaxy editor supposed to be able to do anything?
Theoretically yes but it'd take a lot more programming than it's worth for the quality of the project.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Oct 14 2010, 11:50 pm Neki Post #25

Quote from TiKels
Desert strike (on sc2) is a remake of desert strike. If you read the first post, which you obviously didn't, he described the game as being like sand castle wars. Blobs are caused by incompetent players, walling in units causes them to teleport outside the wall. If you maintain good counters and such you wont ever get blobs. You CAN make defenses. If you get blob'd and you nuke it, you'll notice that the enemy blob comes right back 90% of the time. This would be because the enemy team has better/more buildings than you.

Quote from Dungeon-Master
couldn't someone re-make the high ground advantage in a map? Isn't galaxy editor supposed to be able to do anything?
Theoretically yes but it'd take a lot more programming than it's worth for the quality of the project.
I don't think good counters will stop a blob in most cases though, sometimes there is just too much momentum from a lot units slowly picking off a small stream of reinforcements, going back to the idea that any ranged unit in mass numbers can almost defeat any melee unit that are being tossed at them in small numbers. Like let's say you make more Banelings in an attempt to stop a mass marine force, even though the banelings effectively counter it, they'll never get close enough to completely obliterate the ball.

None.

Oct 15 2010, 4:23 am UnholyUrine Post #26

Naw.. most of the time when I nuke, my units start to blob the opposite way.

The closest enounter in which the blob was about to reform was when they started massing immortals and void rays.. I had to nuke, and i built zling while my ally built vikings.

Still.. when I watched the replay, the immortal + void ray blob was really formed by only 4 buildings.. two for each.

I thought desert strike was more different than Sand Castle wars, because all ur units go at once against another player.

None.

Options
  Back to forum