Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Non-HD TV's to turn off in 2009?
Non-HD TV's to turn off in 2009?
Nov 20 2007, 9:20 pm
By: lil-Inferno  

Nov 25 2007, 9:45 pm frazz Post #21

Quote from Akar
Good thing I don't watch TV. The guy who made it is right, it is the biggest waste of time ever.
a) Who made it?
b) Can you give a cite that says he says so? Any website with "What the media doesn't want you to know!" as the main title probably doesn't count.

None.

Nov 30 2007, 10:14 pm Paravin. Post #22

Quote from AntiSleep
I don't have a TV.

I live in a cardboard box. In the middle of a junkyard.

None.

Dec 2 2007, 7:24 pm JordanN Post #23

In Canada it's 2011.

None.

Dec 2 2007, 7:44 pm frazz Post #24

In Soviet Russia it's 1102.

That didn't work out quite right. meh.

None.

Dec 3 2007, 7:45 am MasterJohnny Post #25

If you have cable or sat you will be fine.

# In Australia, the government originally planned a switch-off in 2008. This has now been delayed to a "to be determined" date in 2010-2012. Until that time, free-to-air stations will be simulcast, along with digital only channels like ABC2. Since 1999, regulations have required that all locally-made free-to-air television shows be in 16:9 widescreen format. Cable Television Networks began broadcasting in simulcast from 2004 and analogue cable services were switched-off in June 2007.
# In Belgium, the situation is rather complex, as media regulations are under regional legislation. The Flemish region has announced that it will switch analogue television off on December 31, 2008, because coverage is already at 99 percent. The Wallonian Region has not yet announced a date and is expected to follow the European dates because the geographic difficulties to cover the whole region. In Wallonia there is already an 80 percent DTT coverage.
# In Brazil, the free-to-air digital transmissions will start on December 2, 2007[10] in São Paulo, but broadcasting companies must transmit signals in both analogue and digital formats until June 2016.
# In Bulgaria, the switch-off will be completed in December 2012.
# In Canada, the main free-to-air broadcasters (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, CTV, and Global) have launched HD streams of their programming. Originally, unlike in the other countries, Canada was allowing the market to determine when the analogue switch-off begins. As a result, currently analogue and digital broadcasts co-exist, with virtually the only way to receive digital TV in much of the country via cable or satellite TV. However, in some urban areas like Toronto, it's also possible to pick up DTV over-the-air, though as of May 2007 there are less than 20 digital television stations in Canada. On May 17, 2007, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC, Canada's broadcasting authority) ruled that television stations would indeed be forced to switch to ATSC digital broadcasting by the end of August 2011, and that analogue NTSC channels must then be dropped, except in remote and northern regions where analogue transmission may continue for an undetermined period.(Wikinews)
# In China, the switch-off is scheduled to be in 2015.
# In Denmark, digital transmission has started and the analogue net will be closed at the end of October 2009.
# In Greece, the switch-off will completed after the end of 2010. [3]
# In Hong Kong, analogue broadcasting is planned to be switched off by 2012.[11]
# In Ireland, the government aims to complete the digital switchover by/in 2012.
# In Italy, the government aims to complete the digital switchover by 2012.
# In Japan, analogue transmissions will be terminated nationwide in July 24, 2011.
# In Kenya , The Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) announced that the country will start digital broadcasting by 2012 and analogue transmissions will be stopped in June 17, 2015 [12].
# In Malaysia, Information Ministry was planning to shut down the country's analogue television system in phases beginning from 2009 and set to convert to full digital TV in 2015.
# In Mexico, there is a 20-year plan to switch.
# In New Zealand, shutting down of analogue TV transmissions is planned to happen between 2013 and 2017
# In Norway, the switch-off will start in late 2007 and finish by 2009.
# In the Philippines, the National Telecommunications Commission will terminate all analog television transmission on December 31, 2015.
# In Slovenia, the switch-off will be completed in 2010.
# In South Africa, the switch-off will start in November 2008 in preparation for the 2010 Soccer World Cup and should be completed by mid 2011.
# In South Korea, analogue transmissions will be terminated nationwide in December 31, 2012.
# In Spain, the switch-off will be completed on April 3, 2010.
# In Russia, the switch-off is scheduled to be completed in 2015[13].
# In Ukraine, analogue transmissions will be terminated on July 17, 2015[14].
# In the United States, all U.S. television broadcasts will be exclusively digital as of February 17, 2009, by order of the Federal Communications Commission.

All that from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television

I am a Mathematician

Dec 3 2007, 11:16 am ShadowFlare Post #26

Quote from lil-Inferno
O.k., well it went a little off-topic and Family Guy is a GREAT SHOW lol, but now I have some clarity that T.V.'s with antennaes will be blacked out, and btw I have none of those.
Well, whether you see black, blue, static, or something else depends on the TV. :P

Those who have digital cable or satellite TV won't see any interruption of service at all, regardless of the type of TV. It is possible the quality of some stations may improve as a result, though (even for the standard resolution versions). As far as analog cable TV, I don't really know what will happen with that or whether it is affected by the regulation. Even if it isn't, it is possible some cable providers may force people to upgrade to digital cable anyway.

None.

Dec 5 2007, 1:17 am frazz Post #27

I love how people continue to answer the original question in the first post even after it's been addressed 5 times in the first page.

None.

Dec 5 2007, 6:04 am blacklight28 Post #28

Quote from MasterJohnny

# In Australia, the government originally planned a switch-off in 2008. This has now been delayed to a "to be determined" date in 2010-2012. Until that time, free-to-air stations will be simulcast, along with digital only channels like ABC2. Since 1999, regulations have required that all locally-made free-to-air television shows be in 16:9 widescreen format. Cable Television Networks began broadcasting in simulcast from 2004 and analogue cable services were switched-off in June 2007.
# In Belgium, the situation is rather complex, as media regulations are under regional legislation. The Flemish region has announced that it will switch analogue television off on December 31, 2008, because coverage is already at 99 percent. The Wallonian Region has not yet announced a date and is expected to follow the European dates because the geographic difficulties to cover the whole region. In Wallonia there is already an 80 percent DTT coverage.
# In Brazil, the free-to-air digital transmissions will start on December 2, 2007[10] in São Paulo, but broadcasting companies must transmit signals in both analogue and digital formats until June 2016.
# In Bulgaria, the switch-off will be completed in December 2012.
# In Canada, the main free-to-air broadcasters (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, CTV, and Global) have launched HD streams of their programming. Originally, unlike in the other countries, Canada was allowing the market to determine when the analogue switch-off begins. As a result, currently analogue and digital broadcasts co-exist, with virtually the only way to receive digital TV in much of the country via cable or satellite TV. However, in some urban areas like Toronto, it's also possible to pick up DTV over-the-air, though as of May 2007 there are less than 20 digital television stations in Canada. On May 17, 2007, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC, Canada's broadcasting authority) ruled that television stations would indeed be forced to switch to ATSC digital broadcasting by the end of August 2011, and that analogue NTSC channels must then be dropped, except in remote and northern regions where analogue transmission may continue for an undetermined period.(Wikinews)
# In China, the switch-off is scheduled to be in 2015.
# In Denmark, digital transmission has started and the analogue net will be closed at the end of October 2009.
# In Greece, the switch-off will completed after the end of 2010. [3]
# In Hong Kong, analogue broadcasting is planned to be switched off by 2012.[11]
# In Ireland, the government aims to complete the digital switchover by/in 2012.
# In Italy, the government aims to complete the digital switchover by 2012.
# In Japan, analogue transmissions will be terminated nationwide in July 24, 2011.
# In Kenya , The Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) announced that the country will start digital broadcasting by 2012 and analogue transmissions will be stopped in June 17, 2015 [12].
# In Malaysia, Information Ministry was planning to shut down the country's analogue television system in phases beginning from 2009 and set to convert to full digital TV in 2015.
# In Mexico, there is a 20-year plan to switch.
# In New Zealand, shutting down of analogue TV transmissions is planned to happen between 2013 and 2017
# In Norway, the switch-off will start in late 2007 and finish by 2009.
# In the Philippines, the National Telecommunications Commission will terminate all analog television transmission on December 31, 2015.
# In Slovenia, the switch-off will be completed in 2010.
# In South Africa, the switch-off will start in November 2008 in preparation for the 2010 Soccer World Cup and should be completed by mid 2011.
# In South Korea, analogue transmissions will be terminated nationwide in December 31, 2012.
# In Spain, the switch-off will be completed on April 3, 2010.
# In Russia, the switch-off is scheduled to be completed in 2015[13].
# In Ukraine, analogue transmissions will be terminated on July 17, 2015[14].
# In the United States, all U.S. television broadcasts will be exclusively digital as of February 17, 2009, by order of the Federal Communications Commission.

All that from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television

Unless the guy on wikipedia is lying, that's weird, why would they shut down all non-HDs... What's the point besides having all the TV companies making more money.

None.

Dec 5 2007, 7:23 am MasterJohnny Post #29

Because the analog spectrum is being wasted?

I am a Mathematician

Dec 6 2007, 10:44 am Sie_Sayoka Post #30

Quote from blacklight28
Unless the guy on wikipedia is lying, that's weird, why would they shut down all non-HDs... What's the point besides having all the TV companies making more money.

Are you not listening? This has nothing to do with HDTV

None.

Dec 6 2007, 5:28 pm Twitch Post #31

So this doean't have to deal with hdtv's it has to deal with digitel cable for the U.S. Now ofcourse that would mean they are trying to get you to change over to a hdtv.
Either way I find this very strange :/.

None.

Dec 6 2007, 10:07 pm Nintendo_Confed Post #32

Shouldnt this go in Techology and Computers?
Anyways, i think that they are doing this to force people to upgrade, therefore, moving everyone torward the future. Also, its so that the HDTV sellers make more money :P

None.

Dec 7 2007, 11:56 pm MasterJohnny Post #33

Quote from Nintendo_Confed
Shouldnt this go in Techology and Computers?
Anyways, i think that they are doing this to force people to upgrade, therefore, moving everyone torward the future. Also, its so that the HDTV sellers make more money :P
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HDTV!
It has to do with the analog signal being wasted
digital signal has better quality and the only people who should be against this is people without cable or sat or a tv that cannot get digital signal

I am a Mathematician

Dec 8 2007, 2:00 am frazz Post #34

Wow, apparently some people are first page disabled. Actually, some people are everything but the very last post disabled.

Besides, digital signals will continue over the air, you just need a converter, IF you're just using an antenna or bunny ears.

None.

Options
  Back to forum