Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: Fatal Labyrinth
Fatal Labyrinth
Aug 16 2010, 8:29 am
By: deathfromace  

Aug 16 2010, 8:29 am deathfromace Post #1

TITLE
I am working on a remake of one of my favorite sega games that goes by the same title. It is meant to be a dungeon crawler type game with a somewhat limited RPG aspect to it. I am attempting to keep it as faithful to the original as possible but some things will change such as I have two players.

SPECIFICATIONS
  • Players
    1-2 players
  • Map Tileset
    Ulaan (cave)
  • Map Size
    256x256..multiple labyrinths per map

STORYLINE/INTRODUCTION
Kill Dragon and reclaim the Holy Goblet

FEATURES
  • WASD controls with reason. Meant to add depth to actually being in the labyrinth..instead of clicking though.
  • Other features are still being added/worked on

DETAILS (for RPGs and the like)
  • Characters
    Hero

• Weapons
    Daggers, swords, shuriken, staffs, potions, apples, shields, bows, axes...etc
    **Other then dagger/sword/apple other items are being worked on.

SCREENSHOTS/DEMO

Current start of the map

You can pick to play though with the UI hidden and only a boss bar or with the UI. Though at the moment in order to check level/xp gain you must unhide the UI though it is only a button away.

Its really dark and dusty in here

What way should I take?

OH NO! A zergling and I forgot my weapon at the start.

Sigh...to bad the save feature is missing

**The music on the video is actually what I was listening to...was unaware it would record that so enjoy some Queen.

PROGRESS
  • IDEAS (75%)
  • TERRAIN (4%)
  • UNIT PLACEMENT (1%)
  • TRIGGERS (.5%)

UPDATES
  • 08/16/2010 (Date of last change)
    Starting labyrinth finished. Just working on enemy placement

Made with the Map Production template.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 16 2010, 9:18 am by deathfromace.

None.

Aug 16 2010, 9:00 am DevliN Post #2

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Looks pretty cool, so far. Are you going to add to the UI at all or just leave it that empty?

Also, there are ways to create a custom save system, though I'm not sure how to do it myself. Perhaps that would be something to look into, as well.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 16 2010, 9:15 am deathfromace Post #3

I attempted to make a custom UI and it did not go so well. This is my first attempt at creating a custom map so my knowledge on a lot of things is very limited and doing this all myself it is taking some time. Just for what I have has been about 6+hrs a day for a week or two. Funny thing is if I had to do it again it would take me a better part of a day >.>

I have tried to use a save/load feature someone uploaded on another site and I can say that I had no idea what I was looking at and the "simple copy and paste" was not simple at all so I ended up ditching it in hopes I find an actual system that is easy to add or learn how to do it myself.

None.

Aug 16 2010, 4:38 pm payne Post #4

:payne:

Will this be submitted to the Blizzard Contest? :awesome:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 16 2010, 4:45 pm by payne.

None.

Aug 16 2010, 7:30 pm deathfromace Post #5

Not really sure but wouldn't this count as displaying it?

None.

Aug 16 2010, 7:32 pm DevliN Post #6

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Technically yes, but I think they're more worried about sharing it. Then again, I can't seem to find where SC2Mapster got the idea that maps can't be displayed beforehand.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 16 2010, 7:45 pm deathfromace Post #7

I can't find that anywhere in the rules either so maybe it was misread on something. I will enter it but there are people with 5+ teams out there and its only me with very limited knowledge. The two main things I need to get my map off the ground is a save/load feature and a random dungeon generator would help a lot because if I had those I could only worry about adding items and custom spells for the enemies. I am also thinking it might be a neat little idea that if I can't get a RDG I can have people from the SCII community submit one to me (a labyrinth) because I am planning on having about 25-30 of them per map. And of course the people that decided to submit one would get credit for it.

None.

Aug 17 2010, 2:44 pm deathfromace Post #8

Would anyone like to test the map with me? I have come to find out I tend to miss player 2 triggers time to time as its not something I can test. And honest feedback is welcome. If so add me seanm1000@hotmail.com

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 17 2010, 4:03 pm by deathfromace.

None.

Aug 27 2010, 5:35 am StormTemplar Post #9

I wouldnt mind helping you. However, I would like to know how you got the unit to see so little. Normally the LOS is so much greater and reveals past cliffs.

None.

Aug 28 2010, 11:29 am deathfromace Post #10

I have sight-blockers on all the walls and reduced the sight range on the zealot unit in the data editor.

None.

Oct 31 2010, 8:45 pm Tempz Post #11

Looks pretty good so far... Good job

None.

Options
  Back to forum