Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Can we expand across the Solar System?
Can we expand across the Solar System?
Nov 13 2007, 7:19 pm
By: frazz
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6

Dec 4 2007, 2:04 am ShadowFlare Post #101

There's also fuels that can be made from plants, which are basically more of a renewable resource.

As far as water, there is enough that any method of bringing in outside water would be pointless. Making many desalination plants to gradually make more fresh water from sea water would likely be less costly. Though I'm unsure what kinds of environmental impacts it might have, especially if pumped inland in mass quantities. It would still have less of an environmental impact than bringing in an outside source, though.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 4 2007, 2:27 am by ShadowFlare.

None.

Dec 4 2007, 8:33 am BeDazed Post #102

water can be recycled.
[quote]
Quote from yenku
Quote from BeDazed
Mars.
Right, because Mars holds all the solutions to our problems.
Quote from BeDazed
1) The sooner we prepare, the better we can handle things thrown at us. Also, the big problem why oil is such a big fuss is because its product is for power, materials for road, materials for types of plastic, and medicines.
You're right. I never said we should exhaust it though.
Quote from BeDazed
2) So does your solution include mass genocide? That would be a good solution Mr.
Yes. I love genocide.
Come on man... Do you think that linearly?
Quote from BeDazed
3) It doesn't take years. It takes a year to get us to Jupiter. If you mean outside of our solar system, then that wouldn't be feasible for another few centuries- which I doubt by the current system we are running in will hold us that long with just Earth.
I don't see any planet in our solar system doing us any good.
Quote from BeDazed
4) A ship only needs enough fuel to stop, and change trajectories. Once it is in motion, it won't stop until it reaches its destination- that is space. You do not need your engine running constantly. There is no friction to stop motion.
I know how forces work in the absence of friction, thank you.
Quote from BeDazed
Humans don't live off of just environment by itself.
Oh yeah? Tell me how we aren't living off of our environment.
Quote from BeDazed
Running out of oil without an alternate energy source will lead to massive chaos
That's a great reason of why I believe we need another source, among many other reasons.

Again, you do not argue why we cannot solve our problems on our own planet, which is what I argued.

Quote from BeDazed
water can be recycled.
Because we can obviously do both at a time. Society is supposed to multitask accordingly. And I have mentioned about how we live off our eco-systems, is because we've adapted systems which do not change largely because of weathers and natural disasters. We develope technology to alter eco-systems, and so on.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 4 2007, 8:44 am by BeDazed.

None.

Dec 4 2007, 10:56 am ShadowFlare Post #103

Yeah, for one thing, any water that has evaporated you could say has been "recycled" or is starting to be.

None.

Dec 14 2007, 2:39 am Vi3t-X Post #104

If we do expand, my first choice would be Mars. We can terraform it in perhaps 100 years with our current technology.

1) Setup "Magno-Ship-Alpha" which will reach Mars in 2-3 years. -- Starting Date: 2010 --
2) MSA will reflect solar power towards the liquid ice cap (I think it was the southern cap)
3) Once rivers are reborn into the planet, "CS-1 or ColonyShip-1" will be designated by trained professionals to setup a base camp in that area. CS-1 will also deploy Algaea.
4) Once there is enough oxygen produced by the Algaea, CS-2 will land, baring colonists who begin their new life.
5) Mars supports a vast variety of resources, but since stellar trade is quite annoying, the M colony will use it to develop some sort of infastructure.
6) Mars develops advanced communications, by now, CS-1 and 2 have been scrapped to provide for the colonists. MSA will be released down many KM away from the base. MSA will be scapped

The year is 2102, Mars is as lush and green as Earth. Population: 1.2 billion. Mars' economy is flurishing, and adapting to the climate is much easier. People have begun to notice that the soil is much richer and with the growing use of Hydroponics, less land is needed to cultivate large masses of food. People have begun mining into the core for iron, and scientists have begun learning how to manipulate atomic structures to realize the wonders of Alchemy, lead is being turned into gold, and the world is in aw...

None.

Dec 14 2007, 2:42 am Vi3t-X Post #105

Quote from ShadowFlare
There's also fuels that can be made from plants, which are basically more of a renewable resource. As far as water, there is enough that any method of bringing in outside water would be pointless. Making many desalination plants to gradually make more fresh water from sea water would likely be less costly. Though I'm unsure what kinds of environmental impacts it might have, especially if pumped inland in mass quantities. It would still have less of an environmental impact than bringing in an outside source, though.

You bring up water as a point:

water is renewable: CORRECT
FRESHWATER IS RENEWABLE: INCORRECT

if there was a way to renew Seawater into freshwater, it've been done by now.

Correct, bringing water from elsewhere is pointless.

To bring 1L of water to the moon would cost millions of dollars, I swear it.

None.

Dec 14 2007, 6:07 am ShadowFlare Post #106

Quote from Vi3t-X

Oh, it can be done, has been done, and people are still doing it. It has just been too expensive to do it on a large enough scale to fulfill everyone's water needs. There are areas needing water in some poorer countries where some organizations have donated some equipment for making the water usable. Of course, it is only typically able to process enough water to fulfill the needs of maybe a small community, from what I've heard.

One process that can be used for this is distillation, which basically yields pure water. After that, some minerals can be added to make it be like most water is that people would drink.

Besides available methods for processing the water, if any new, less expensive methods of doing this were developed, it would become more practical. Even if not, if enough money was invested into it then it would still work out. Basically money is the key to it. As long as less expensive means of getting fresh water are available, no one is likely to resort to the more expensive method. Even hauling ice from the ice caps may be less expensive than processing an equivalent amount of sea water or ocean water (though I don't actually know whether that is true).

None.

Jan 5 2008, 12:13 pm Kyuubi. Post #107

humans would have the capability to expand across the universe, but it'll take a lot of time, planning, and resources. to think, many sci-fi movies and games -- even maybe something like starcraft are becoming more of reality as time passes. our technology is still advancing, we have the technology to build robots to excavate planets and such.

i've read some of this stuff out of an astronomy book.
if we want to strive on living, we can attempt to do things as necessary to survive.
we can create an artifical planet for us to live on. we can even try to propell the earth itself out its orbit and out of dangers like incoming asteroids and exploding stars to somewhere else, our ideas are endless and as time passes those ideas might come into action.
i've also read a rumor somewhere that we grew some crops using lunar soil, which is wierd but it opens up new theories and possibilities.

None.

Mar 5 2008, 3:42 am midget_man_66 Post #108

Well, it seems to me that we have enough, all though as sie_sayoka put it, costly technology to be ably to build Mass-Transport in space. After constructed in space...we MAY be able to move some colonies to the inner part of the Asteroid belt, where the asteroids rotate the sun slower than that of the outer asteroid belt. In the asteroid we should mine, where we KNOW we can find useful minerals and other things that we dont need to harves from our own planet. Once the accumulation in the ateroid colonies is a surplus, then construction of a larger fleet of space-navigating mass-transportation is plausable. Most likely none of this will be done in our lifetime. Let alone, another lifetime. The theory is a bit risky and it heavily relies on the accuracy of humans to properly navigate around the asteroids. Constantly calculating collisions, avoiding guysers. Its a big hassle, but hey! its my plan for gettin' outta here. ^^

None.

Mar 5 2008, 11:17 pm frazz Post #109

Would you please look at the post dates? The last post was two months ago, and the one before that was another month old.

None.

Mar 6 2008, 10:26 pm midget_man_66 Post #110

dudez. Totally read the book by isaac asimov, its bout some space station that discovers extraliminal space travel, and they move to another solar system....Nemesis. thats what it called, it took me a second to remember... Nemesis, Isaac Asmiov (i-robot, and Bicentenial man)

None.

Mar 20 2008, 2:42 am The Great Yam Post #111

You want an interesting take on space travel? How about a one man, one way to ticket to mars? Yeah, there's a dude out there who worked at NASA and believes a multi-person mission is out of the picture, considering the time, money and supplies, so a one way trip where the guy has enough food for a significant period and also will possibly create his own water and air out of Martian materials.

Of course, as technologies improve and time goes on, other people can travel up there, but it's the haul of back and forth that's kept NASA from ever sending men to Mars.

None.

Mar 24 2008, 5:22 pm Syphon Post #112

Quote from Vi3t-X
Quote from ShadowFlare
There's also fuels that can be made from plants, which are basically more of a renewable resource. As far as water, there is enough that any method of bringing in outside water would be pointless. Making many desalination plants to gradually make more fresh water from sea water would likely be less costly. Though I'm unsure what kinds of environmental impacts it might have, especially if pumped inland in mass quantities. It would still have less of an environmental impact than bringing in an outside source, though.

Correct, bringing water from elsewhere is pointless.

To bring 1L of water to the moon would cost millions of dollars, I swear it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6
  Back to forum