Apr 28 2010, 6:38 pm Leeroy_Jenkins Post #41

What happened to the old articles? ...

None.

Apr 28 2010, 7:20 pm Forsaken Archer Post #42

David: http://www.staredit.net/wiki/Special:Version
Done.

None.

Apr 28 2010, 9:05 pm DavidJCobb Post #43

Got a decent amount of progress on a SC1 unit infobox, and an article demonstrating it.

Template:StarCraft Unit Infobox is the infobox in question. It uses ParserFunctions to hide (most) rows with unspecified values; to check if a specified unit portrait exists; etc.. It's not the prettiest infobox, but that can be changed with relative, uh... Well, okay, not relative ease; MediaWiki forced me to use a ton of inline CSS. But it can be done. The infobox also needs more fields, see the "Todo" section on its page.

Terran Command Center (StarCraft) uses the infobox. It also features a hatnote linking to the (currently-nonexistent) SCII article on the unit.

Terran Command Center redirects to Terran Command Center (StarCraft). This can easily be changed.

None.

Apr 29 2010, 2:05 am Forsaken Archer Post #44

OKAY!!!
Fixed an issue with people with underscores in their name not being able to log in. However, mediawiki will still name you as it pleases (without underscores).

None.

Apr 30 2010, 2:25 am Riney Post #45

Thigh high affectionado

Dunno what made me not try without a space before.

Whoops

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

May 1 2010, 1:49 am Jack Post #46

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Leeroy_Jenkins
What happened to the old articles? ...
This, I need some info.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

May 1 2010, 2:19 am DavidJCobb Post #47

Oldwiki articles are still visible at StarCraft > Wiki, but you have to go through the drop-down categories and then click them. Clicking from the Wiki splash takes you to 404s on the new wiki.

None.

May 8 2010, 3:08 am DavidJCobb Post #48

We need a consistent categorization and subcategorization scheme and a manual of style.

Right now, our categories are very vague. This is partly my fault. I know how to set categories up, how to use them, etc., but I'm not good at subcategorizing very diverse sets of articles, like SEN mapping techniques or even SC game mechanics (from minerals to spells to this thing I see mentioned in melee called "tanking").

We also need a Manual of Style, like Wikipedia's (Manual of Style, to determine things like writing style, formatting use, etc.. We shouldn't impose uber-strictness on everything, but in general, there ought to be a similar tone used throughout the wiki. We shouldn't have a warning in italics on one page, just to break out the bright blinking red text for a warning on another.

We can base a MoS off of Wikipedia's, but a categorization system is more work. It'll take a lot of thought, and a lot of collaboration. Here's a starting point: what would be good subcategories for "StarCraft mapping concepts" and "StarCraft gameplay concepts"?

None.

May 8 2010, 3:18 am payne Post #49

:payne:

How do I get to the "Edit" page of the old wiki?
It'd go so much faster if we could simply copy-paste stuff.
Also, why do we have that new wiki? I think the old one was quite satisfying ;o

None.

May 8 2010, 3:52 am Centreri Post #50

Relatively ancient and inactive

Honestly, I think we REALLY need to apply our current skins to the wiki - I might even prefer the old one if this is impossible, mediawiki just looks bad after coming from SEN.

None.

May 8 2010, 4:09 am DavidJCobb Post #51

MediaWiki is fully skinnable. Halopedia is a good example of some of the things you can do with/to it.

New wiki is more maintainable, has more robust formatting/categories/database/etc.. But we need to decide what categories we're gonna put into the more robust category system. Hence my post.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 8 2010, 4:11 am by DavidJCobb. Reason: Used MediaWiki's external code! XD

None.

May 8 2010, 4:18 am Forsaken Archer Post #52

I played around with the skins so far, it is my next agenda.

None.

May 8 2010, 4:21 am Centreri Post #53

Relatively ancient and inactive

Halopedia is ugly as sin. Just saying.

None.

May 8 2010, 4:59 am DavidJCobb Post #54

My point was that you can CSS the crap out of the wiki to your heart's desire.

Now, getting back to the issue of these categories... 'Cause ya know, it's kind of a big deal to decide how the wiki'll be organized in terms of navigation and such, and as I said, I'm not so good in that particular department... (That, and I don't know as much about mapmaking as some others here, so I wouldn't know what should go where at what time for what reason, or nothin'.)

None.

May 8 2010, 1:29 pm Aristocrat Post #55

Quote from name:isolatedpurity
I can't just convert sen wiki articles to media wiki articles. Not entirely sure I would anyways, perhaps the wiki can just be sc2 material. That's really up to the wiki leaders / community.

I can't edit the wiki atm (I get Query Failed errors), but wouldn't conversion be possible by using a bunch of regular expressions to convert links/titles/etc.?

None.

May 8 2010, 6:46 pm DavidJCobb Post #56

That's possible, but it would be... messy. A lot of articles use lists where headers would be more appropriate; article titles that don't fit with WP's MoS; images that would need to be uploaded to the wiki in order to get things working properly... It's more time-consuming yet more clean to manually transfer everything, which is my primary goal right now.

I guess devising a subcategorization system can wait. 'Sides, most people'll browse using the "Go" box.

None.

May 10 2010, 1:44 pm payne Post #57

Gosh, I can't even understand how to add a new article in this wiki.
Please explain :(

None.

May 11 2010, 1:47 am DavidJCobb Post #58

1. Search for non-existent article. (Click "Go".)
2. Click one of two links on the result page.
3. You'll find yourself on the edit form.
4. ?????
5. PROFIT!

None.

May 11 2010, 2:00 am payne Post #59

Quote from DavidJCobb
1. Search for non-existent article. (Click "Go".)
2. Click one of two links on the result page.
3. You'll find yourself on the edit form.
4. ?????
5. PROFIT!
You should post this on the Main page of the wiki, no?

None.

May 11 2010, 2:32 am DavidJCobb Post #60

I turned Help:Contents into an index for help documentation, meaning that the "Help" link in the wiki sidebar is actually useful now. I also added a link to the page on the Main Page.

Help:Contents in turn has a link to Help:FAQ, which lists various common problems, including the creating of pages. (Hopefully, we'll get more useful help articles in the future, such as things on what certain bits of formatting mean and how they should be used.)

...Yeah, I'll admit, it is kind of roundabout.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum