Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Why can't I ever log in?!?
Why can't I ever log in?!?
Apr 3 2010, 12:21 am
By: Jesusfreak  

Apr 3 2010, 12:21 am Jesusfreak Post #1

For several months now, I have not been able to log into b.net. At first, I could log into US West, but then it started not working for that too, as well as the Asian and European servers.

Whenever I go to the sceen to select which server I want, and I select US East, it starts up the log-in process, but then it sends me back to the server-choosing page after about half a second.

What gives? It's been doing this for months now, so it's obviously not going to fix itself...

Oh, and it works perfectly fine at home, except that I can't host (I've never been able to host ever since dad got the new router). And even downstairs in my dorms it works, I just can't play SC from my room. Seriously, wtf?

None.

Apr 3 2010, 1:23 am Positively Post #2

Have you tried uninstalling it? I remember something like this happening to my friend and he reinstalled it and it started working when he repatched battlenet.

None.

Apr 3 2010, 9:04 am NudeRaider Post #3

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Where is "your room"? Maybe your internet connection is behind a firewall blocking your access to bnet.

Apr 4 2010, 4:34 am Jesusfreak Post #4

My room's on the second floor of the building... I know it's not due to any issues with location, because it used to work when I first came.

Some people have suggested that I might have been IP banned, but that's ridiculous. Even if Blizzard actually cared about SC enough to ban people, I wasn't doing any hacking or whatnot, unless entering channels with special symbols (ie, £a£a £and) is a crime now or something.

But ok, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling, I don't think I've tried that one yet, thanks...

None.

Apr 4 2010, 5:50 am Cinolt Post #5

Try loading a bot and see if you can connect.

None.

Apr 5 2010, 12:46 am Jesusfreak Post #6

Er... a bot? You mean one of those automatic messaging users that are used a lot in clan channels? How would I get one of those? (And aren't those illegal?)

None.

Apr 5 2010, 3:37 am Cinolt Post #7

No they aren't illegal.

I recommend l2uthless-Chat because of its ease of use. http://www.bnetweb.org/chat-bots/l2uthless-chat-v2-06-beta/

None.

Apr 5 2010, 8:40 am Jack Post #8

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Ruthless chat isn't the easiest to use, try miragebot or stealthbot.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 7 2010, 10:20 am Heinermann Post #9

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Being sent directly back to the Server selection with no warning means you are IP-Banned from Battle.net.
IP-Bans are handed out automatically (rarely given by representatives) for flooding the server with too many packets, sending a malformed packet, or using illegal strings.

You're not using any tools (Chaoslauncher for example)?
You don't have any viruses?
What Operating System are you using?

Apr 7 2010, 4:47 pm TiKels Post #10

That is sad. Q.Q poor Jesus.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Apr 7 2010, 9:53 pm Jesusfreak Post #11

WTF?!?? IP BANNED?! WHY?!??

No, not using any tools.

I don't have any viruses, as far as I know, although I suspect my old computer (which never had this problem O_O) might have (would have explained why it had no administrator...). It isn't something with this particular laptop, because it works perfectly fine while I'm at home.

I have a Windows Vista.

The only thing I can think of that would qualify for one of the things you said would be the channel names I used. I liked to use special symbols in my channel names. You can't get to them from the channel selection screen, but you could, for example, type /join £æ£æ £ænd to wind up in that channel. Oh, and I also occasionally experimented with stuff that made starcraft crash. That's the only thing I could think of.

Would it work if I just bought a new CD? SC goes for relatively cheap now... for example, there's a full set (SC + Brood War) that even has the box on ebay for $13.76 (including shipping) with 16 hours left on it... if necessary, I could break the law by getting an account on ebay* and buying it.

*You have to be over 18 to use ebay legally, or have parental permission, which is impossible since my parents are... well, parents. Yes, I actually read the dang contract.

None.

Apr 7 2010, 10:21 pm DavidJCobb Post #12

I don't think a new CD key would get you past an IP ban. Depending on your connection, your network setup, etc., you may be able to get/force/trick your router/ISP into giving you a different IP.

None.

Apr 7 2010, 11:50 pm Jesusfreak Post #13

Wouldn't my ISP by the campus?

None.

Apr 8 2010, 3:55 am Heinermann Post #14

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Where are you IPBanned from exactly? If it's a shared network, then it would explain why you can't get on. (Someone else got the entire network IP-Banned, not you)

Apr 8 2010, 4:54 am Jesusfreak Post #15

I just know I'm banned from my room. I haven't tried the other internet sockets on floor, and last I checked, it worked downstairs. I don't know of anyone else who played on b.net, so I doubt that's it...

And really, is Blizzard really that assholish as to ban an entire network because of one person?

None.

Apr 8 2010, 11:14 am NudeRaider Post #16

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

There's no way to distinguish a person from other users in a network. Your identification is your IP which is the same for everyone.

Try if you still can connect from the rooms where it's supposedly working.
That would at least confirm the IP ban.

Apr 8 2010, 3:15 pm Jesusfreak Post #17

Ok, I've just found that I can log onto US West from the wing lounge, although I'm not sure how long that'll work. A few days ago, I was able to get on West, but was booted again after I tried again. I think they might have auto-banned my email too, so I tried giving them my hotmail email instead of my yahoo email this time.

Ok, this just in, I'm not banned from US East downstairs. Yup, looks like an IP ban. Freakin' obselete piece of junk b.net is, auto-permaban was such a ridiculous idea to start with...

Is there a way I can change my IP legally besides going downstairs?

EDIT: Aha, this might help me: http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpages/index.php/proxy-server
Transparent Proxy - This type of proxy server identifies itself as a proxy server and also makes the original IP address available through the http headers. These are generally used for their ability to cache websites and do not effectively provide any anonymity to those who use them. However, the use of a transparent proxy will get you around simple IP bans. They are transparent in the terms that your IP address is exposed, not transparent in the terms that you do not know that you are using it (your system is not specifically configured to use it.)
(emphasis added)
Do you think campus would allow stuff like that? If so, where can I get one of these?

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 8 2010, 3:26 pm by Jesusfreak.

None.

Options
  Back to forum