Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: Indie/under appreciated games
Indie/under appreciated games
Mar 19 2010, 1:31 pm
By: MadZombie
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Jun 8 2010, 4:58 am The Starport Post #61

None.

Jun 14 2010, 11:06 am NudeRaider Post #62

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Seeing as some guys are actually into turn-based strategy games I have a very interesting one for you:
Titans of Steel: Warring Suns

Fully customizable mechs

Different Terrain sets with features like water (cools mech), ice (mech may slip), lava (generates heat), height (alters accuracy and move speed), destructible trees (blocking vision), and more

Pilots leveling through battle experience which define your mech's capabilities add RPG elements

ECM / ECCM warfare

The game is multiplayer capable but there's also a campaign and even community made campaigns and multiplayer maps.
The gameplay is just amazing. Every little detail is so thought through, there's almost nothing you'd recognize as "awww that doesn't make sense" and the terrain and squad creation add to create a very elaborate strategy game.
The only things that can get annoying is
- that on large maps it can take pretty long until you actually spot your first enemy but the auto-move feature helps rectify that
- and that the gameplay is really slow paced because it's TBS and you have so many things to consider. Kinda like chess.

Summary: If you like futuristic in-depth TBS games or want to try a new mech game, then this is for you.

Detailed review

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 14 2010, 11:28 am by NudeRaider.

Jul 2 2010, 3:37 pm MadZombie Post #63

Try some of this:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html

Elona is an single player RPG. It's pretty generic but I thought it was cool enough to post here though. You got out and quest. Kill dungeons. By deeds to buildings for yourself like a new home, stores, museums, farms, and ranches (stores make money for you, Farms allow you to grow your own crop for farming skills and food, Ranches let you hold creatures to breed etcetc).

You can play as a bunch of different races. From mutants to trolls n stuff. It's pretty interesting and helps pass the time.

Note: You can acquire pets and you get a free one when you go into the first town. You can get a wolf, dog, cat, or a little girl :3

It has a bunch of other elements that I haven't even found out for myself as I just started trying it out so you are going to have to figure this game out on your own as I can't really find a good review for it anywhere. K.

screen shots:
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Screenshots

None.

Jul 5 2010, 1:36 pm The Starport Post #64

None.

Jul 12 2010, 1:19 am Generalpie Post #65

Staredit Puckwork

Birds n Beans :awesome:
Paper Airplane Chase 1p Survival Mode

None.

Aug 16 2010, 3:02 am MadZombie Post #66

http://www.wolfire.com/black-shades

This fucking game. I wish their was some sort of tourny for this. I like how loose and difficult the aiming is. It's so simple but I think current gen FPS games should have that kind of aiming. that shit takes real skill.

finished it with 1200~ points. I lost a ton of times so thats why I have a low score

uh the tl;dr on the game is that your a bodyguard guarding a VIP. People will come at the VIP with knives snipers and handguns. You have to shoot them down. Also after a couple of levels theirs a "zombie level" where all civilians are melee enemies.

Didn't really come with a list of controls or anything so to make things easier here they are.

Run with shift
press R to reload
press E to go into a short bullet time
Press ctrl to duck (makes aiming easier but you can't move and you can't turn in full 360 degress)
Use ctrl/duck to aim with the sniper
While holding shift(running) you can press space to throw your self which knocks down everyone that you land on. Good for temporarily stunning bad guys or putting the VIP on the floor to make him dodge bullets.

Of course left click to shoot.

It's a fun minigame..

edit:
GRAVITY BONE
This game is gold for the 15 minutes of time you need to beat it. The ending part is probably what makes this game so great. I only wish it were a full version of some long game with a story.

http://db.tigsource.com/games/gravity-bone

Gravity bone is a game where, I think, you're a spy of some sort doing small missions for whatever reason. It's never really explained. Actually not much is explained you are just thrown in are asked to go here and there and do this and that. I guess thats all just a filler for later. Best endings evar.

Screen shots are in the link

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 20 2010, 1:05 pm by MadZombie.

None.

Aug 27 2010, 11:02 pm UnholyUrine Post #67

Knytt and Knytt stories are real nice and easy.

It's all about ambience for those two games. Great stuff to relax with

None.

Aug 31 2010, 2:48 am tearshed Post #68

Some of my personal favourites

Audiosurf

Audiosurf is a music-adapting puzzle racer where you use your own music to create your own experience. The shape, the speed, and the mood of each ride is determined by the song you choose.
You earn points for clustering together blocks of the same color on the highway, and compete with others on the internet for the high score on your favorite songs.

ByteAlity Tower Defence

ByteAlity Tower Defense is a tower defense game with more than twenty types of towers to unlock and over a hundred maps to play. Highly addictive.

Cave Story

Widely considered to be one of the best freeware games and the king of indie game development. Good story, great Metroidvania gameplay and cute pixel graphics and 8 bit music.

Dwarf Fortress

You start with a few dwarves and try to build a fortress while avoiding savage animals, fighting goblin assaults, trading with elfs, etc...
The game is really a simulation, with lots and lots of parameters : For example, every single dwarf and other living things have a separate health counter for every body part.
Original game has ASCII graphics, but mods can replace them with sprites

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

In 1986, the world's worst nuclear disaster occurred at the Chernobyl power station. Soviet authorities established a 30km 'Exclusion Zone' around this nuclear wasteland, but in 2006 a second explosion rocked the stricken reactor, obliterating all living things and causing the Zone's boundaries to ripple outwards. From this epicenter came waves of mutated creatures, deadly radiation, and a strange, anomalous energy. The Zone was cordoned off by the military, who would shoot on sight anyone foolish enough to brave the horrors within.

It is now 2012 - man has ventured further and further into the heart of the Zone driven by reports of strange 'artifacts' imbued with anomalous energy. Mercenaries and bounty hunters compete to recover these artifacts, which command extortionate prices on the black market. Others seek to find the truth behind the Zone, while some merely revel in the desolate lawlessness of the place. Whatever their motivation, over time these individuals - Scavengers, Trespassers, Adventurers, Loners, Killer, Explorers and Robbers - have become known as S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s.

Awakening in the Zone, you are one such S.T.A.L.K.E.R., fighting for survival in this man-made Hell, while trying to discover the truth behind Chernobyl's sinister past and ominous future.

Synaesthete
Synaesthete is a revolutionary music-arcade shooter. Music, actions and visuals are all linked and necessary for successful game play.

TrackMania United

Go nuts
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Freeware_Games
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/PC

None.

Aug 31 2010, 2:57 am MadZombie Post #69

Wat

Stalker is indie/under appreciated?

None.

Aug 31 2010, 3:05 am tearshed Post #70

I'd say it's under appreciated.

None.