Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: installation tileset help
installation tileset help
Oct 10 2007, 6:51 pm
By: spartanbaaj  

Oct 10 2007, 6:51 pm spartanbaaj Post #1

Hey guys, newbie mapmaker here just need a wee bit o' help.

In the single player campaign the doors in the installation tileset open automatically, or are locked. im trying to make a map with doors. I've set locations around all the doors and so far i ahve Bring any unit to location to toggle doodad state for the door. problem is, they don't close when the unit leaves the location! does anyone know how to make this work? I figure switches are the way to go for locking and unlocking. lastly, is it possible to use a trigger to give a player an upgrade or ability? i want to start the level without certain abilities and give them to the player as they go along.

thanks alot!

edit: another question. I have some zerg units on the mao and in their properties i set them to burrowed, but they start off unburrowed. can someone help me out here?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 10 2007, 7:53 pm by spartanbaaj.

None.

Oct 10 2007, 7:50 pm Money Post #2

You also need a trigger for when the unit leaves.
Trigger("Player 1"){
Conditions:
Bring("Player 1", "Any unit", "Your location - 1", At most, 0);

Actions:
Set Doodad State("All players", "Left / Right Door", "Your location - 2", disabled);
Preserve Trigger();
}
//-----------------------------------------------------------------//
Toggling is a problem if you have a unit in the location for too long. The door will open and close.

To give abilities create a unit for another player that has that ability and give it to the human player. For upgrades just give the required minerals and gas.

None.

Oct 10 2007, 8:12 pm NudeRaider Post #3

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from spartanbaaj
Hey guys, newbie mapmaker here just need a wee bit o' help.

In the single player campaign the doors in the installation tileset open automatically, or are locked. im trying to make a map with doors. I've set locations around all the doors and so far i ahve Bring any unit to location to toggle doodad state for the door. problem is, they don't close when the unit leaves the location! does anyone know how to make this work? I figure switches are the way to go for locking and unlocking. lastly, is it possible to use a trigger to give a player an upgrade or ability? i want to start the level without certain abilities and give them to the player as they go along.

thanks alot!

edit: another question. I have some zerg units on the mao and in their properties i set them to burrowed, but they start off unburrowed. can someone help me out here?
Doors:
- No switches
- Use 2 triggers:
Current Player brings at least 1 men to door set doodad state disabled
All Players brings at most 0 men to door set doodad state enabled

Upgrades:
Have all Upgrade buildings preplaced for P12 and give them to the players when needed

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 12 2007, 9:25 am by NudeRaider.

Oct 10 2007, 9:24 pm spartanbaaj Post #4

Thanks for the door tips, but the upgrades is a problem. you can't put buildings in the installation tileset. theres no way to trigger the research? also, is there any way at ALL to allow a ghost to call a nuke without a command centre?

lastly, im not gonn use this right now but for future reference, is there any way to change the .wav files a unit uses for just a single map? i want to change what the Terran Ghost says, but i don't want to mess up my game.

None.

Oct 10 2007, 9:31 pm Joshgt2 Post #5

1. You are going to need something more than StarEdit to put buildings down on that type of map. I would suggest X-tra Editor or SCMDraft, search them in google and you will find them
2. Triggering reasearch? I don't think there, simply modify all of the research and upgrades in the map editor and have them builds set to a different player, once again your going to need X-tra editor or SCMDraft to do so. Then when you want to give the upgrades to someone, simply give them the building and there you go!
3. Calling a nuke without a command center... I think you need both the command center and the loaded nuke silos by doing the 'fill Nuke Silos with Nuke' script to do so, then simply run the other script to call the nuke by the ghost
4. Changing the .wav files of a unit in simply a map editor? NO.... If that was possible then I would make the Infested Terrans be running in saying "LLLLLLEEEEERRRROOOOOYYYYYY JEEEENENNNNNKKKKIIIINNSSNSSSS!!!!"111 That would be the shit, but as far I know you will need to create your own mod of starcraft to do so

None.

Oct 10 2007, 10:36 pm NudeRaider Post #6

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Joshgt
1. You are going to need something more than StarEdit to put buildings down on that type of map. I would suggest X-tra Editor or SCMDraft, search them in google and you will find them
2. Triggering reasearch? I don't think there, simply modify all of the research and upgrades in the map editor and have them builds set to a different player, once again your going to need X-tra editor or SCMDraft to do so. Then when you want to give the upgrades to someone, simply give them the building and there you go!
3. Calling a nuke without a command center... I think you need both the command center and the loaded nuke silos by doing the 'fill Nuke Silos with Nuke' script to do so, then simply run the other script to call the nuke by the ghost
4. Changing the .wav files of a unit in simply a map editor? NO.... If that was possible then I would make the Infested Terrans be running in saying "LLLLLLEEEEERRRROOOOOYYYYYY JEEEENENNNNNKKKKIIIINNSSNSSSS!!!!"111 That would be the shit, but as far I know you will need to create your own mod of starcraft to do so
gj everything perfectly answered.

But I have an addition:
There are some tiles in installation tileset that ARE buildable. But again I think you will need scmdraft or starforge for that. I recommend scmdraft 2 because starforge is quite buggy.

Oct 12 2007, 2:15 am fritfrat Post #7

You can build in installation using the tiles 16.0 - 48.0 in scmdraft's "tileset index" under terrain, or SF's equivilant. Note that buildings can be pre-placed anywhere using scmdraft, SF, or xtra.
You can fire off nukes without a command center as long as you just place the addon for a specific player in scmdraft or SF (all addons in xtra and staredit are always played as owned by p12).
You can give researches through triggers by giving a unit from a player that has that research to someone who doesn't through the "Give Unit" action; for example, if p8 has stim packs and p1 doesn't, give a p8 marine to p1 and p1 now has stim packs. This only applies to researches and not upgrades.
And finally, Nude got the order backwards for doors; Disabled doodad state on a door means you can walk through it and Enabled means it's blocking you.

Oh, and as far as choosing a better editor to use, use SCMDraft.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 8:28 am Kenoli Post #8

Here's a direct link to Scmdraft2.
A little different from Staredit. Definitely worth getting used to.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 9:24 am NudeRaider Post #9

Quote from fritfrat(U)
And finally, Nude got the order backwards for doors; Disabled doodad state on a door means you can walk through it and Enabled means it's blocking you.
Oh yeah lol. I knew that. Don't know why I put it wrong. *confused*
However... its corrected ;)

Options
  Back to forum