Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Distortion of popularity
Distortion of popularity
Apr 21 2009, 12:11 pm
By: Queen-Gambit  

Apr 21 2009, 12:11 pm Queen-Gambit Post #1

During the console wars I blogged about how the Wii will be the most popular. In my blogs, i told ppl that Wii would out sell ne console because it targets casual gamers. People are distorted by what was going to be the most popular. ONLY gamers would argue about either ps3 or 360 online. Seeing only those kinds of ppl talking about it, nobody realized that the ones NOT discussing it online aka casual gamers/kids outnumbers the 360/ps3 fans. I got a lot of negative feedbacks. One of the famous one I thought was funny was , "you suck, your a b#$%^, Wii is gay, 360 ftw." Kind of embarrasing to read lol. It was inevitable, Wii out selling both ps3 and 360. That brought my self-esteem way up. Ppl still shock =/

Tieing this to General starcraft: This can be argued for starcraft2. Will New players out weigh the old ones? It may seem popular but i've seen some gaming polls saying they wouldn't get sc2. The ppl that would say yes are undoubtably sc fans. Will sc2 hype attract new players? Your thoughts

None.

Apr 21 2009, 12:34 pm TriggR_HappE Post #2

Of course there's going to be new players, but I would say they majority of its players are going to be those who move up from SC1. I figure most of the first time players are going to be Blizzard fans that switch from one of the other games like diablo and WC.

None.

Apr 21 2009, 4:44 pm Decency Post #3

The Wii abandoned competitive gaming and focused on attracting non-gamers. Their goal worked to an extent, but the only game I'm aware of that has even a tiny competitive following on the Wii is SSBB.

Hopefully SC2 won't go that route, it would be a damned shame to see them sell out competitive gaming. From everything I've read, though, it doesn't seem like that will be the case, and that the opposite will be true. They aren't going as far as removing MBS, but they are forcing players to have a healthy APM.

None.

Apr 21 2009, 7:24 pm -BW-Map_God Post #4

I have a lot of friends who are planning to get Starcraft II even though they no longer play starcraft or never played Starcraft. I think it is well hyped as an awesome rts scenario and that there will be plently of new people as well as old. Another good question might be will it be good enough that most of us stop playing the original at all? I mean with the UMS options and 10 years of other maps we have here there are a lot of options for Starcraft-Brood War games to play.

None.

Options
  Back to forum