Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: HQ Assault
HQ Assault
Oct 2 2007, 1:56 am
By: Kenoli  

Oct 2 2007, 1:56 am Kenoli Post #1

HQ Assault
I threw this map together a couple days ago. Though it is playable, it is definitely not done.
What is it? It's a defense map. The players work together to defend the HQ building, except for one player, who is in charge of destroying it.

The four defending players have a sizable amount of weapons available to them.
As a defender, you can purchase a number of units - Marines, Ghosts, Vulture, Goliaths, Siege Tanks, Infested Kerrigan(Ensnare/Storm), and a Probe for building Photon Cannons. Weapon upgrades are also available for these units.

You are also able to select a single special unit. Eight are available: Lurker, Hero Ghost, Hero Goliath, Sunken/Spore near HQ, Science Vessel(Detect/EMP/Irradiate), Mines near the HQ, Extra Minerals, and Infested Terrans on the paths leading to the HQ.

As the attacking player, you have only a certain about of time to destroy the HQ building; ten minutes on the countdown timer.
You can create units in a variety of ways. One way is to manually spawn units at any of the five spawn points. Three different types of units can be created at the spawn points: Zealots, Hydralisks, and Tanks.

Spawning units this way will quickly drain your resources, though. A more cost effective way to attack is by setting up unit generators. Any of the three types of units can be generated automatically at each of the spawn points. Unit generators also put pressure on the defenders and allow you to spot weaknesses in their defenses.
Another perk of using the generators is that the spawn rate can be increased.

You have a few other unit spawns available as well:
- The Zerglings are hallucinated units that can absorb a lot of damage. Their downside is that they cannot harm the HQ building directly.
- The Dark Templars may be able to simply sneak past the defenders. It's up to them to have detectors.
- The Scouts are similar to the Dark Templars. It's up to the defenders to have anti-air.

Finally, a special ability of the attacking commander is to temporarily disable the Photon Cannons that are protecting the HQ building. Each of the defenders has a Photon Cannon defending the HQ building. With these Cannons offline, even a small leak can damage the HQ building significantly.

Again, this map is not done. It needs testing and balancing, and I can only do so much of that myself.
So, play it. Find out what's wrong and tell me so that I may fix it.
Any other feedback is also welcome.

------------------------------

DOWNLOAD TEST VERSION 3

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on Oct 7 2007, 12:37 am by Kenoli.

None.

Oct 2 2007, 7:53 am Screwed Post #2

Like the people said, make the ups better and um I think zealots slightly stronger. Yeah that's it I think.

None.

Oct 4 2007, 2:46 am Kenoli Post #3

Test version 2 features redesigned terrain and some stat changes.

None.

Oct 7 2007, 12:36 am Kenoli Post #4

Version three has more changes, including a name change. The map is now HQ Defense.

None.

Options
  Back to forum