Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Divine Cleansing
Divine Cleansing
Mar 3 2009, 7:21 am
By: lSHaDoW-FoXl
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Mar 13 2009, 4:58 pm Kellimus Post #61

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Quote from lSHaDoW-FoXl
So, does anyone think the world would be better off without some people? Without all the killers in the world? Without corrupt politicians? Or, do you assume this world is fine, and that no one should die, no matter the circumstances.

And in this topic, it's also worth questioning why people would want a world without a group of people.
(Note the lack of religious content in the topic post)

From the beginning of the discussion, I just wanted to point out that "divine cleansing" was a terrible name for this topic. It imposes a religious context when this topic is clearly trying to be about more than just that. Kellimus is right that Vrael's posts are "off-topic" if we go by the topic name alone. However, I think that it would be better for all of us to look past the topic title and see this topic as a discussion of eugenics/genocide in general rather that a "divine cleansing" that forces a religious context which is obviously hindering discussion and evolution of the topic.

Good call.

Now when dealing with Eugenics... How is it 'morally' right?

I would say that instead of doing it the Eugenic/Genocide way, why not provide adequate educational sources so those who truly want to learn and help themselves and society, can. While those who just want to sit back and be 'retards', can as well.. Of course, you then have to deal with Welfare and such of those 'retards' but that's when you establish a system to where if they didn't even try to go get an education, they don't get Welfare, and such things as those.

You don't have to mindlessly kill individuals to help the betterment of society (who wants society to get better anyways??).

None.

Mar 14 2009, 7:42 am JaBoK Post #62

Getting back on tipic... Well, I personally divide it in to categories, generally starting with the easier calls (for me) and ending with the tougher ones. From a completely agnostic perspective, here's what I would say concerning Eugenics itself, without regarding the divine implications.

In the case of people who are useless to themselves and to others, ie vegetables, or people born with such terrible conditions that they would be unable to develop higher brain function before dying a painful death at a young age, I tend to find it morally sound to remove them immediately, as to end their suffering, end the suffering it brings to others, and lighten the load on society. If the only positive points are extremely unlikely "what if"s or the fact that the half-vegetable person is able to drool and look around, keeping them alive can only be detrimental.

The next sort of category, is people who are genetically useless to society. They may have some higher order function, such as language, but by birth, they are unable to function as anything but dependants. The problem with this point, is that it's difficult to decide what we would have wanted done in their position. Not many would choose a life of pain and inability, but it's hard to say that incapability is enough to make life useless. From the perspective of economics and society, yes, but the problem is that we keep eight year olds alive, and when we observe that a particular individual might never pass that point due to genetic flaws, it is difficult to make the call. I am personally of the opinion that in this case, it would be legitimate to end the life at birth, in order to supply the parents with another chance at a normal parenthood, and to spare the person a life so inferior to the ones others are capable of having. If there are to be a limited number of people in the world, "re-rolling" the dice for those who are disadvantaged at the start seems to be a rational choice.

Now, since this reeks of "playing god" as it is, I would state that if there is a benevolent god, then (at the risk of intentional fallacy on god, if that even works) I would care to guess that it would be rational, and thus understand that if whatever meaning there is to human life would be acheived, we must strive to make sure that the limited space in the world is used for those who are able to fulfill whatever this meaning may be. From a Nietzchean standpoint, we of course see that those incapable of human expression do not have purpose, and from a materialist perspective it's largely similar to any argument showing that the greatest amount of happieness for the population can only be found when the population is made entirely of contributing members. That being said, concerning the idea of supposed inability to comprehend the divine, or to judge other people, I simply say that by letting someone live, we make as much judgment as we would by killing them. I know that the obvious counter argument is that we disrupt natural order by eugenics, but considering that we may choose when or with whom we reproduce, making an unlucky choice need not cost humanity as a whole. As a point, arguments such as "you could have killed the next ----" are inherently flawed because of the fact that the replacement to such an individual (which would inevitably be desired) would have the same probability of excelling.

As a note, once we hit the "wellfare class" I believe that before Euthanizing them all, it would be a better idea to impose harsher laws and get rid of the free ride for those who don't deserve it, instead of going so far as to kill people.

None.

Jul 10 2009, 1:28 am Zxblqcktptyjsplkn Post #63

JaBoK, the problem with killing people with a serious disability is you end up killing brilliant people like Stephen Hawking. He was paralyzed from birth, but he grew up to be a brilliant scientist and an asset to society. I know you say not to use this argument, but I can't help it. Another problem is that you can't "replace" a person. Each person is his own individual. One major problem is that I can't judge when a life isn't worth living. I believe everyone would want to live, however. Any extremely stupid person would not have the brains to be unhappy, and someone with a physical disability would want to live. If they wanted to die, they would all have killed themselves. In addition to this, I believe any normal parent would want their child to live. There are many articles I have read on abortion. No mother wants to have an abortion, but they sometimes do. They almost always feel absolutely horrible afterwards. Also, who are we to judge who is an asset to society?

Shadow-Fox, you said you find anyone that wears an animal is despicable. What about meat? What do you feel about people eating animals? I feel that it is fine to wear something like leather because people eat the meat, and it would be useless to waste the leather. You should start a topic on this.

None.

Jul 10 2009, 4:37 am Vi3t-X Post #64

Good job necroing the topic. :P

He was paralyzed from birth, but he grew up to be a brilliant scientist and an asset to society.
Not uncommon. Your brain has less things to worry about, and you probably have less social aspects to worry about, so you have more time to ponder thoughts.

Another problem is that you can't "replace" a person.
Eugenics isn't far off. :omfg:

Each person is his own individual. One major problem is that I can't judge when a life isn't worth living.
Ending one's life proves a solution to one's problems, but causes burdens on those that surround them. Unless of course, you're screwed and have no one and nothing. :P

Any extremely stupid person would not have the brains to be unhappy, and someone with a physical disability would want to live.
I assume you mean that physical disability makes people sadface.

I believe any normal parent would want their child to live.
Not true. You're too self absorbed into Western Culture that you neglect what happens elsewhere.

No mother wants to have an abortion, but they sometimes do.
You're putting thoughts into a person's mind, instead of letting them conjure the thought themselves.

Also, who are we to judge who is an asset to society?
The amount of value they bring to society? If they have no positive influence in any way, they're not an asset and expendable. Remember when we used to be like that? Remember when we actually got stuff done?

Shadow-Fox, you said you find anyone that wears an animal is despicable.
People don't wear animals. We kill, skin, process, refine and then wear their furs/skins/hides.

What about meat? What do you feel about people eating animals? I feel that it is fine to wear something like leather because people eat the meat, and it would be useless to waste the leather.
Chickens are consumed. We don't use the feathers.
Pigs are consumed. We don't use the skin (not most cultures anyways).

And aside from that, Leather is processed. Otherwise it'd just be hide.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum