Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: Cartoon mod
Cartoon mod
Feb 20 2009, 8:31 pm
By: alexpnd  

Feb 20 2009, 8:31 pm alexpnd Post #1

This is something I came up with yesterday. So far it's hilarious but it is going to be quite a bit of work. The main idea is just to mod the graphics and audio so that it is b.net friendly. All your ideas are welcome. So far I have a rough GRP of Timmy and his audio as an SCV. Its damn funny when you see a gang of timmys killing another one. If you guys like it I'll be glad to work thoroughly on it.

The GRP's are going to be 3d for now its just a rough. I've found a few free online models of cartman, stan, kenny, but no timmy so I might give it a go myself. As far as animation I'm stumped but maybe I can pick it up, I've done the easy animation stuff in Poser and what not.

I'm considering changing the building graphics as well, If I make them somewhat parallel to their originals it wouldn't hinder regular game play too much. If you guys have ideas as to what should be what throw em at me. As far as units, I think stan will be infantry, cartman factory units, and kyle air units with the exception of Science vessel because I want kenny to be in it. Maybe I will just change the artwork from 3d SC style to a 2d flash style, like a barracks will look like a barracks but South Park style. lol. k thats it for me, i'll attach what I have and start working with some models.

Eventually and if I have time I'd like to do zerg as simpsons and protoss as family guy or looney tunes (elmer fud = ghost).

ps. The death sound isn't playing so if you can help with that let me know. It has every reason to be working.

Attachments:
spmod.jpg
Hits: 46 Size: 55.75kb

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Feb 21 2009, 9:43 pm by alexpnd.

None.

Feb 21 2009, 12:00 am Sand Wraith Post #2

she/her

Good luck with this project I suppose. Personally, I've nothing (and frankly want nothing) to do with South Park, so there is little else I can say.

Nice graphics. I guess.

Feb 21 2009, 2:44 am alexpnd Post #3

me neither really the biggest pull is the funny quotes. the graphics are just rough i pulled them from an official flash game, i intend for 3d rendered images. Something to pass the time and learn modeling/animation perhaps :) thanks for your moderate enthusiasm. its something!

None.

Feb 21 2009, 4:26 am Keirebu Post #4

Not a mod I would be interested in playing, But it should give you some decent practice, I wouldn't use other people's models you found on the internet.
(What fun is that? Let alone giving you no practice on making your own) And Practice is the most important, Without it, How you going to make other mods, that people don't have models and such for? :O

I will give you some credit though, Its an idea I haven't seen in a mod before lol.

None.

Feb 21 2009, 12:38 pm alexpnd Post #5

Frankly the only reason I would use someone else's model (though south park characters are some of the hardest to model /sarcasm) is to speed things up cause i can honestly feel sc2 around the corner, but it took me like 2 minutes to do stan so your right in that i dont need somebody elses models. its simple tbh. animation on the other hand...

None.

Feb 23 2009, 5:33 am Sand Wraith Post #6

she/her

Oh, hey, idea: Like BSTRhino's Ultimate[?] Doom mod, you could iscript units to randomly play sound quotes while they attack or do other animations. And, as a side salad, change unit sounds to South Park quotes.

You probably thought up of the latter already.

Mar 16 2009, 1:06 am alexpnd Post #7

Well i've been getting used to blender and so far have a few units down, graphically and audio as well. IF anybody wishes to help (aka is a south park fan and can quickly gather audio) for units that would be great, if not it will just be a bit longer to release thats all because the sounds ive ripped from soundboards and such are unusable. I have these units and i'll be posting shots soon. I have a question, but i think i know the answer. As far as editing overlay coords, (and what the heck, frame count per animation) , will that affect battle.net compatibility?

modeled:

BC = Chef in a flying Chocolate Ball
Wraith = towlie /w bong

SCV = Timmy
Marine = Stan
Firebat = Kyle
Medic = Wendy
Ghost = Jimbo

Tank = Cartman in a tank

to do:

Vulture = Randy in a bike
Sci vess = Kenny

Goliath = Butters
Dropship = ?
Valkryie = Mr. Hanky

ps. please let me know how to embed images without the widths going gaga?

Attachments:
cartman.JPG
Hits: 9 Size: 2.17kb
timmy.jpg
Hits: 5 Size: 16.48kb
wendy.jpg
Hits: 6 Size: 1.1kb
jimbo.jpg
Hits: 4 Size: 1.16kb
stan.JPG
Hits: 3 Size: 0.92kb
kyle.JPG
Hits: 5 Size: 1.19kb

None.

Mar 16 2009, 2:25 am Sand Wraith Post #8

she/her

Hey, nice work. Your models look simplistic but in that fashion, tight and very well done.

As for Battle.Net compatibility, it depends. As long as you only edit the GRP's themselves, I believe that you will have no problem. Once you touch the iscript file (if you need to), then I believe it will no longer be compatible.

Best to test it out with a friend. Or even just host a random B.Net game and see if everyone disconnects.

Options
  Back to forum