Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Im building a comp, need opinions.
Im building a comp, need opinions.
Sep 22 2007, 11:08 am
By: Excalibur
Pages: < 1 2 3

Sep 25 2007, 10:46 pm shooter1231 Post #41

Quote from ~:Deathawk:~
Uhh, why isn't 2gb of RAM good to have with a 64bit OS..?

Uhh, there isn't really any risks when overclocking a card to the clocks these "superoverclocked" versions run at, except it's not guaranteed. But nearly every card that is given reference clocks can run 20mhz higher on it's core easilly. Same thing with memory too. Save your money and just get a reference clocked version. Also, you don't get much performance gain from the overclocks on these "superoverlocked" cards anyway.

Uhh, if theres any place you shouldn't skimp out on, it's a powersupply. You get what you pay for, and if you cheap out on a power supply, your rig wont run, or worse, your powersupply will die and possibly take out other pieces with it.

There is more to a power supply than wattage. You need to take into consideration amperage/rail distribution, efficiency, silence, power factor correction, ease of wire management/modularity, amount of connectors, actual power the PSU has, stabillity/rail fluctuation/ripple, how cool it runs, the amount of heat it can withstand, etc.. And looks, for some.

Also, remember that a PSU is a piece of equiptment you can use in future builds, and it's always good to have some headroom, if you do plan on upgrading.

The case..? Well first off, some people like their case to look nice, personally I do too. I want a case that almost looks like furntiture, not like a big toy type of thing. Cases have a lot of features, like size, weight, materials used, noise prevention, cooling, etc. Buying a good case is always a good investment, as it too, will probably last for many builds. You don't have to pay tons for a good case, as I showed with the RC-690, but it's definately somewhere that deserves a decent amount of money.

I wouldn't recommend wasting your time with an X-FI if your speakers still suck, just a heads up.

I agree with most of your points. Maybe it was just my friend's computer that had problems with 2gb RAM/64 bit OS.
My friend's video card melted because he overclocked it. Not all flashy cases are expensive.

None.

Sep 26 2007, 7:17 pm Excalibur Post #42

The sword and the faith

GSkill makes great RAM, they're competitvely priced, and most of their models overclock pretty well... but theres really no performance difference between all the models, only in synthetic benchmarks like SuperPI.. So yeah, Excalibur is right, why pay more than he has to..?
The Corsair 520HX should be able to handle any single video card configuration.
Quote from MasterJohnny
Because Im thinking of 64 bit vista and future SLI video card addon
The more likely situation is me getting a high end 9xxx series whenever they decide to hit the market. Ill be low on cash for awhile after this.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Oct 18 2007, 2:30 am SCORPIONOX Post #43

I think you should buy a case with liquid cooling, they cool your computer better than a fan. If you go to one of those warehouse stores, you can find one for around 100$ if your lucky. I don't think you should get Vista, because Microsoft is still debugging it(you don't want to spend that much money to find out OS alone takes 1GB RAM to run). I doubt the memory usage will go down, but I recommend you wait a year or two before getting Vista, XP is more reliable at the moment anyways(until they're done debugging Vista).

None.

Oct 18 2007, 2:57 am ~:Deathawk:~ Post #44

Ermm, 99% of liquid cooling systems that come with cases suck, and aren't worth the money, and if you're paying 100 dollars for a case and LCS then there is a problem.. decent CPU block only loops are at least 200~ unless you want a piece of junk like the bigwater or something..

This thread is old though.

None.

Nov 3 2007, 9:41 am Excalibur Post #45

The sword and the faith

Necro'd for new purpose:
Going to SLI 2x 8800 GTs. These: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130302
Need new Mobo and power supply for them. Reccomendations please.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Nov 3 2007, 10:12 am MasterJohnny Post #46

Quote from Excalibur
GSkill makes great RAM, they're competitvely priced, and most of their models overclock pretty well... but theres really no performance difference between all the models, only in synthetic benchmarks like SuperPI.. So yeah, Excalibur is right, why pay more than he has to..?
Quote from MasterJohnny
The more likely situation is me getting a high end 9xxx series whenever they decide to hit the market. Ill be low on cash for awhile after this.

Yeah...so...what changed your mind?

I am a Mathematician

Nov 3 2007, 12:57 pm Excalibur Post #47

The sword and the faith

Quote from MasterJohnny
Quote from Excalibur
Quote from MasterJohnny

Yeah...so...what changed your mind?

I wanted an 8800GTX but i didnt have the money. These SSC edition cards from EVGA are 8800GTs that offer me GTX performance. Simply put, for less money im getting a huge bang for my buck, and these are brand new, fresh out. Newegg has them out of stock right now actually. Theyre a hot item.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Nov 3 2007, 4:34 pm ~:Deathawk:~ Post #48

Good idea, btw. The 8800GTs are awesome, however, they sold out all over the place very quickly. Powersupply, you'd probably still be fine with 520HX but there is no value for peace of mind.. so... But to be honest, I'm not 100% certain on what the 8800gt's power consumption is, just the fact that it's less than its siblings.

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A6200027
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130081

None.

Nov 3 2007, 8:17 pm Excalibur Post #49

The sword and the faith

Must be on newegg for PS.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Nov 3 2007, 10:33 pm ~:Deathawk:~ Post #50

Fair enough, you can find it on Newegg for 20 dollars more.

Also, there is an Etasis 750w power supply on Newegg, I'm too lazy to get the link now, but it's server quality(as in very high) and offers a LOT of power for the price. It's not 100% sleeved or modular, but it's definitely enough power, and it's VERY high quality. However, I'm not sure if the Etasis 750w will have any problems considering its size. But yeah, you're not going to find as much power from a PSU in that range anywhere else.

Don't get me wrong, the Corsair 620HX is also high quality, just doesnt offer as much power(although, either will power your build fine.), but it has a lot of other nice features. It is a bit more expensive than the Etasis 750w, though.

None.

Nov 3 2007, 11:35 pm Excalibur Post #51

The sword and the faith

Thanks Hawk, looks like everythings set.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum