Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Let's talk about the AoS fad
Let's talk about the AoS fad
Dec 8 2008, 6:55 am
By: UnholyUrine
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Nov 21 2009, 10:32 am MEMEME670 Post #41

Quote from name:zany_001
Quote from Falkoner
Well, since it's been revived...

The problem with Temple Siege is not the small amount of spells, although admittedly, the ones you DO have are not very creative, it is the ridiculously slow gameplay, the map is too large, mana recovers too slow, you have too much health, and there is not enough spawn(to cover the ridiculous map size). TS is for a slower crowd, if you know what I mean :rolleyes:
How often do you play TS? Bnet pubbies aren't known for playing games involving large amounts of waiting, but heaps play TS. I play TS in part because there's always something going on, it's almost full on action most games.

pubs play TS due to they feel like they're doing something when theyre spawnkilling.

but, any good AoS (and in this, TS counts) is HORRIBLE for the community of sc public.

Due to the main focus being on TEAMWORK.

Not that people cant work together, but often it comes down to 1. if a team has friends in it, it can normally win.

2. bad chemistry on one side or amazing on the other will greatly decrease/increase ability to play.

3.team setups. A team setup like LM medic fbat will be hampered much more then a team thats say fbat mech mutant.

4. Communication. This is much more developed in DotA, even though i barely know it, and the main communication in TS really tells us nothing but expects us to know where people are coming and when.

None.

Nov 21 2009, 6:18 pm Jack Post #42

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Uhm, teamwork is a GOOD thing... 1v1 games get old, but working with others is more fun.
I agree with 1-3 but they don't make the game un-fun, just less linear.

Not sure what you mean by 4.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Nov 21 2009, 6:34 pm Norm Post #43

An emphasis on teamwork greatly enhances the depth of an AoS map. There is the single-player approach to it - when you're going to learn how to use each of your 8 or more spells against each possible opponent, and once you have that down, you are ready to learn how to apply each of your 8 or more spells in a Team Setting.

Teams that coordinate their shit will always win against a mis-matched team. Especially if it involves picking good character combination such as a Char with MP restoring passives can go with a char that relies on MP usage. Char that can supply resources goes will with characters that are resource dependent - stuff like that.

None.

Nov 25 2009, 12:47 am UnholyUrine Post #44

Unecessary Necro is Unecessary <.<

But since u guys have input...

The problem with Temple Siege is not the small amount of spells, although admittedly, the ones you DO have are not very creative, it is the ridiculously slow gameplay, the map is too large, mana recovers too slow, you have too much health, and there is not enough spawn(to cover the ridiculous map size). TS is for a slower crowd, if you know what I mean

Really?? I felt the same for Korean maps... Well not that the action is too slow, mana too slow, or map too big... but the gameplay is pretty slow... but Slow as in Repetitive.

Anyway, I can go into the theory I had behind TS.. but it all boils down to the fact that I made TS to best serve the Western B.net Pubbies... I went simple (including certain spells) to maintain a level of complexity that pubbies can understand. Granted, korean maps may have faster gameplay, but is often too complicated .. Then, add-on the language barrier, and you got yourself maps that people just don't understand....

Btw, why'd u want spawns everywhere? :\ ... that gets rid of the strategy/ability to hide/stalk/lure/choose to fight with spawns or without due to ranged/melee advantages and etc. (Norm's Hero Sanctuary's terrain is even bigger... HEY NORM, word of advice, change the terrain so different areas are different. Right now, it's all mumbo-jumbo... :P)

And yeah, tha spells aren't REALLY creative :P .. They're creative enough to fit the niche of the hero, which I had yet to see done well. I tried with Psion n ED .. failed (but not really due to spells sucking, but due to Dragoon's explosive attack, and lurker's splash attack offsetting the balance of the map)...

To compare with the korean maps that I've played, they're all about using spells all the time. I find that very repetitive and counter-intuitive. Due to the limitations of SC, casting a spell requires hotkeying a building, pressing that hotkey, and building a respective unit.. which is WAY WAY too much work for something that we need to do repetitively. Additionally, this creates a lag time, which is obviously neglegible to seasoned players, but debilitating to pubbies. The normal unit attacks of SC units are varied enough to be useful in creating unique heroes.

For instance, I wanted to make a Glass Cannon niched hero... It instantly made sense that That unit is Tassadar HT. His attack range is small, and he is slow. But I could make his spell attacks awesome, and HT always have a mystical aura around them... I must add that, unfortunately, this simple connection between hero niche and SC unit does not always appear in Korean maps.

Finally, @infinite lives.... Lemme tell ya, there is no deep-theoretical reasons why I limited the lives on TS. The only reason was I did not want games to go over an hour. I find that maps which play on for over an hour are less successful, usually because it takes so freaking long to finish that the players will not wish to remake, as they've already spent enough of their time... I found that 40mins - 1hr games best fit into people's time.. Call it silly or call it too superficial, but I felt it was important in making the game popular.

@Teamwork: .... With v1.5 .. I can safely say that forced teamwork doesn't really bode well with pubbies... Ppl don't like Psion (some do, but most don't). Not that i'd give up on it, but I can see that its spell set is too focused on support.

EDIT: Oh and ya, NO SHIT DOTA IS BETTER!! :rolleyes:

None.

Nov 25 2009, 1:34 am Norm Post #45

Quote from UnholyUrine
(Norm's Hero Sanctuary's terrain is even bigger... HEY NORM, word of advice, change the terrain so different areas are different. Right now, it's all mumbo-jumbo... :P)

You are in no position to be giving me advice.

"Unnecessary remark about my map is Unnecessary."

This is suppose to be a topic about General AoS theory anyway...

Personally, it's apparent to me that the B.net masses are ready to take their AoS experience to the next level.

None.

Nov 25 2009, 3:59 am Falkoner Post #46

How often do you play TS? Bnet pubbies aren't known for playing games involving large amounts of waiting, but heaps play TS. I play TS in part because there's always something going on, it's almost full on action most games.

Compare TS to Storm the Fort, Astrogears, or Custom Hero Wars, all of them are incredibly fast-paced when compared to Temple Siege.

None.

Nov 25 2009, 4:21 am UnholyUrine Post #47

what?? Astrogears??? ...

Also.. storm the fort? ...
Maybe u should see some replays D:

@norm- : err okay? .. then "suggestion"

None.

Nov 25 2009, 4:32 am Falkoner Post #48

The gameplay is fine when you're actually in the action, but when the walk from your base to heal back to the action takes like a minute and a half, that's when I get bored of the map.

None.

Nov 25 2009, 7:22 am UnholyUrine Post #49

Isn't Storm the Fort the same?

None.

Nov 26 2009, 2:14 am Wing Zero Post #50

Magic box god; Suck it Corbo

LOL necro is funnn :D

Nov 26 2009, 5:37 am Falkoner Post #51

Isn't Storm the Fort the same?

Storm the Fort has more units, on a smaller playing field, it's hard to avoid seeing units or heroes if you're out of your base.

None.

Nov 26 2009, 3:46 pm The Starport Post #52

I hate calling them AoS, DotA, TS, whatever. They need a proper name. Since Aeon of Strife was the original, why not just call them Strife maps from now on?

Yeah, I like that.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 26 2009, 3:55 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Nov 26 2009, 4:12 pm ClansAreForGays Post #53

Assault, is already the technical category they fall under. They are just of the pvp subtype.

Nov 26 2009, 4:33 pm The Starport Post #54

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Assault, is already the technical category they fall under. They are just of the pvp subtype.
Yeah that's what I used to call them, but no one ever seems to use that name.

None.

Nov 27 2009, 1:39 am UnholyUrine Post #55

Solution:

Call them Assault of Strife ....

Still AoS ;)

None.

Nov 27 2009, 2:17 am The Starport Post #56

Other problem is that AoS sounds a lot like ass. You guys are making ass maps.

:P

AoS isn't even correct, anyway. That name comes from starcraft lore.

None.

Nov 27 2009, 2:24 am ClansAreForGays Post #57

AoS isn't even correct, anyway.
What do you mean by this? Are you talking about the made up commanders in AoS?

Nov 27 2009, 2:28 am The Starport Post #58

I mean AoS refers to a piece of starcraft lore that a map was later based on. It's an ugly collision of meanings.

Meh. PvP Assault it is.

None.

Dec 1 2009, 7:44 am ClansAreForGays Post #59

Quote from Norm
Quote from UnholyUrine
(Norm's Hero Sanctuary's terrain is even bigger... HEY NORM, word of advice, change the terrain so different areas are different. Right now, it's all mumbo-jumbo... :P)

Personally, it's apparent to me that the B.net masses are ready to take their AoS experience to the next level.
woah, just read this. Were you of sound mind when you wrote this norm?

Dec 1 2009, 2:19 pm Norm Post #60

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Quote from Norm
Quote from UnholyUrine

woah, just read this. Were you of sound mind when you wrote this norm?

Of Course!

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum