Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Jumping into Firegrft, something bad happened
Jumping into Firegrft, something bad happened
Oct 25 2008, 5:24 am
By: Angle Lock  

Oct 26 2008, 7:08 am bajadulce Post #21

Quote from Angle Lock
.. instead, they try to solve the problems..
He gave you a solution. Simply FAKE it by swapping the hatcheries graphic for the lairs + the strings + the buttons + the cmdicons + the wireframs + all the requirements that are effected etc etc but keep the unit id. ... problem solved.

Buildings such as Lair/Hive/Greater Spire are buildings that are morphed from existing buildings. The engine deals with them differently. They can't be built via "zerg construction". It's probably some kind of harcoded thing. There are many hardcoded things that thwart modders all the time. This being one to add to that list. And changing the graphic construction of the Lair/Hive/GSpire in units.dat prob isn't going to solve your problem either... just my guess. There's no reason why you can't leave the unit as hatchery and still achieve what you're trying to do.

None.

Oct 26 2008, 2:31 pm Angle Lock Post #22

The thing is, I want a separate unit producer for zerg, and hatchary is supposed to take that role, if I swap them around or whatever u said...

what happens to my unit producer?

None.

Oct 26 2008, 4:26 pm bajadulce Post #23

You can use another building? I read where you want to use the hatchery as a barracks like building anyways? i.e. "train" units without larva I assume. If that's the case, any Zerg building can accomplish this. If you want to keep the Zerg's tech and not use an existing building, There are cerebrate and the hero cerebrate. Whatever you use, you need to enable the Firegraft exe edit that allows Zerg to train at buildings and you're golden.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 26 2008, 4:30 pm by bajadulce. Reason: added picture

None.

Oct 26 2008, 5:12 pm Angle Lock Post #24

The one thing about that is....

You don't get a rally point : )

oh well, forget about it, i don't think there is a solution to this, its all hard-coded...

I will just have to come up with some other ideas...

None.

Oct 26 2008, 5:54 pm bajadulce Post #25

Quote from Angle Lock
You don't get a rally point : )
Then use a unit that does. Such as Barracks for example. Here is a quick demo that I made that shows a zerg "building" rallying zerglings. I used the barracks as my unit id. and the cerebrate as my graphic. You could use anything for the graphic including the Lair or Hatchery.. whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PIr0R_G5tc

None.

Oct 27 2008, 2:00 am Angle Lock Post #26

then the terrans would have no barracks....

see now i have to use another thing for terran, then i will have to use something else for that thing....

then at the end, i still will be 1 building short...

None.

Oct 27 2008, 3:48 am bajadulce Post #27

The Lair becomes your Terran Barracks since it can't be used as a "buildable" Zerg building due to the hardcoded health bar thing. The Lair swaps with the Barracks problem solved and humanity prospers.

I'd like to offer you more modding advice, but alas you've exhausted my resources.. :) Good luck with your project and your future endeavors as a modder. Think outside the box, Explore, make small tests to help isolate your problems to come up with viable solutions.

~Peace out.

None.

Options
  Back to forum