Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Geopolitics Matters
Geopolitics Matters
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Oct 4 2008, 8:59 pm
By: Centreri  

Nov 23 2008, 2:14 am BiOAtK Post #21

I think within our lifetimes China will become the new global superpower and the US will pretend to still be, but basically be China's bitch. That's why I want to learn Mandarin!

None.

Nov 23 2008, 3:22 am ClansAreForGays Post #22

Quote from Anonymous
I think within our lifetimes China will become the new global superpower and the US will pretend to still be, but basically be China's bitch. That's why I want to learn Mandarin!
I can't imagine a country with enough nukes to destroy the world many times over ever playing second-fiddle to one that doesn't. Even if China surpasses us while playing by the rules, there will be some serious hell to pay.

Nov 23 2008, 3:20 pm Centreri Post #23

Relatively ancient and inactive

Yeah, I don't think that America will be China's bitch at any point. Unless it breaks apart or something. China can become the #1 economic and military and possibly even nuclear power (though doubtful), but I think that the US will, while not keep up, at least keep in the same general area, power-wise. Able to defend itself. Kind of like the relationship between the US and Russia - one's more powerful in almost every sphere, but the other is powerful enough to defend its interests.

Plus, China definitely has some problems of its own. At 1.4 billion people, it is theorized that it could face a food crisis. It's pollution levels over major cities are higher in the world, and by the time it reaches superpower status (if it does - its growth can easily slow down if some conditions are met, and I expect a maybe 5% growth in 2009 as compared to double-digits in 2007 (it's already slowed to 9% from an expected ~11% in 2008, as a result of the economic crisis - four months of it lowered by 2%)) it'll be even worse. China's facing some other environmental problems like desertification in its western regions, etc. Additionally, if the increase in living standards slows down (as it may during the economic crisis), the public can become more restless. While there's effectively no chance of a revolution, things could start happening.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 5:54 pm Centreri Post #24

BUMP FOR MORE GREAT JUSTICE.

Also, a few updates:
China's economic growth rate this quarter fell from 12% pre-crisis to 2% now, fueled by the sudden stall of consumerism world-wide. Fun Fact: 16 of the 20 most polluted cities are in China.
Russia's economic growth rate this quarter was... in recession. -2%, I think it was. Stupid oil prices.
Brazil and India presumably suffered as well, but I haven't read any specific articles. Probably around 0% growth both.

US and EU are in recession as well. Also, I'm updating first post to include European Union.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 31 2008, 6:19 pm by Centreri.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 6:23 pm BeDazed Post #25

I think within our lifetimes China will become the new global superpower and the US will pretend to still be, but basically be China's bitch. That's why I want to learn Mandarin
China will never grow to be the superpower you're looking for.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 6:30 pm Centreri Post #26

Ooh.. why not?

None.

Dec 31 2008, 7:34 pm ClansAreForGays Post #27

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Quote from Anonymous
I can't imagine a country with enough nukes to destroy the world many times over ever playing second-fiddle to one that doesn't. Even if China surpasses us while playing by the rules, there will be some serious hell to pay.

Dec 31 2008, 7:43 pm Centreri Post #28

What serious hell? Are you going to nuke them for becoming stronger? What else can you do?

None.

Dec 31 2008, 7:44 pm Dapperdan Post #29

Centreri... bumping is against the rules

Topic Bumping: Do not make posts to bump your topic to the top of the list. If there is genuine interest in your topic, then there is. If there isn't, reconsider what you're posting and give people more of a reason to read it. Otherwise, it's just too bad.

I've already let it knowingly slide twice (the first time was bumping after there hadn't been a post for a day, the second was after about a month). You've also double posted in this topic 4 times. Time for this topic to be closed.

None.

Options
  Back to forum