Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Mods that require a specially set up map
Mods that require a specially set up map
Sep 21 2008, 11:53 pm
By: Biophysicist  

Sep 21 2008, 11:53 pm Biophysicist Post #1

I was wondering if it would be considered wierd or "bad" to publish a mod that requires a specially set up map to work. That is all.

None.

Sep 21 2008, 11:55 pm Doodle77 Post #2

Several existing mods require maps to be specifically made for them, the most notable being Ad Astras and Orid Ibanna. So I'd say we're OK with it, assuming you provide a few different maps, not just one.

None.

Sep 22 2008, 1:29 am Biophysicist Post #3

Okay. I though Orid Ibanna could be played with any map though, assuming you use it's tileset... Whatever, thanks.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 22 2008, 9:07 pm by TassadarZeratul.

Sep 22 2008, 2:56 am Corbo Post #4

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

It depends.
We're okay with Ad Astras and Orid Ibanna using special maps because the maps are basically just for playing what the mod is intented for.
Their maps however do not take an specific part to the modification (for example using triggers because you can't do something in modding (UMS))

fuck you all

Sep 22 2008, 9:07 pm Biophysicist Post #5

Ah okay. Let me explain a little more: In a mod I'm (slowly) working on, Vespane geysers are much more important than in vanilla SC. (Well, more accuraly, the Refinery/Extractor/Assimilator is.) Due to specifics of the mod, there will need to be a lot more Geysers than normal by about a factor of 10. Therefor, the only maps this mod can be played on are ones with a lot of geysers, and I can't think of any non-USM map that has enough. (Money maps might, but they still won't work for other reasons having to deal with geyser placement.)

None.

Sep 22 2008, 9:59 pm HailFire Post #6

Can't you make the refineries geyser-independant?

Alternately, just make/modify some maps with moar geysers.

None.

Sep 22 2008, 11:25 pm Biophysicist Post #7

Can't you make the refineries geyser-independant?

No, the whole point is to force the players to control as many geysers as they can. If I made the Refinery not need to be built on a geyser, that would defeat the purpose of making the refinery so important.

Alternately, just make/modify some maps with moar geysers.
I was asking if it would be weird to force the players to use a specially set up map, an example of which would be what you just suggested. :P

None.

Sep 22 2008, 11:57 pm poiuy_qwert Post #8

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Quote from Doodle77
So I'd say we're OK with it, assuming you provide a few different maps, not just one.
I think this.

Sep 23 2008, 2:39 am Vi3t-X Post #9

What would capturing such geysers pose? This isn't a RISK mod is it...

None.

Sep 23 2008, 12:37 pm Biophysicist Post #10

No... You'll see when (if) I finish the mod.

None.

Options
  Back to forum