Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: kill minerals?
kill minerals?
Aug 4 2008, 8:31 pm
By: Forsaken Archer
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Polls
Should we just kill minerals?
Should we just kill minerals?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
yes, kill them 14

20%
None.
no, i love minerals 34

49%
None.
i don't care either way 22

32%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 70 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Aug 6 2008, 5:35 pm KrayZee Post #21

I wish the mini games of SEN where you play all of those classical 8-bit or flash games were the games of giving us minerals by winning. I actually remembered that people tried to get the least score as possible as a figure of boredom to give themselves a good laugh.

But SOMEONE had to break the games and suddenly gave himself a giant jackpot of exploit, it had to be shutdown. :(

Plus I still remember the one and only game called "Zerg Pets" where everything is so damn expensive, feeding an Ultralisk with a pair of Marines and Firebats are not enough. :P

Other than that, how the hell did 'Minerals' became a part of currency? It's more of a resource burning fuel for the Terrans, a diet of growth for the Zerg, and giving energetic powering crystals for the Protoss ('Cause the Pylon is made out of minerals). Technically though.

None.

Aug 6 2008, 10:24 pm EzDay281 Post #22

but I'd keep the concept of minerals and instead apply them to a different system.
... like what? o.O
Your posting habits should have NOTHING to do with anything about minerals. Which is the main point that they should just die.
Personally, I don't mind what one's motivation for posting is, as long as they keep themselves respectable. And a half-intelligent guy should know that stupid posts are the best way to reverse their mineral growths. Those below that point probably shouldn't be around here too much, anyways. ;P

As long as those who don't want to bother buying their features get to turn 'em off, and they don't really lose any non-mineral related features ( i.e., no less avatar space than fully upgraded, can still play in SEN Mafia, etc. ) , then I'd like to keep 'em. And while I can't honestly say that I wouldn't mind if they were gone, any misgivings of mine would be rather... small.

None.

Aug 7 2008, 3:25 am Demented Shaman Post #23

Quote from KrayZee
I wish the mini games of SEN where you play all of those classical 8-bit or flash games were the games of giving us minerals by winning. I actually remembered that people tried to get the least score as possible as a figure of boredom to give themselves a good laugh.

But SOMEONE had to break the games and suddenly gave himself a giant jackpot of exploit, it had to be shutdown. :(

Plus I still remember the one and only game called "Zerg Pets" where everything is so damn expensive, feeding an Ultralisk with a pair of Marines and Firebats are not enough. :P

Other than that, how the hell did 'Minerals' became a part of currency? It's more of a resource burning fuel for the Terrans, a diet of growth for the Zerg, and giving energetic powering crystals for the Protoss ('Cause the Pylon is made out of minerals). Technically though.
Yea. The time of SEN armies and zerg pets was the golden age. Stupid jerk had to go and break and exploit everything. I was pretty damn good at armies too. LOL AND I HAD LIKE THREE PETS AND I WOULD FIGHT MYSELF TO LEVEL THEM. I HAD THE BEST PETS OMG.

None.

Aug 7 2008, 4:11 am Corbo Post #24

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

I remember that it took me like AGES to get enough minerals to buy a pet and right after I bought it BOOM pets went offline :mad:

fuck you all

Aug 8 2008, 1:11 am Hercanic Post #25

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Why not award minerals for contributions to the site (submitting mods, maps, reviews, etc), instead of from posts? That way purchasables like bigger avatars and the like are more of a thank-you gift.

Minerals awarded could be based on the number of downloads or rating of what you contribute. Threads that are stickied could earn the poster minerals. Approved wiki articles could earn minerals. *shrug* Turn minerals into a reward that benefits the site, instead of just something you get for anything.

Quote from EzDay281
but I'd keep the concept of minerals and instead apply them to a different system.
... like what? o.O
Anything. Post count, Karma, Reputation, whatever works. If we have Karma and Reputation, they could be Minerals and Gas. Not perfect, but it's suiting.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 8 2008, 1:16 am by Hercanic.

Aug 8 2008, 1:19 am Falkoner Post #26

Why not award minerals for contributions to the site (submitting mods, maps, reviews, etc), instead of from posts? That way purchasables like bigger avatars and the like are more of a thank-you gift.

Because that means less automation, unless you want people spamming the DLDB with crap maps.

None.

Aug 8 2008, 1:32 am Hercanic Post #27

You're not thinking the idea through. Automation is achieved with simple requirements, such as download and rating prerequisits. Crap can be reported, and obvious signs of abuse can be punished just like with the current money system and spam (just easier to manage). Afterall, spam is ever present and very difficult to manage in a large community. The DLDB is significantly smaller by comparison and is meant to be the crowning feature of this site, and thus management is already a priority. A rating and download system is already in place (contrary to my post rating system idea), so only minimal coding would be required to tie everything together.

Aug 8 2008, 4:26 am FatalException Post #28

Quote from Falkoner

Because that means less automation, unless you want people spamming the DLDB with crap maps.
We have DLDB keepers, don't we?

None.

Aug 8 2008, 4:28 am Demented Shaman Post #29

Quote from Hercanic
The DLDB is significantly smaller by comparison and is meant to be the crowning feature of this site, and thus management is already a priority.
LOL. That's so funny because the staff has been without proper moderating power for months and the to be edited list is huge.

But that doesn't mean it's mean its not a priority since nothing else is being done either. :bleh:

None.

Aug 8 2008, 4:30 am Falkoner Post #30

We're volunteering, do you think we want to have to run through and check everything for abuse? Minerals are fine as is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

None.

Aug 8 2008, 4:31 am Demented Shaman Post #31

Quote from Falkoner

We're volunteering, do you think we want to have to run through and check everything for abuse? Minerals are fine as is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
We can go through every map because it's not that bad. The problem is we can't do anything about them because we can't edit the locked ones or delete anything. :bleh:

None.

Aug 8 2008, 4:52 am Hercanic Post #32

Dear Falkoner:
No reward, no (new) point in attempting abuse. Crap maps will not be rated high, and the comments section will reflect the quality of the map, affecting further downloads. All you need is to establish an appropriate threshold that will filter out the crap from the legitimate maps.

As for volunteering, same can be said about the forum moderators. How much spam do you estimate is motivated by minerals? Submitting a junk map takes a bit more effort than a few lines of random text. With the prerequisits in place, abusers can't even get far enough to earn anything for their time if they don't deliver on quality; unlike spam, which is consistently rewarded based only on character count.

Dear Devilesk:
Quote from devilesk
We can go through every map because it's not that bad. The problem is we can't do anything about them because we can't edit the locked ones or delete anything.
Obviously, this needs to change.

Aug 8 2008, 6:10 am Demented Shaman Post #33

Quote from Hercanic
Dear Devilesk:
Quote from devilesk
We can go through every map because it's not that bad. The problem is we can't do anything about them because we can't edit the locked ones or delete anything.
Obviously, this needs to change.
Oh really? I didn't know that. :rolleyes:

None.

Aug 9 2008, 10:13 pm Brontobyte Post #34

devilesk = DLDB Mod

*Uploads all his files before the jerk gets his powers*

None.

Aug 10 2008, 6:46 pm Hercanic Post #35

Quote from name:devilesk
Devilesk, you brought the issue up twice. Obviously you needed your comments acknowledged, so I stated the obvious in reply.

Aug 10 2008, 8:36 pm Demented Shaman Post #36

Quote from Hercanic
Devilesk, you brought the issue up twice. Obviously you needed your comments acknowledged, so I stated the obvious in reply.
YES I THANK YOU. ONCE HERCANIC ACKNOWLEDGES MY COMMENTS THEY FINALLY GET SOME ATTENTION.

None.

Aug 11 2008, 1:44 am dumbducky Post #37

Quote from KrayZee

LOL DEATHKNIGHT OWNED IT.

The exploit lied in the ability to use negative integers. The source code was released so that it could be fixed, but nobody ever fixed it.

But I <3 minerals.

tits

Aug 11 2008, 3:09 am Hercanic Post #38

Quote from devilesk
YES I THANK YOU. ONCE HERCANIC ACKNOWLEDGES MY COMMENTS THEY FINALLY GET SOME ATTENTION.
Your welcome. =oP Honestly, though, I believe I misinterpreted your initial intentions, so I apologize.

It seems a big shame to have cut out all those games over an exploit. =o\

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 11 2008, 3:19 am by Hercanic.

Aug 11 2008, 4:29 am Moose Post #39

We live in a society.

In addition to the "we're really digressing from StarCraft" issue.

Aug 11 2008, 5:20 pm Brontobyte Post #40

Quote from Hercanic

LULZ I just saw devilesk's post. :P

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum