Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: What anti virus do you use?
What anti virus do you use?
Jun 6 2008, 8:59 pm
By: Twitch
Pages: < 1 2 3

Polls
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Avast 5

14%
None.
Avg 10

28%
None.
BitDefender 10 0

0%
None.
Clamwin(based off of the unix anti virus clamAV) 0

0%
None.
Kaspersky 1

3%
None.
Norton 4

11%
None.
Nod32 5

14%
None.
None 8

22%
None.
Other 4

11%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 37 votes. You can vote for at most 2 option(s).

Jun 17 2008, 6:38 am Laser Dude Post #41

Quote from fatimid08
lol, over a 100 viruses. Are you sure most of those aren't just flash vulnerabilities and web exploits which work on any OS?
Actually, the statistic is "under 100 viruses", not over.

Here's an article which gives a brief (and pretty balanced) explanation of why Linux is more secure. (Note when they say "own", they're refering to user permissions)

This article seems pretty old (i.e. before repos became popular), but repos increase security because people are only getting software from a single source, which is pretty much garunteed to be correct. There's just too many things that can go wrong using a web browser to download programs (man-in-the-middle, incorrect URL (i.e. Fyrefox, who would know? People would think they can trust Mozalla! :P), and data-corruption.

There is, however, one well known Linux virus, called "Bliss", which tries to infect any executable it can gain access to. That page has a nice conclusion of how bliss scares people into doing what they should already be doing: not running as root, and not running binaries for which they can't view the source.

None.

Jun 17 2008, 1:03 pm Brontobyte Post #42

I noticed that if you have AVG v7.5 and you update it to AVG v8.0, its a trial version. DON'T BE FOOLED!!! It pops up ever time you start your computer "You have X amount of days left on your subscription". It even has a bar to represent how much time you have left, as if you couldn't figure it out yourself... :rolleyes: I don't even think that it works the same as the v7.5 did. I have my "Complete Scan" set to 8am every morning, although its rarely on at that time, it usually happens ~3pm. If it misses this 8am time period, it still doesn't run the test. Like now, my last test was only done because I went in and selected to run the test. As of right now, its 9:02am and it still has not run the test... I will have to buy the whole thing because the way I surf the web, I'm bound to be attacked by a jelly fish or eaten by a shark! :omfg:

None.

Jun 17 2008, 3:31 pm Falkoner Post #43

I should look up an AVG crack :P

None.

Jun 18 2008, 1:19 am ShadowFlare Post #44

Be sure you are getting it from http://free.grisoft.com/ and that you are downloading the free version, and not a trial version of the full AVG Security Suite. The free version of AVG does still exist, but the free version of 8.0 wasn't available as soon as the paid version was. AVG Free 8.0 now includes anti-spyware as well, btw. (instead of being a separate program as it was before)

8.0 also has a better interface for Windows Vista than 7.5 did. (with 7.5, you couldn't see when a scheduled scan was running, nor could you open up the window to pause or cancel it)

None.

Jun 18 2008, 4:00 pm Twitch Post #45

Quote from Laser Dude
Quote from fatimid08
lol, over a 100 viruses. Are you sure most of those aren't just flash vulnerabilities and web exploits which work on any OS?
Actually, the statistic is "under 100 viruses", not over.

Here's an article which gives a brief (and pretty balanced) explanation of why Linux is more secure. (Note when they say "own", they're refering to user permissions)

This article seems pretty old (i.e. before repos became popular), but repos increase security because people are only getting software from a single source, which is pretty much guaranteed to be correct. There's just too many things that can go wrong using a web browser to download programs (man-in-the-middle, incorrect URL (i.e. Fyrefox, who would know? People would think they can trust Mozalla! :P), and data-corruption.

There is, however, one well known Linux virus, called "Bliss", which tries to infect any executable it can gain access to. That page has a nice conclusion of how bliss scares people into doing what they should already be doing: not running as root, and not running binaries for which they can't view the source.
Somewhere on the ubuntu forums I believe a admin posted a 2006 link from somewhere and it said over 100 ,but anyways my point still stands there is atleast 1 virus for each major or semi major OS.(Linux,Mac,Windows)

None.

Jun 18 2008, 5:32 pm midget_man_66 Post #46

Quote from name:Dark_Marine
The best anti virus is being able to do it yourself.

Task manager is a big help though xD

agreed ^.^ ... i basically write down all of the processes that i am familiar with when i get a new program running, if there is something unusual running.. like TROJinject32.exe then i just end the process. but i do use Windows Defender to sweep the comp after just to be sure.

None.

Jun 18 2008, 5:35 pm midget_man_66 Post #47

Quote from Laser Dude
I find it funny how you people need to pay for a program to cover up for the flaws of your operating system.

Meh... windows xp os is fine with me. i find my self feeling accomplished, and manly when i remove viruses and spyware from my computer XD

None.

Jun 18 2008, 7:52 pm Falkoner Post #48

i find my self feeling accomplished, and manly when i remove viruses and spyware from my computer XD

I guess that doesn't happen too much for you :P

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum