Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Building My New Computer
Building My New Computer
Apr 8 2008, 3:07 am
By: Joshgt2  

Apr 12 2008, 1:55 pm ~:Deathawk:~ Post #21

Quote from MasterJohnny
Quote from Vi3t-X
The 8500GT is somewhat of an old model, compared to the new ones that NVidia has come up with.
The 9XXX series needs pci express 2.0 x16 which is relatively new and very expensive on intel motherboards
That is not true. The 9 series which utiliizes PCIe 2.0 is also backward compatible with PCIe 1.1 x16, and will not affect performance from cards at this moment. Perhaps later on when video cards require more bandwidth than what can be offered by PCIe 1.1 will there be performance loss, but we are not at that point yet.

None.

Apr 12 2008, 6:43 pm dumbducky Post #22

Quote from ShadowFlare
BTW, is your DVD drive SATA or IDE (A.K.A. PATA, sometimes)? If it is not SATA, absolutely make sure you get only SATA hard drives for your internal drives, since that board only has one connector for IDE and if it is connected to your DVD drive, the other connection on the cable won't reach a hard drive, most likely.
That board comes with 2 SATA cables, so he'd be alright as long as he got one HDD and optical drive.

tits

Apr 13 2008, 12:41 am ~:Deathawk:~ Post #23

ShadowFlare is referring to the problem of having more than one IDE device, being a DVD drive and an HDD. Most IDE cables will not be able to hook up both a HDD and a DVD drive together without causing havoc as far as wiring goes. With only one IDE controller, he has no other option if he were to get multiple IDE devices.

None.

Options
  Back to forum