Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: The Collector's Temple
The Collector's Temple
Mar 14 2008, 2:05 pm
By: gaiaguerrilla  

Mar 14 2008, 2:05 pm gaiaguerrilla Post #1

(NOTE: This OP originally had nothing but the title, which has been changed as per the statements up to Mini Moose).

The Collector's Temple.

I was avoiding giving this a description mainly because my basis for the level is reading the introduction programmed into it, then going by that introduction to solve clues. Saying more about it might ruin the challenge of solving the clues. As a player, it's encouraged that you wouldn't analyze anything of the map before playing. As a programmer, I assumed it's somewhat easier to download it and "what you see is what you get" that my description wouldn't be of any use to you better than the program already shows.

But I guess in the spirit that I'm only talking to programmers that are here to advise on its improvement (which is good), then my presentation is about what I want to accomplish with it -- which in turn suggests I would've been better to place it in "mapmaking" rather than "showcase". Nevertheless, here's the idea--

I want to make levels more complex than killing every enemy in sight. I'm also fond of the rpgesque feel but I don't like to make a game using Starcraft characters to emulate some other genre. It's too weird when you do that.

So I want to work within the Starcraft storyline and make interesting plots. With that said, I'm happy with opinion about the nature of the story as well as the gameplay. But there's no point in going too in-depth because this is kind of my quick test of what I want to do, considered like a rough draft.

So what do I want players to do in the game?

A temple was found and you have to figure out what to do with it. After reading some clues you will hopefully gather that I want you to develop your technologies including my favourites. I'm really fond of the idea that you can create a Dark Archon to eventually command all different races, as well as neutral characters. I'm also really fond of the idea that you can transport virtually anything you can command using the Arbiter. I would've also liked the idea that you'd have to nuke a specific point on the map, but I don't know enough to require that.

So what was the simplest way to achieve all that?

The player as it turns out has to bring an Infested Terran along with the zoo of all 6 different standard neutral characters (animals) to the temple. To produce an infested terran (it's unlikely the enemy will have one for you) you have to develop high technology in both Terran and Zerg races. Interestingly enough, you also have to be a little friendly to your enemy (all the SCVs or Zerg die, and you're screwed. I kill you off if it happens so you don't end up doing all sorts of work for nothing). I also advise at the beginning (without really saying why) that you don't want those units to die.

I like grandiose decoration for the temple (I was actually hoping to do something more grandiose, but it's rough draft). I also like how the path puts you through long twists and turns (like an rpg) in which you're probably better off sending units down those paths and infiltrating before developing all your flight technology.

When I played my level (I confess I'm a noob), it was easy enough to invade all the bases with photon cannons then produce carriers until I've killed the protoss, and subdued the terrans and zerg to "extract" my precious Drones and SCVs.

I'm hoping my clues are useful enough. They say nothing direct but heavily imply what you need to do. I like philosophical terms like "the collector appreciates both those defenseless and those martyrs infested by the wrath of war" then also using advice "beware the Dark Archons with their mind control whom appear with two Dark Templers and the infested terrans that martyr themselves" (lol) so that someone unfamiliar with the terms can pick up what to do. ("Oh look. That Zerg Queen says 'infest'")

The game also doesn't allow you to win until you've read all the clues (hey, they have to read all my stuff).

Here's a more point form of how I want this to work.

*The player has to solve clues. The answers are not handed to him but are made obvious enough.

*The player has to use advanced technology to its limits. It doesn't require quick thinking but does require a good understanding of what you can accomplish.

*The player has to hesitate from just killing everything that flashes red. Be covert. Exploit the enemy for your own ends.

*I had an alternative idea to finding the temple. You have to partially build the temple like a magic spell. Eg: "Place pylons in all these locations to form a pentagon to create the portal"

I'm hoping that this better suffices as an introduction, and lets me keep my thread, moose.

Attachments:
collectorstemple.scx
Hits: 29 Size: 196.1kb

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Mar 16 2008, 12:38 am by gaiaguerrilla.

None.

Mar 14 2008, 7:37 pm lil-Inferno Post #2

Just here for the pie

Give us more information or screenshots so we are actually tempted to play the map. . .

Mar 14 2008, 9:52 pm gaiaguerrilla Post #3

Please delete this post as it originally stated what's already said in OP.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 16 2008, 12:26 am by gaiaguerrilla. Reason: See post.

None.

Mar 15 2008, 12:35 am Fisty Post #4

Quote from gaiaguerrilla
Sorry no screenshots yet.
...Get some, its a rule.

None.

Mar 15 2008, 2:34 pm Paravin. Post #5

We asks for MOAR screenshots!

None.

Mar 15 2008, 2:39 pm Moose Post #6

We live in a society.

Screenshots aren't required for releasing a map... but can help to contribute to a good description of the map, which this topic lacks. gaiaguerrilla, please tells us more about your map than it's name (edit the topic post to include this info please) or I will have to close your topic.

http://www.staredit.net/topic/1019/

Mar 16 2008, 12:40 am gaiaguerrilla Post #7

See OP. Also, if anyone can tell me . . . How the bloody hell can I take my map to battle.net so I can host it and have others playtest it? I swear I went to "create" > "browse" > "download" and it gave me a list with no options to enter a URL. I'm stumped.

None.

Mar 16 2008, 8:50 pm ZzEzZ Post #8

is that where you saved your map? in the download map folder of your SC stuff? its usually
create>browse>up one level (if in download)
and then scroll down a lil and ur map should be there.... or at least, thats where mine are saved to o.0

None.

Mar 17 2008, 12:22 pm gaiaguerrilla Post #9

Oh my gosh. Now I solved the problem for download. Sorry for the hassle. Thanks.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Mar 17 2008, 1:15 pm by gaiaguerrilla.

None.

Mar 17 2008, 9:44 pm Oyen Post #10

If you want to get onto battle.net (the place where you play multiplayer maps, not the actual website), then you need to start up Starcraft and use the Mulitplayer option. Then enter Battle.net via US WEST or US EAST. Once you've done all the misc. stuff like making an account and downloading the latest patch, you'll end up in some chat room. Click on the HOST button, and select the browse option. Select your map, and then start the new game. Make sure the speed is set to Fastest.

If you already knew this, then I completely misinterpreted your question from 3 posts above.

None.

Mar 17 2008, 9:51 pm who Post #11

you have to have your map in your maindisk\program files\starcraft\maps or you won't be able to choose it when you browse
If no one joins your game, you may need to forward port 6112 for udp.
basically go to start > run > cmd, then type "ipconfig". Go to the address of your default gateway in your browser and enter your username and password, then go find the port forwarding section. Add a new entry and forward the port for your local ip (also shown when you type ipconfig; it is usually 192.168.1.#, not your default gateway)

None.

Mar 18 2008, 6:51 pm gaiaguerrilla Post #12

Yeah. Sorry to put you all through the details. I was getting a lot of great advice but what I kept on failing to realize was that the browse button was reading my OWN files not the files saved onto battle.net (lol). I thought it was more like uploading an avatar or sprite, I thought battle.net worked as an FTP for my .scx or .scm file. When I saw options like "save" and "download" I thought it was in regards to battle.net and didn't realize it's giving me the document tree from my own files.

None.

Mar 19 2008, 3:54 pm gaiaguerrilla Post #13

A quick change for 2 player (2nd player just support)

Attachments:
collectorstemple2.scx
Hits: 2 Size: 196.1kb
collectorstemple2.scx
Hits: 5 Size: 196.1kb

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Mar 23 2008, 4:55 am by gaiaguerrilla.

None.

Options
  Back to forum