Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: StarCraft II - Developer Update
StarCraft II - Developer Update
Mar 12 2012, 8:29 pm
By: Ahli  

Mar 12 2012, 8:29 pm Ahli Post #1

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

STARCRAFT II - Developer Update
--- Patch 1.5 and future plans ---

Blizzard's Starcraft 2 Game Director Dustin Browder talks about improvements that are planned or scheduled for the next patch 1.5.
These changes include improvements to the battle.net's custom games, chat channels, art tools and much more.

A small extract:
Quote from Dustin Browder
The upcoming 1.5 patch will be our most feature-laden patch to date. This patch represents the first steps towards the release of our first expansion for StarCraft II, Heart of the Swarm, and will include numerous upgrades and fixes throughout the game. One of the most significant additions will be the all new Arcade feature which includes improved custom game visibility, ratings, reviews, game instructions, screenshot support, and more. Patch 1.5 will also include significant improvements throughout the overall user interface, streaming support, antialiasing, editor and modding upgrades, new art tools, and more. We’ll go into further details about these features in future developer updates. In this update, I would like to provide some insight into the thinking and motivation behind a few of the upcoming changes.
You can read the complete article here.

Xordiah from the EU forums clarified an improvement:
Quote from Xordiah
Just to clarify, the streaming support refers to the technology of having the client already usable before all of the content of the game is downloaded. Basically you download core content and are ready to play while the rest of the content is being downloaded in the background. This is mainly interesting for players that use the Starter Edition to test the game. They won't have to wait for a long time before diving in.
Source

Mar 12 2012, 8:40 pm Jack Post #2

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

This actually makes me have a bit more confidence in the SC2 dev team and their willingness to listen to complaints. It took a while but it sounds like they're going to give us something not far off the custom games list of ye olden times.

Also, art tools YES.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 12 2012, 8:48 pm IskatuMesk Post #3

Lord of the Locker Room

I have no confidence. They may earn a tiny shred of confidence if the "tools", aka the max plugin, isn't some outdated pos like it was for wc3. I'll be waiting.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Mar 12 2012, 9:03 pm Lanthanide Post #4

The things they are talking about are all very obvious things they should have had from the beginning - such as allowing people 'nearby' (connecting with the same IP address, aka ye olde LAN party) to easily join games.

Now I can't believe that Blizzard is some dum-dum company that has no idea what they're doing - Warcraft 3's b.net interface shows they certainly can implement these things. So I can only conclude that the current iteration of battle.net is deliberate and what they delivered is what they thought was going to be good enough. This in itself is quite concerning.

On a related note, PvP has been dropped from release of Diablo 3 in order to get it released some time this year. They promise PvP will come later in a free patch, and while people like might to imagine that'll be within 3 months, I'm picking it'll be more like 6+. It seems Blizzard is really having a very difficult time executing their development plans, and I think this is reflected in their lackluster SC2 b.net implementation and just how long it's taken them to get to this 1.5 patch when these problems have been glaringly evident for over a year.

None.

Mar 12 2012, 9:58 pm payne Post #5

:payne:

In my opinion, the whole thing before patch 1.5 on sc2 WoL was an experiment to try to really force players to adapt to a new type of B.net.
After seeing it failed miserably, they understood that they had to return to the older form of B.net like the one on sc1. However, if they wait for the release of the new sc2, they would lose a lot of buyers because they might not buy it thinking it's going to be a disappointing form of B.net once again... so they are making sure to show off what kind of B.net will be in the new sc2 throughout their current version of sc2.

None.

Mar 12 2012, 10:22 pm TiKels Post #6

To help players find games more easily in patch 1.5, we intend to include an “open games list.”
BLIZZARD DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ESPORTS. LOOK AT STARCRAFT. THEY DIDN'T EVEN INCLUDE CHAT CHANNELS UH..THE POPULARITY SYSTEM SUCKS

Joking aside, I'm sure a whole lot of you will be happy with the new sc2.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Mar 12 2012, 11:17 pm UnholyUrine Post #7

All negativities aside, I'm glad they're fixing things.
(though it doesn't distinguish the fact that these things should've been incorporated in the first place)

None.

Options
  Back to forum