Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: MadZombie's PC Thread
MadZombie's PC Thread
Feb 24 2012, 8:58 pm
By: MadZombie
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Feb 26 2012, 9:16 am ShadowFlare Post #21

Quote from rockz
As for monitors: ShadowFlare, are you saying that the VX2336S has a good IPS LCD panel, or has a good LCD panel because it's IPS? My LG IPS226V was $150 a long while ago and is awesome IMO.
More than just that it would be a good LCD because it is IPS, but also I've seen two of their VP2365wb monitors and neither have any noticeable backlight bleed from any corner or edge, which even other brands with the same price I've heard of consistently having uneven lighting on some of their IPS LCDs, so I'd be more inclined to believe that the ViewSonic IPS LCDs don't have as much of a problem with that. Based on the customer review on Amazon.com that I was referring to before, it sounds like the LED backlit versions might have a little bit, but they suggested that the VX2336S was actually better in that respect than the LED version of the VP2365wb.

btw, a quick search for that monitor you mentioned seems to suggest that it isn't on the market at a good price anymore. There just aren't many choices for IPS LCDs at good prices at the moment. Those two I mentioned are the only sub-$200 ones I'm aware of at the moment.

Quote from MadZombie
Also another question. Apologies ahead of time in case it's... ridiculous. Would it be possible to use your computer monitor as a TV? I know you can use modern TV's as a monitor but does it work the other way around? I ask because my current TV is failing and it would save me a lot of trouble and money if I can just buy a really high end monitor and also use it as a TV.
What do you want to hook up to it? If you want to hook up an antenna for digital TV, that wouldn't be possible (though you could get a tuner to use on your computer), but if you want to hook up some device that has HDMI, that is something you can do. Obviously, having an HDMI port on the monitor helps if you want to hook up a device that uses HDMI, but if the monitor you get doesn't have HDMI and the device you want to connect has audio connections you can use separate from the HDMI, you can still use an HDMI to DVI adapter and a stereo RCA to 3.5mm audio adapter.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 26 2012, 9:22 am by ShadowFlare.

None.

Feb 27 2012, 12:00 am rockz Post #22

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

FYI, backlight bleeding is a problem on virtually ALL LCDs. My 2 old TN panels had it. 3 others I got as gifts have it. LED backlight in truth makes the problem worse in cheaper monitors because the CCFL uses a light spreader better. However, I can't notice it except on a perfectly black screen.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Feb 28 2012, 8:04 pm MadZombie Post #23

The other day my friend offered to sell me his computer. I can't remember the parts but from what I can remember it was:

i5 quad cpu
460 ti 756mb
730 watt PSU (lol)
Some micro atx mother board
4gbs of ram
1TB harddrive
Blue ray drive
Some $40~ case
with some after coolermaster market heatsink fan

He said he'd sell it for $550. Should I go for it SEN? He's going to use the money to buy a weaker PC since he plans on going into the airforce. He bought the 730 PSU for like 150ish I think he told me. He really regrets it lol. Also regrets the blu ray drive. But yea what does SEN think?

None.

Feb 28 2012, 8:37 pm Aristocrat Post #24

Those specs are vague as hell so there is no way for me to tell if it's worth $550 or not.

None.

Feb 28 2012, 9:02 pm Sacrieur Post #25

Still Napping

What's the socket? The CPU, is it sandy bridge or xxx series? Who is the mobo manufacturer? What is the RAM speed? Who is the graphics card manufacturer? How long as he owned this machine? Who is the PSU manufacturer?

None.

Feb 28 2012, 9:11 pm ShadowFlare Post #26

Since the specs are vague, I just looked for the cheapest I could find on Newegg that fit your description (except searching Google shopping for the video card and just added $40 instead of searching a case). The minimum price I figured was about $650. If you can find the answers to Sacrieur's questions and they are good answers, it might be a good deal.

None.

Feb 28 2012, 9:23 pm MadZombie Post #27

i5 2500 3.3 quad intel sandy bridge
Mother board is a gigabyte socket 1155
Ram and psu are both corsair
Ram speed is 1333
Psu is 750 watt not 730
Gpu manufacturer is asus

He has owned it for less than a year for sure. A year in may i think?

I think thats everything right?

None.

Feb 28 2012, 9:32 pm ShadowFlare Post #28

Sounds good to me. Any idea on hard drive maker?

None.

Feb 28 2012, 9:36 pm MadZombie Post #29

Seagate

None.

Feb 28 2012, 9:38 pm ShadowFlare Post #30

Well, those details bring it up to around maybe $730 minimum for buying it new.

None.

Feb 28 2012, 9:41 pm MadZombie Post #31

In that case im going to give my friend 600, he is my best bro after all.

None.

Feb 28 2012, 9:44 pm Aristocrat Post #32

Yeah, I'd consider it a good deal. Not a fan of that GPU though, but I guess you can't be picky.

None.

Feb 28 2012, 9:59 pm Sacrieur Post #33

Still Napping

The weak point is the graphics card. If you planned to get srs bsns with it you may want to upgrade, but it will perform well for anything casual.

None.

Feb 28 2012, 10:12 pm ShadowFlare Post #34

Just wanted to let you know that the ViewSonic VX2336S I had mentioned has also arrived on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116527 (previous link was for Amazon.com, http://www.amazon.com/Viewsonic-VX2336S-23-Inch-Widescreen-Backlight/dp/B006DDGJMQ )

The other monitor I mentioned:
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS229H-P-21-5-Inch-Wide-Monitor/dp/B005S0XYKK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236205

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Feb 28 2012, 10:25 pm by ShadowFlare.

None.

Feb 28 2012, 10:19 pm Sacrieur Post #35

Still Napping

Also, there's no reason for you to keep that PSU. It's like twice as much power as you could possibly need.

CORSAIR Builder series CX500

You could also opt for the CX430, but hey. So cut a deal and knock off a $80 - $100 to let him keep the PSU and install one of those instead. You'll end up saving money and he'll end up saving money when he builds his new machine, it's a win for everyone.

None.

Feb 29 2012, 12:40 am Aristocrat Post #36

Quote from Sacrieur
Also, there's no reason for you to keep that PSU. It's like twice as much power as you could possibly need.
PSUs are actually more efficient at half load than near-full load, so replacing the PSU won't do him much good.

None.

Feb 29 2012, 3:21 am Sacrieur Post #37

Still Napping

Quote from Aristocrat
Quote from Sacrieur
PSUs are actually more efficient at half load than near-full load, so replacing the PSU won't do him much good.

Is it worth $30 - 50?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 29 2012, 4:23 am by Sacrieur.

None.

Feb 29 2012, 3:22 am MadZombie Post #38

If anything I feel like I should let him keep the graphics card and buy my own.

None.

Mar 2 2012, 4:59 am rockz Post #39

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

GTX 460 is identical to the 6850.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 2 2012, 6:20 am Aristocrat Post #40

Quote from rockz
GTX 460 is identical to the 6850.
Runs a lot hotter though.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum