Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Personal Work and copyright infringement
Personal Work and copyright infringement
Dec 16 2007, 11:39 pm
By: sharf  

Dec 16 2007, 11:39 pm sharf Post #1

Ok, I have a website(updating) to bring back a youtube series I've made. Now just wondering; Im recording a game and making a comedy thing from it(like Red vs Blue) and host them on youtube, I also use music.

In the credits I say that the game was made by the people who made it, and give full credit to the owner of the music.

My question is; is that copyright infringement, and if not, would allowing visitors to the site to download the episodes be illegal?

Thanks, sharf ^^ :)

None.

Dec 17 2007, 12:14 am Doodan Post #2

It technically is illegal (especially if you're using entire songs), but it's so rampant across the internet that I don't think you'd have to worry. Artists' Rights group largely target people who are making money off of distributing copies of music, movies, etc. They take priority over people who give it away for free. Still, those that give and take free downloads still get caught sometimes, but it's quite rare. If you did get caught, they would likely insist that you pay damages. (i.e. the estimated cost of each song sale multiplied by the number of downloads)

It's probably more dangerous to drive in the rain than to do what you're thinking of doing.

None.

Dec 17 2007, 12:19 am sharf Post #3

mmm yea... what I thought, again, I give full credit, and especialy in newer episodes(voice overs less music) it wont be as bad, I probably give more publicity :/ there are so many more people doing worse things....If I get taken down, then that means everyone else does....

Thanks

None.

Dec 17 2007, 6:13 am ShadowFlare Post #4

Also, depending on where you live, especially use of short clips of music and not whole songs for what you are planning to use it in may be covered under "fair use" so it may be legal, as long as you are not charging for it.

None.

Dec 18 2007, 9:44 am Kellimus Post #5

Doodan is right about the music thing...

If you have a clip under 30 seconds (I believe thats the amount they give you) you're in the clear. But anything longer than that, you can get in trouble..

None.

Options
  Back to forum