Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Creating a 'Hop' Ability
Creating a 'Hop' Ability
Jan 15 2012, 5:40 pm
By: Aniketos  

Jan 15 2012, 5:40 pm Aniketos Post #1

For a UMS my friend and i are creating we require different movement abilities such as dashing and jumping over walls. I've looked into hero creation and I'm currently reading up on ability creation. What would be the best way to create an ability that is capable of jumping over walls? Is there a way for me to tell the engine how to interpret a jump? The gameplay is more or less like bomberman. We dont want people to be able to jump UP on a wall but we do want them to be able to jump over it. Any input would be really helpful. Thanks

None.

Jan 17 2012, 8:44 pm DevliN Post #2

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Hmm. You could create a dummy ability (as in an ability that has no real effect other than to activate a Trigger) that can only be used near walls (via Triggers) that will jump the unit over the wall. Otherwise you could create a jump ability, but the player would then be able to use that anywhere and theoretically target any area to land on.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jan 17 2012, 9:01 pm Ahli Post #3

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

I would do what Devlin suggested.

In addition to that, you can use a launch missile ability to launch a fake unit (missile) and hide your real unit with a buff. You would trigger that ability using the order action in the trigger editor.

You would need:
-missile that looks like the unit
-behavior that hides the caster
-ability
-starting set:
---effect that launches missile
---apply that hide buff to caster
-ending set:
---teleport with range 500 to force placement at target point
---removal of the hide buff from the caster to make him visible again
-launch effect that uses your missile, starting effect and hit effect.
-actors like every other missile launch has.

In the end it would look like the leap skill in my diablo map.

Jan 31 2012, 5:28 pm Aniketos Post #4

Hmm. Is there a way I could completely prevent the unit from ever being on top of a wall? Can I use regions to do that?

None.

Options
  Back to forum