Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: .<~*Temple Ramp*~>.
.<~*Temple Ramp*~>.
Sep 1 2007, 9:10 pm
By: Jello-Jigglers  

Sep 1 2007, 9:10 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #1

This is something I've been messing around with and I would like your opinion, yes YOU! So say what you like and what you don't :) A rating woud be nice too :lol:

Info:
----
-Fully functional ramp
-Narrowed down to 1 sprite
-Plenty of custom transitions
-W/O doodads(but i could add some if you would like :) )
-Perfect Fog of War and vision setup
----

Editor:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee21/Jello-Jigglers/Jungle/TempleRampeditor.png

In-Game:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee21/Jello-Jigglers/Jungle/TempleRamp.png

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 18 2007, 3:35 am by Jello-Jigglers.

None.

Sep 1 2007, 9:38 pm Falkoner Post #2

Pretty basic.. Nothing really new to me, but I still like how it looks.

None.

Sep 1 2007, 11:00 pm RoryFenrir Post #3

try a backwords ramp with that? and isnt the thing to the right a big doodad?

None.

Sep 1 2007, 11:03 pm Falkoner Post #4

Yes, I didn't realize that Rory, the entire top of that doodad doesn't have to blend because it is a sprite.

None.

Sep 2 2007, 12:00 am RoryFenrir Post #5

not that i care but isnt there elevation problems? Shoudlnt the cliff on the right be twice as high?

None.

Sep 2 2007, 12:05 am Falkoner Post #6

Only on the right side, but yes.

None.

Sep 2 2007, 1:34 am purple100 Post #7

Not bad. It's very clean looking, even if there are some elevation issues.

None.

Sep 2 2007, 2:43 am Zell. Post #8

hmm if you could blend it without sprites that would be really nice. I don't think ive seen a temple/ramp before.

None.

Sep 2 2007, 4:50 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #9

@ Falk: It isn't a sprite, its tiles :)
@ Rory: It could be a doodad but i just used the tiles.
@ Purple and Rory: Well I think the left side of the temple looks like it's burred under part of the ramp don't you? And it is just supposed to be covering the cliffside, not replacing it. If i were to continue the right cliffside passed the temple it would still be a single level if you know what i mean :)

Any ratings??? lol!

None.

Sep 8 2007, 6:54 pm Rawr Post #10

There's something that some of you will never understand... Often times there aren't elevation problems in maps but people tend to believe that there are because it doesn't go through your heads that there might be a hill in the terrain but at our perspective we just can't see it. :/ (I'm not saying this map doesn't have elevation problems, seeing as I can't see the entire map but only just a small ss) If you take a moment to look at the quick little .bmp i made, you'll see what it'd look like from more of a side view of the terrain. What I'm getting at is that there really aren't as many elevation problems as there are lead to believe. ;[

Attachments:
Perspective.bmp
Hits: 10 Size: 576.05kb

None.

Sep 8 2007, 6:59 pm blacklight28 Post #11

I dont get it...

None.

Sep 8 2007, 8:38 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #12

Haha well this is kinda old news but I'm glad someone is on my side and isn't always trying to beat me down. :)

None.

Sep 8 2007, 11:49 pm Falkoner Post #13

There's something that some of you will never understand... Often times there aren't elevation problems in maps but people tend to believe that there are because it doesn't go through your heads that there might be a hill in the terrain but at our perspective we just can't see it. :/ (I'm not saying this map doesn't have elevation problems, seeing as I can't see the entire map but only just a small ss) If you take a moment to look at the quick little .bmp i made, you'll see what it'd look like from more of a side view of the terrain. What I'm getting at is that there really aren't as many elevation problems as there are lead to believe. ;[

Yes, I know that people try to make things look like hills, but often terrainers will make the hills so rapid it looks odd, and Starcraft has hill pieces that can be used if you are going for a hill look, because if those tiles aren't used it looks really flat, here's an example of how a hill should look:

If people made it look something like that when they were trying to make a hill, maybe I would believe it, but the way they do it looks unnatural, and often when you DO use proper terrain height you will find that in the end it looks a lot better and comes out with a much more terrainy feel.

None.

Sep 9 2007, 2:09 am Zell. Post #14

Quote from Falkoner

Yes, I know that people try to make things look like hills, but often terrainers will make the hills so rapid it looks odd, and Starcraft has hill pieces that can be used if you are going for a hill look, because if those tiles aren't used it looks really flat, here's an example of how a hill should look:

If people made it look something like that when they were trying to make a hill, maybe I would believe it, but the way they do it looks unnatural, and often when you DO use proper terrain height you will find that in the end it looks a lot better and comes out with a much more terrainy feel.
Very good research Falkoner. +1 respect point. I'd like to see you try tougher terrain ideas. Your ideas are too basic. Reach for the stars. Pretend you can almost touch them.

None.

Sep 9 2007, 2:45 am Jello-Jigglers Post #15

Little do you know I can touch them :omfg:

None.

Sep 9 2007, 2:58 am Fallen Post #16

Zell you are being little cocky, and no i disagree almost completly i have seen hills that are so much better then that. And hills should not be using that type near cliffs, becuase it looks unnartural.

None.

Sep 9 2007, 3:05 am Jello-Jigglers Post #17

I think he was just referring to the slopes, but we....

None.

Sep 9 2007, 3:52 am Zell. Post #18

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
I think he was just referring to the slopes, but we....
I didn't think I'd have to explain that.

This is the proper thing to say:

No I think that looks unnatural, look at this screen shot it shows a better hill [screenie] Agreed? If you want to know cocky, talk to WoodenFire. The fact that you said I was cocky screams ignorance or immaturity. The sooner you accept it the sooner you can get over it and apologize :) to stay on topic...

Hows the hill going Jelly-Jiggly?

None.

Sep 9 2007, 4:28 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #19

Well I've kind of abandoned the project because I seemed to get no approval and it appeared everyone was just complaining so it didn't seem worth it... But I think that is about as good as I can get it anyways...

None.

Options
  Back to forum