Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: Battlefield 3 versus Modern Warfare 3?
Battlefield 3 versus Modern Warfare 3?
Aug 24 2011, 4:20 pm
By: x-EnAlex  

Sep 4 2011, 2:17 am KrayZee Post #21

Modern Warfare 3 will feature a subscription service called "Elite". This service allows players to pay a monthly service of $49.99 per year. Infinity Ward/Acitvision announced that there will be four map packs, each likely to cost at least $15, or 1200 Microsoft Points. All four map packs will cost $60, which is the price of a newly released video game. Activision and Infinity Ward gave players an impression that they are saving $10 by using this service rather than purchasing all four map packs without the service. The service will not only allow players to play on the map packs, but able to interact with other features as well. This statement of saving money sounds absolutely ludicrous.
Having four map packs equal the price of a newly released game is ridiculous, especially if the game price drops, map packs cost more than the game itself. Map packs are supposed to be additional content that are $10 in games such as Halo: Reach, Halo 3, and among other games. During the era of Halo 2, map packs were $5 or less, and even free. These content are supposed to be free in the first place, and if these "additional" content actually came with the game itself, there is literally no effect of price raise. However, due to Microsoft's intentions of pricing additional content, they are usually $5 to $10, or 400 to 800 Microsoft Points. Activision increased the price of map packs to $15 (Bobby Kotick had the nerve of suggesting to raise it further to $20 per map pack), yet the map packs have either lousy maps, or maps that are recycled such as a mere transfer from Call of Duty 4 to Modern Warfare 2, and World at War to Black Ops. The same will apply to Modern Warfare 3. The idea of giving players an impression that they are saving $10 is a blatant lie, because each map pack is $15. If, however, the map pack is traditionally $10, they are spending $10 more into the Elite service. So four map packs should cost $40, which is $10 less than the $50 per year service. Despite the fact that I despise priced map packs in the first place, and therefore should be free in the first place. Technically, players are spending $50 per year on map packs and features that are supposed to be free. Note the fact that this service is yearly, you are spending $100 in two years. If Modern Warfare 3's online community lasts for four years like Call of Duty 4, that's $200 spent. A new, inevitable Call of Duty sequel will succeed Black Ops in 2012 either by TreyArch or another developer, as each developer take turns releasing a Call of Duty game each year. As each Call of Duty is recycled and released into a full priced game, supporting an Elite system, and Hardened/Prestige Editions of the game, a lot of money will be wasted.

$50 for service featuring stat tracking and map packs for Modern Warfare 3 while Halo Waypoint, Bungie.net Stat Tracking, Battlefield, Team Fortress 2 stat tracking are free. Unbelievable. Players will also have the option to purchase the Hardened Edition of Modern Warfare 3, which is $80, and it gives players the Elite service. Not even worth it.

I am going to quote someone from the GameSpot forums.

Quote from MightyBaconX
There are so many good developers out there with unique and creative games that struggle to stay open due to average sales and people are flocking to Activsion for something like this. Have I slipped into an alternate dimension where a company can recycle the same game year after year while making money off of ludicrous marketing ploy such as this Elite thing.

I would like to dedicate this post for all the developer who put effort into their games, and not treat their fanbase like sheeps. Though gaming with eventually dwindle into never ending amount of mindless shooters, it's good to know that I have played such unique games in my life. Maybe soon the whole world will turn into sheep and maybe so will I. I don't know when that will be or when...

Baaaaaaaaa baaaaaa baaaaaaaa.

None.

Sep 8 2011, 10:07 pm x-EnAlex Post #22

I'm set for battlefield 3, Buying it first because I hear it's more for your buck.
Well, I can run it, can anyone else? :P

None.

Options
  Back to forum