Staredit Network > Forums > Media, Art, and Literature > Topic: Cardinal goes 3D.
Cardinal goes 3D.
Nov 21 2010, 1:22 am
By: NicholasBeige  
Polls
Favourite Model so far?
Favourite Model so far?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Day 1 - Jam Jar 0

0%
None.
Day 2 - Coffee Cup 0

0%
None.
Day 3 - Highlighter 1

50%
Day 4 - Watch (WIP) 1

50%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 2 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Nov 25 2010, 4:00 am NicholasBeige Post #21

Just added a new model: My Kitchen Knife... let me know what you think guys!

My Blog

None.

Nov 25 2010, 2:24 pm MadZombie Post #22

My main gripe is that the knife seems to be more like a butter knife trying to be a kitchen knife. It didn't have to be more than one object but it I think that knifes handle should seem more like it's made out of a different material. Right now I have a problem with the handle. It's a preference thing I guess but I think it's a bit too fat in an awkward area. From the side it looks great though but I think you can lower the poly count. Don't forget that being efficient is a big deal too.

I wish we had a couple more people who were also trying to learn how to model. So we could post an object and we'd have to model it and see who can do it better.

;_;

None.

Nov 25 2010, 4:04 pm NicholasBeige Post #23

Quote from MadZombie
My main gripe is that the knife seems to be more like a butter knife trying to be a kitchen knife. It didn't have to be more than one object but it I think that knifes handle should seem more like it's made out of a different material.

That is an image of the knife above, as you can see it is all made out of highly polished stainless steel and was most likely manufactured by a process of injection moulding (ie. you have a mould shaped exactly like the knife and pour liquid steel into it, let it cool and open it back up), then sharpened, polished, etc.

Edit: Also, just realised that the image I showed is of the smallest knife in the set, about 6.5 inches (15 centimetres) long. The detail on the bottom part where the handle meets the blade is different on the knife I modelled, which is 16 inches long (40 centimetres).

Quote from MadZombie
Right now I have a problem with the handle. It's a preference thing I guess but I think it's a bit too fat in an awkward area. From the side it looks great though but I think you can lower the poly count. Don't forget that being efficient is a big deal too.

I couldn't find an image of the knife from a side or front view, but the handle shape is very complex. I agree, that the top view gives a misrepresentation of the actual 3D object.

As for efficiency and the poly count, this model only has 668 polygons. I know, I know, I should've made Satans Blade and made it 666. But meh.

Anyway, <1000 poly's is considered low, <400 is considered extremely low. Anthing higher than 10,000 is considered high. To try and put this into perspective for you:

A Zergling has 900 poly's. This fluctuates between 900 and I think 250 depending on graphics settings. I play on ultra and have no problem with hundreds of zerglings running around my screen, getting blown up, shadows, lighting etc... So, for a knife of this detail (in a way) to have only <700 poly's, it is a high poly model of a knife. In comparison the the little zergling which has 2 claws, four legs, 2 antennae claws, a tail and 2 wings etc..

Let me try and explain this:

Those red highlighted bits (paint ftw) are what make the top view of the knife seem bulky. As you can see towards the middle and end of the handle section, the red bits are relatively small.

All in all, I think there are quite a few inaccuracies with the model, but they are minor and changing them would take lots of time and add very little overall progression or detail (ie. improvement) to the look of the end product.

I could have improved this by modelling half the side and using a symmetry modifier (which just mirrors what you have on the one side to the other), that way it would be completely symmetrical (as it is in real life). Also, making the blade sharper would have been a nice touch. The Turbosmooth modifier does an okay job, but lacks clear definition.

Quote from MadZombie
I wish we had a couple more people who were also trying to learn how to model. So we could post an object and we'd have to model it and see who can do it better.

And yeah, that would be cool... but who can afford a $4,500 (£3,200) piece of software for a hobby these days? :P

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 25 2010, 4:39 pm by Cardinal.

None.

Nov 25 2010, 6:10 pm MadZombie Post #24

ah. I'm so used to seeing butter knifes as a mold/one piece sort of thing. I guess I should really take a crack at first before I even say anything. I think I'll try modeling a knife in blender*. About the poly count, I guess I also don't know what kind of priority this object gets either. If this object where the only object for a simple photo realistic shot of a knife on say a table in the void of space then yea, your poly budget is limitless. I just have a habit of assuming things like the knife being a misc. item in some game. I guess it's because I have a crap computer that my poly count preference will always be of what a 2006 pre built DELL could handle ;_;

Quote from *
but who can afford a $4,500 (£3,200) piece of software for a hobby these days?

None.

Nov 26 2010, 3:39 am IskatuMesk Post #25

Lord of the Locker Room

I hear that Blender can be good for some misc stuff like UV mapping but personally I've yet to see any reason to use it other than 3ds max for actual production. The interface drives me nuts.

Also I'm "trying" to learn modeling I guess but it's hard with my disabilities.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Nov 26 2010, 3:43 am Apos Post #26

I order you to forgive yourself!

Quote from IskatuMesk
Also I'm "trying" to learn modeling I guess but it's hard with my disabilities.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

This should probably help you to get started. It's starts with a couple basic tutorials. If there are parts of a tutorial that don't seem to make sense for you, just skip it and come back to it later.

Nov 26 2010, 3:46 am IskatuMesk Post #27

Lord of the Locker Room

I use 3ds max. I have a lot of resources at my disposal. My disabilities prevent me from learning things. So I'm stuck at a evolutionary dead-end mentally.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Nov 26 2010, 4:37 am NicholasBeige Post #28

Blender is good. But if you have the time and patience download a cracked version of 3D Studio Max and play with the real toys. Or, become a student and buy a fully functioning legitimate version for 5% of the normal retail price. Around $150 I think.

None.

Options
  Back to forum