Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Melee > Topic: Your best/favorite race and strategies
Your best/favorite race and strategies
May 17 2010, 10:23 am
By: MillenniumArmy  

May 17 2010, 10:23 am MillenniumArmy Post #1

Figured I might make one of these topics.

I just got SC2 beta a few days ago and Terran is the ONLY race i've touched so far. All of my games have been with Terran. I figured that I might as well get pro/decent with one race before moving on to the next.

Again I just started playing so my builds/strategies are sporadic. Reaper rushing is my favorite Terran strategy, but it only works against sub par opponents.

I guess the core to any attack group I send is the M+M+M. If I have time, I throw in some siege tanks and vikings. Heliums too if I'm against zerg early to mid game.

Against protoss, I scan their base to see what they're doing. If I see stargates early, then I know they're coming in with void rays so I mass turrets in my base. I've been owned way too many times by trying to reaper rush and then seeing them get decimated by void rays. I like to go Marauders, tanks, vikings, and medivacs against toss.

Against zerg, I scan their base for roaches. If I don't see any, then I try to reaper rush. Otherwise, I just mass M+M+M and heliums.

Now against other terrans, it really depends. I never try to replicate my opponent's strategies so if they beat me to M+M+M I go banshees and vikings and do special ops like harassing their workers.

I've never played zerg or toss yet. But i'd like to hear some of you ppl's strategies/tips/etc.

None.

May 17 2010, 6:06 pm ImagoDeo Post #2

http://www.staredit.net/topic/10774/

That. Of course, that strategy was written for 1v1 and the huge success I've seen with it is in 2v2, so I don't know if you'll be able to use it properly.

I mostly play Protoss. I'm not very good at Zerg and Terran, not sure which I'm worst at out of those two though. It's odd because in SC1 I was solidly Zerg. Essentially in 2v2s as Toss, you have several tricks up your sleeves that you can abuse wholeheartedly - the main one is Void Ray rushing. Keep in mind that Void Ray rushing doesn't work nearly so well if your opponents scout it, or if they 7pool or something cheesy like that. In those kinds of situations, you're best off with a solid build like the fast robo described above. I never rush because it puts me too far behind. So far out of the multitude of strategies me and my 2v2 partner have tried, we've found a few that work. The main one is when he goes reapers and harasses until I get enough immortals for a push. We've won quite a few games that way. He transitions into vikings/banshees after the reaper harass is over. Occasionally I'll go void rays, in which case he'll pull reaper harass and then wall off with tanks and builds an army of thors and hellions. If you ever go void rays, get a fleet beacon very soon for two reasons: first, you can get the Flux Vanes upgrade, which gives your void rays a huge advantage - fast enough to outrun ground units much more effectively - and second it allows you to transition straight to carriers if the void rays don't work out.

Of course, if you're solidly a terran player, all I can say is - don't spend energy on a scan when you could get a MULE unless you haven't had the opportunity to scout with an SCV or something. If you do intend to reaper harass, the nitro packs is worth it for the additional kiting proficiency. Abuse siege tanks to destroy ground pushes. If you have good enough micro and macro, ravens are so worth it. Two ravens can destroy thirty massed phoenixes/mutalisks/vikings/banshees in less than ten seconds if you use the Hunter Seeker Missile properly. They're also excellent for totally messing up M+M+M pushes - one seeker missile in the middle of the terran's ball will kill a ton of marines and will damage the marauders for 80% of their health pool. If you have a few vikings around, you can snipe the medivacs while your anti-ground forces (preferably tanks) clean up the rest of the ball.

None.

Options
  Back to forum