Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Reaver is always too close to SCV
Reaver is always too close to SCV
Nov 3 2007, 4:40 am
By: Virtual Pancake  

Nov 3 2007, 4:40 am Virtual Pancake Post #1

I am currently working on a map that I was hoping ot release last week but I am having problems.

First off let me describe whats going on. There are 2 players on a team. One player controls the SCV and the other controls the Reaver. The Reaver must AT ALL TIMES be within a certain distance of the SCV. If the SCV moves, the Reaver will move with it. But I can't figure out how to keep the Reaver a certain distance from the SCV so that the SCV could build. Another problem is that the player who controls the Reaver only has complete control of building Scarabs. If the player controling the SCV is near and enemy SCV, the player with the Reaver loses control over what he/she is attacking. Example: If the Reaver is near an enemy SCV, the Reaver will attack the SCV and ONLY the SCV.

Please if you can help me out. I wish to release this map as soon as possible.

None.

Nov 3 2007, 5:54 am enigmacat Post #2

try making a mobile grid and for the scv problem try making the scv invurnable to attacks and make the reaver have health

edit:try not having hyper triggers,then the reaver will have like somewhat lagg and that will probably be enough time to build(thats only if your teleporting)or u can have a constant trigger that ordaers the reaver to the SCV,so u know u can get away from the reaver

None.

Nov 3 2007, 10:29 am Virtual Pancake Post #3

Thats the only way? Is it possible to have chained locations or something like that? Or maybe have it so if Reaver leaves Location 1, move all reaver to Location 1?

None.

Nov 3 2007, 12:15 pm NudeRaider Post #4

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Please don't give bad advice.

The being near thing:
Add a condition into your "teleport to scv trigger" that checks if force1 brings at most 0 reaver to "scv location"

That means only if the reaver leaves the location it will be teleported. (Instead of all the time, which would be a pain to play anyways)

The attack thing:
Choosing targets by triggers is not possible.
But you can manage that the auto attacks (manual attacks still possible) are directed towards something by giving every other hostile near the reaver to a spare player that is allied with all players.
The problem here is if there are more than 1 enemy players near it gets tricky to track which unit to give back to which player after the attack. If you need to know more about that I could help you. Just ask.
If you want to prevent auto attacks you would need hypertriggers and ally all the time.

Another method would be to temporarily make everything except the scvs invulnerable. But you have to make sure to set everything back to vulnerable after or ppl will start using bugs.

Also a general note: the reaver will hit the friendly scv too, so maybe a splash unit is the wrong choice for a team map.

Options
  Back to forum