Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: "Virtual players"
"Virtual players"
Jan 31 2010, 11:20 pm
By: Biophysicist  

Jan 31 2010, 11:20 pm Biophysicist Post #1



This is a way to create new computer player slots, with some side-effects, both useful and annoying. It relies on the fact that Giving a unit to a player above P8 does not clear the unit's orders. Here's how it works:

1) Spawn your units for some player and give them to P9.
2) Center a location on a P9 unit and Give it to P10. Do whatever you need to with that unit.
3) Repeat step 2 until P9 has no units.
4) Give all P10 units to P9.

You should probably put a bunch of copies of the step 2 trigger in each trigger cycle.

The main advantage of this system is that you can have more computers in your map. You can also cycle through the computer units without clearing their orders, which lets you create spellcasting or microing enemies in an RPG/AoS, for example. The main drawbacks are that the units will not attack (you have to spawn a cloaked unit for a "normal" player to attack for them) and that human units will not auto-attack the "extended player" units (as far as I know).

This, combined with my attack casting system, are being used in an upcumming RPG, which will demonstrate how powerful this system can be if you're clever.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 31 2010, 11:33 pm by TassadarZeratul. Reason: inb4norm or kk or ex trolling



None.

Feb 1 2010, 10:26 pm The Starport Post #2



Yeah I thought it was sorta clever at the time, too.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: RIVE