Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Classes!
Classes!
Sep 16 2007, 1:12 am
By: yenku
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Sep 20 2007, 10:06 pm MrrLL Post #21

Uhh.. CP stands for college prep in our school.

CP English
CP US Gov't and Economics
Pre-Calculus
Spanish IV
C++ Programming I and II
Advanced Web Design

There are like 180 kids in our grade, and only the top twenty take AP/Accelerated. I'm not reading 6 books over the summer just to take advanced classes.

None.

Sep 27 2007, 3:06 am Kow Post #22

Quote from Kow
I got 4 actual classes (and an AP Seminar and lunch, so 6 periods)

AP Comp Sci (Damn Java)
AP English
AP World
Academic Pre-Calc (Wouldn't lemme switch into honors by the time I realised how freaking easy this crap is)

I'm taking Pre-calc because it looks good to colleges, as well as I know I'll be taking higher math in college, therefore I need a base knowledge upon which to build what I learn. I don't really like the teacher (too much energy, while that's a good thing, not in her case), but I'm taking it anyway and it's an easy grade.

I'm just mad that Honors isn't weighted like AP is in the GPA (AP = grade *1.15, so that 80* counts as a hundred in your GPA), because other than that I
hate.... I'll finish this later. Bell rang
... how I take honors and it's more difficult, but it's counted as a regular grade. I might as well have taken a regular course!

None.

Sep 28 2007, 12:45 am Money Post #23

Quote from Kow
... how I take honors and it's more difficult, but it's counted as a regular grade. I might as well have taken a regular course!

Learning = love!

None.

Sep 28 2007, 1:53 am Kow Post #24

Meh. I wish I'd actually learn in school. I never do for anything but my ap classes.

None.

Oct 31 2007, 4:33 am Wehrmarx Post #25

PAP Calc
French 3
Junior ROTC 3
Physics
US Govt. / Econ.
English III
Buisness Communication Applications 1

None.

Oct 31 2007, 10:15 pm Kellimus Post #26

Quote from Merrell
Uhh.. CP stands for college prep in our school.

CP English
CP US Gov't and Economics
Pre-Calculus
Spanish IV
C++ Programming I and II
Advanced Web Design

There are like 180 kids in our grade, and only the top twenty take AP/Accelerated. I'm not reading 6 books over the summer just to take advanced classes.

C++ Programming I and II? Man, your school is behind in the programming aspect.. :P

None.

Nov 1 2007, 6:51 pm MillenniumArmy Post #27

Lol, I wish my highschool even had c++ programming...

We only have Computer Science 1 and 2, and we used Java. Bleh

None.

Nov 1 2007, 6:57 pm Kow Post #28

Mine has only Java and VB too :(

None.

Nov 1 2007, 9:52 pm Kellimus Post #29

Quote from MillenniumArmy
Lol, I wish my highschool even had c++ programming...

We only have Computer Science 1 and 2, and we used Java. Bleh

I wish my high school had Computer Science...

I had to take a course in "Advanced Computer Studies" in order for me to learn C++

My high school had Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 that came with a book called: "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days"

I haven't even finished the book yet, lmao

None.

Nov 16 2007, 4:25 am yenku Post #30

I am now on fall break. We start the second trimester a week from monday.

I got new electives:

-Forensics (science)
-Civics + Activism (social study)
-Search for Enlightenment (english)
Incase you don't feel like looking back, I'm also taking
-AP Environmental Science
-AP Government and Politics

None.

Nov 16 2007, 4:42 pm Fire_Kame Post #31

wth is starcraft

Honestly, if you get an A in 'Western Civilization' over a C in AP Western Civ, you should just stay in the regular class. AP classes are a waste of time. 75% of college freshmen change colleges after their first year. This means a few things. First, even though you had guaranteed credit for your AP class that first year, the second year they may change their mind. It really screwed up my sister's transcript, she had to take her freshmen classes her sophmore year when she switched schools. If you're taking AP classes to 'prove' your intellect, that's stupid. Get high ACT or SAT scores. I very barely passed World Lit my senior year, but my reading grade on the ACTs was a 33 (97th percentile) so they were able to look over it, or, during the interview we discussed the class.

In the end, when you get into college no one is going to care that you took AP or college level classes. I really believe AP or Honor classes, unless its something you're genuinely interested in, hinders a transcript immensely. I'll advocate maybe one or two AP classes (for example, someone interested in majoring in physics takes AP Physics and AP Calc), but why are you taking AP US History if you want to go into Biology? Like Yenku said, its almost more important to have a well balanced class load that show's you're a rounded person, or at least extra curricular activities that fake it. Here's a tip: join student government. That is a stellar way to look well rounded. Colleges love applications that look like they'll make good leaders.

Nov 16 2007, 8:00 pm Dapperdan Post #32

In the end, when you get into college no one is going to care that you took AP or college level classes. I really believe AP or Honor classes, unless its something you're genuinely interested in, hinders a transcript immensely. I'll advocate maybe one or two AP classes (for example, someone interested in majoring in physics takes AP Physics and AP Calc), but why are you taking AP US History if you want to go into Biology? Like Yenku said, its almost more important to have a well balanced class load that show's you're a rounded person, or at least extra curricular activities that fake it. Here's a tip: join student government. That is a stellar way to look well rounded. Colleges love applications that look like they'll make good leaders.

Although I've already posted here and basically agreed with you and yenku, I have a point I want to add. My Level 4/Ap Classes are my most interesting classes. The jump in intellectual conversations is awesome. In my Level 4 Chemistry Class, we'll end up having off-topic discussions about all kinds of things and it is really intruguing. The ability to be with other students all of your level is really fun. The higher level my class, the more I laugh and have a good time in it. The teachers give level 4 kids a little more of a leash, because they are able to, and it is great. Just proposing another side of the arguement.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 18 2007, 10:32 pm by Dapperdan.

None.

Nov 16 2007, 8:52 pm Demented Shaman Post #33

I AGREE WITH YENKU, NO POINT IN DOING BORING STUFF LIKE EVEN GOING TO SCHOOL IF YOU'RE JUST GONNA PUMP GAS FOR A LIVING.

SO YENKU YOU GONNA BE A GAS PUMPER?

None.

Nov 18 2007, 9:53 pm Fire_Kame Post #34

wth is starcraft

Dapperdan, that is why I decided to take Japanese 211 from a local community college over the local high school. The level of interest, and the discussion was quite a bit more intellegent and thrilling. On that level, I fully advocate doing what you think is fun. I'm just warning the ones who fall into that anxiety attack seniors get for taking classes that are genuinely too hard for them.

Nov 18 2007, 10:25 pm Esponeo Post #35

I started college with 30 credits in the bag from AP courses. That's basically a whole year of college for $640 (8 exams * 80 dollars a test). Not to mention the fact that those classes were a hell of a lot of fun in High School with friends and what not as opposed to boring ~150 person general education lectures in college.

Yep, that was a total fucking waste of my time.

None.

Nov 18 2007, 10:26 pm Esponeo Post #36

If you'd read his other posts you'd know his destination is a maximum security prison.

None.

Nov 19 2007, 12:32 am Demented Shaman Post #37

Quote from Esponeo
If you'd read his other posts you'd know his destination is a maximum security prison.
Oh yea. LULZ I FORGOT HE'S AN ECO-TERRORIST!

None.

Nov 19 2007, 12:37 am Hynk Post #38

I kind of hate math, even though I'm good at it. I also do find it quite pointless cause I don't really see when I'd really need this, but nonetheless I still have to bust my ass in it so I can get into the university program I want to... currently I'm taking...
AP Biology Part I
AP Chemisty Part I
Physics
Functions & Relations
Live Communications Technology
Computer Programming I
Canadian and International Law. <-- We're required to have Social Science credit in Grade 11 so I picked this one.
The ones in bold is one I didn't get to pick, though I would have chosen Functions anyway. I find it kind of lame that universities in Canada don't weigh AP courses differently... nor do they really care that you took AP. But it does count as a first year university credit.

None.

Nov 19 2007, 4:51 am cheeze Post #39

Quote from Esponeo
I started college with 30 credits in the bag from AP courses. That's basically a whole year of college for $640 (8 exams * 80 dollars a test). Not to mention the fact that those classes were a hell of a lot of fun in High School with friends and what not as opposed to boring ~150 person general education lectures in college.

Hell yeah. Advanced Placement tests ftw. :D
I only had 25 though. :(

None.

Nov 19 2007, 7:55 am MillenniumArmy Post #40

Quote from cheeze
Quote from Esponeo

Hell yeah. Advanced Placement tests ftw. :D
I only had 25 though. :(
which is better than 6 xD. Not to mention that they were useless ones too :P

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum