Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Sick of waterfalls yet?
Sick of waterfalls yet?
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jul 23 2008, 6:35 am
By: Jello-Jigglers
Pages: < 1 2 3

Aug 15 2008, 5:17 am Falkoner Post #41

I don't understand you Falkoner. You seem to prefer things that are jagged, staggered, blocky, non-functional, even outright ugly over something that is smooth, sleek, leveled properly and functional if it has sprites on it.

Post something I have made that fits your description.

None.

Aug 15 2008, 12:31 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #42

I'm sorry my topic seems to have sparked a flame war.

Lock this please.

None.

Aug 15 2008, 8:26 pm StrikerX22 Post #43

People currently acting like children:
Devilesk - you deserve any harsh criticism coming your way. Why are you even here? Does proving your ass-dom make you feel more like a man?

Yam - ever heard of taste? different people have different tastes. This is DEFINITELY applicable to pseudo-terrain in SC. Some people will like some things, some won't. And if you don't mean to be mean, then don't be personal. Oh, and your signature is of very, very poor taste aesthetically, so what for are you complaining about?

I will be personal to those that are personal.

Now, as for waterfalls... Yam's looks good as a screen shot, and i see no reason why it wouldn't work with some cloaked units the same way ti does for jello's. I'm also pretty sure everyone here knows what wide waterfalls look like. But variety is nice too... I'd like to see both. Also note that one waterfall is angled, and the other is not. It all depends on your desired effect, people.

None.

Aug 15 2008, 11:54 pm stickynote Post #44

One thing I don't like about using the white sprite line thing as part of the waterfall is that it looks strange in game, mainly due to the fact that it doesn't move. What you could do to somewhat fix that, however, is put a burning and disabled protoss building where the sprite would be, and turn the fire on and off, and even though the sprite is still on top, maybe the bright blue-white will wash it out. Of course, you also should add the moving observers or wraiths, as it adds to the effect.

None.

Aug 16 2008, 2:46 am Demented Shaman Post #45

Children acting like they're mature but in reality fail:
StrikerX22

And I'm here because of the obvious hypocrisy going on with you terrainers. Now I have come to accept your extreme nitpicking and criticism of all terrain when it comes to repetition and blockiness, but at least be consistent.

I can't believe you terrainers are always complaining about BLOCKINESS and REPETITION and yet you overlook the clear blockiness and repetition in Jello's waterfall. Did you guys suddenly become blind?

One thing I've noticed though with you terrainers. Anytime someone posts something that looks good you guys say its been done before and therefore you aren't impressed. It's funny because the only time you guys are ever satisfied and say that something is "original" and "good" is when the terrain looks like shit, JUST LIKE NOW. So I guess the only way to do something that no one has ever done before is to make some really ugly terrain.

None.

Aug 16 2008, 5:37 am Impeached Post #46

It's jealousy, really. They're afraid that if they praise the person that they aren't better than them, or something to the sort.

None.

Aug 16 2008, 5:53 am JaBoK Post #47

I tend not to praise terrain. If I see something nice and original, I will praise it, even if I have in the past created something more nice and more original. In order to understand what goes on on these boards, you need to be a terrainer. If something is good and has been done, then that is the case. Most good unblocky things have been done, and in all my time terraining I can't claim to have found more than two or three good ones. So, when someone creates something new that is a little blocky, it's good, because it gives us a new idea to work around and to try to perfect. When someone posts something nice that's already been done, it gets little praise, because it does not help us find new and innovative ways to terrain. In the case of waterfalls, these have been the bane of terrainers for quite some time, so any progress is good progress, even if it is blocky.

None.

Aug 16 2008, 12:50 pm Devourer Post #48

Hello

Quote from stickynote
My waterfall.

OMG! XD

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Aug 16 2008, 1:52 pm Vi3t-X Post #49

Quote from Falkoner

My only problem with that kind of waterfall, is that is looks like a piece of crap in-game, even though it looks quite nice as a still-shot. I think waterfalls for SC in general aren't really very possible, and I think this was an okay attempt.

I assume Falkoner is implying the white stitchy square outline that surrounds the "Water" sprite.

None.

Aug 16 2008, 3:33 pm JaBoK Post #50

It's the fact that IRL waterfalls move, and doing so in SC is very hard, if not impossible, since the white sprites don't move.

None.

Aug 16 2008, 3:54 pm Falkoner Post #51

I assume Falkoner is implying the white stitchy square outline that surrounds the "Water" sprite.

Nah, I'm fine with those, in fact, depending on how you place your sprites, it makes them sorta look like mist, My problem is that the waterfall concept in general does not look good ingame, like JaBoK said, waterfalls [i]move[i/], and while you can try and make it look animated using observers and hallucination puffs, it A: Looks bad when you get Fog of War of it, since the sprites go bye-bye, and B: It still doesn't look real, I mean, the glimmers kinda morph around, rather than moving down.

None.

Aug 16 2008, 4:10 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #52

Ok seriously...

>>LOCKED

None.

Aug 22 2008, 12:55 pm Zergblender Post #53

how come no1 ever tried using disruption webs and cloaked flying buildings for a waterfall?
Might suck, might not.

I kinda agree with Devilesk on a few things:
When I first picked up terraining I saw blends that were vomit-worthy, which are nowadays very common ones.
An example being the waterfall :crazy:

Most of you, before your terraining days would have said no to all blends that surpassed a certain measure of blockyness.
Why settle for less now?

None.

Aug 22 2008, 1:54 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #54

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
Ok seriously...

>>LOCKED
Are you guys retarded?? 2x over locked. Can a mod please help??

None.

Aug 22 2008, 2:13 pm Zergblender Post #55

Yeah, I just wanted to post something cuz it wasn't really locked :P

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum