Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Customizing Computer II
Customizing Computer II
Oct 29 2007, 5:44 am
By: Echo  

Oct 31 2007, 3:50 am Echo Post #21

I might as well just buy a new computer for around 300$ (Custom Made) from local stores or ebay.

None.

Oct 31 2007, 9:15 pm ~:Deathawk:~ Post #22

NO

You're getting such a better deal this way. Good luck getting anything close to that performance.

Even the 200$ worth of upgrades that I picked would blow away any desktop ~$300..

But suit yourself, it's not my money you're wasting.

None.

Oct 31 2007, 9:16 pm Twitch Post #23

Quote from ~:Deathawk:~

NO

You're getting such a better deal this way. Good luck getting anything close to that performance.

Even the 200$ worth of upgrades that I picked would blow away any desktop ~$300..

He isn't lying about this its better to work with what you got and upgrade and fix from there.

None.

Nov 1 2007, 3:34 am Echo Post #24

Quote from Twitch

NO

He isn't lying about this its better to work with what you got and upgrade and fix from there.
Twitch what the fuck are you saying? That is exactly what deathawk said, to upgrade a computer.

None.

Nov 1 2007, 5:22 am DT_Battlekruser Post #25

Dude, you need a new processor, video card, and RAM. (just for better performance.)

And there is no way you're getting a good deal with a video card and RAM unless you buy a new motherboard. DDR RAM is very expensive, and AGP cards are more expensive than PCIe counterparts. Also, both of them are no longer supported.. You won't find any more motherboards made with DDR or AGP slots anymore.

So you need it all, including the motherboard.

CPU is processor.

It's a good deal, even at open box.. Try getting a 7600GT or a card around that performance for ~85 dollars alone... then throw in a motherboard..

Wow, I never noticed that DDR2 RAM was that much cheaper. :omfg:

Definitely worth a new mobo.

None.

Nov 1 2007, 6:08 am MasterJohnny Post #26

custom computers that you do not make yourself SUCK!
you need a new motherboard because your current one cannot handle better (and less expensive) upgrades
isnt this worth more in money (if edge can spare an extra 10)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231049

I am a Mathematician

Nov 2 2007, 12:39 am ~:Deathawk:~ Post #27

Nah, that RAM set uses Elpida PCB, if I remember correctly Elpida doesn't work very well when dealing with higher voltage or low timings.. Either way, theres really no point in fretting over RAM if you're not going to overclock anyway. However, for Value RAM, the g.skill LA's are a decent choice, I guess.

I would still stick with something basic.

But if you're assuming they're worth 10 more dollars because of the heat spreaders, then no, that's not true.

And yeah, I'm in 939-hell here.. no good upgrade paths.. I think I'll just upgrade next August or so (if I don't get a job by then..) 939 was good while it lasted, at least... 2.97ghz san diego did everything I wanted to for 70 dollars last year.. but now, it's starting to show its age :*( I feel for you DTBK.

*EDIT* Removed an extra "doesn't"

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 2 2007, 1:10 am by ~:Deathawk:~.

None.

Nov 2 2007, 1:07 am Echo Post #28

I'm going to stick with deathawks decision, he seems to know more of what he is talking about and he helped me out few months ago.

None.

Nov 2 2007, 3:48 am ShadowFlare Post #29

And yeah, I'm in 939-hell here.. no good upgrade paths.. I think I'll just upgrade next August or so (if I don't get a job by then..) 939 was good while it lasted, at least... 2.97ghz san diego did everything I wanted to for 70 dollars last year.. but now, it's starting to show its age :*( I feel for you DTBK.
If you have already bought a PCI Express video card, at least you won't need to buy another video card when you upgrade. ;)

None.

Nov 2 2007, 4:27 am SyNc Post #30

Do you know how I can find out if I have 2 ports for 2 mb ram slots?

None.

Nov 2 2007, 8:23 am MasterJohnny Post #31

Quote from SyNc
Do you know how I can find out if I have 2 ports for 2 mb ram slots?
That sentence is gibberish?
open up your computer and check how many ram slots you have? i guess thats what you mean?

I am a Mathematician

Nov 2 2007, 8:34 am BeDazed Post #32

Considering Echo's PC seems like its been over 7-8 years old in model, you should overhaul your computer starting from the power, and motherboard. Its time to upgrade, you can't deny it.

None.

Nov 3 2007, 12:51 am ~:Deathawk:~ Post #33

Quote from ShadowFlare
If you have already bought a PCI Express video card, at least you won't need to buy another video card when you upgrade. ;)
That's true, but by the time I get around to upgrading, I'm guessing I'll want a new video card too. :P I still <3's my 7900gs though.

None.

Nov 4 2007, 12:14 am Echo Post #34

Tell me if this is a good computer.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-N7400 Pro ATX AMD Socket A motherboard (original with more overclocking settings than the pro 2 version, but I never overclocked it). This is the same board as the amazing GA-7NNXP, except that it doesn't have the extra regulator module. It has the Nvidia Nforce2 ultra400 dual channel DDR chipset w/ 4xDDR DIMM slots, AGP8x, 5 PCI, 4x IDE UDMA / ultra-ATA 133 (8 devices, 4 as RAID) 2x SATA RAID, dual BIOS, 2xFirewire 1394 ports, 6xUSB2.0 (4 on back panel), 10/100 LAN, Sound w/ SPDIF I/O and Toslink digital audio out, much more!
Manufacturer information page
CPU: Athlon XP 2600+ CPU w/ heatsink/fan installed with Arctic Silver premium thermal compound
Memory: 1GB of Kingston dual channel PC-2700 DDR RAM
Case: Mid-tower blue/silver ATX case w/ front USB and audio ports, 300W Codegen PSU, 4 external 5.25" bays, 2 external 3.5" bays, and 4 internal 3.5" bays
Optical drive: DVD-ROM drive!
Video card: PCI video card with VGA out, see above for AGP video card upgrades
Hard disk drive: 20GB hard drive to hold you over until you can install a large hard drive or RAID of your choice.

None.

Nov 4 2007, 3:59 am DT_Battlekruser Post #35

Quote from EcHo
Tell me if this is a good computer.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-N7400 Pro ATX AMD Socket A motherboard (original with more overclocking settings than the pro 2 version, but I never overclocked it). This is the same board as the amazing GA-7NNXP, except that it doesn't have the extra regulator module. It has the Nvidia Nforce2 ultra400 dual channel DDR chipset w/ 4xDDR DIMM slots, AGP8x, 5 PCI, 4x IDE UDMA / ultra-ATA 133 (8 devices, 4 as RAID) 2x SATA RAID, dual BIOS, 2xFirewire 1394 ports, 6xUSB2.0 (4 on back panel), 10/100 LAN, Sound w/ SPDIF I/O and Toslink digital audio out, much more!
Manufacturer information page
CPU: Athlon XP 2600+ CPU w/ heatsink/fan installed with Arctic Silver premium thermal compound
Memory: 1GB of Kingston dual channel PC-2700 DDR RAM
Case: Mid-tower blue/silver ATX case w/ front USB and audio ports, 300W Codegen PSU, 4 external 5.25" bays, 2 external 3.5" bays, and 4 internal 3.5" bays
Optical drive: DVD-ROM drive!
Video card: PCI video card with VGA out, see above for AGP video card upgrades
Hard disk drive: 20GB hard drive to hold you over until you can install a large hard drive or RAID of your choice.

I'm assuming this is a computer you've had for a while.. define 'good'.

It's not something I would stick money into, though, you're back on DDR and socket A. It's a bit like me in 939-hell like Deathawk, except my computer has better specs (7900GT, 2GB RAM, and san diego 4000+)

None.

Nov 4 2007, 4:23 am ~:Deathawk:~ Post #36

lol, DTBK, I think you may even be giving that computer too much credit. I wouldn't consider it anything close to good.

I guess it gets basic tasks done well though..

None.

Nov 4 2007, 8:14 am DT_Battlekruser Post #37

I'm only giving it credit since it was probably good way back when he got it.

None.

Options
  Back to forum