Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Idea: Professional Accounts
Idea: Professional Accounts
Sep 9 2008, 4:32 am
By: Hercanic  

Sep 10 2008, 11:24 pm Fyrinite Post #21

Quote from name:DiscipleOfAdun
Pure text copies are hard, especially when I forget to order them properly or date them.

I already said why I don't like doing that. :P If it really comes down to it, I do that though. I just know I've lost things that way before. But since I've been able to get more space recently, things haven't been a problem.

None.

Sep 11 2008, 1:14 am bajadulce Post #22

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. It appears that pm space is regulated by your mineral status? Which in turn reflects how active you are here? Or how lucky you are at games? I would agree with Hercanic in that special users warrant added perks without being a moderator. DofA, ShadowFlare, O)Farty, BroodKiller, Hemidal, SI, poiuy_qwert and other programmers should be allowed this extra pm space for them to discuss particularities of their programs outside of the public forums. But maybe I'm not getting the whole picture.

Any whoo... If any developer needs some mineralz to increase their pm box, don't hesitate to ask. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with mine.

None.

Sep 11 2008, 1:22 am Demented Shaman Post #23

Quote from bajadulce
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. It appears that pm space is regulated by your mineral status? Which in turn reflects how active you are here? Or how lucky you are at games? I would agree with Hercanic in that special users warrant added perks without being a moderator. DofA, ShadowFlare, O)Farty, BroodKiller, Hemidal, SI, poiuy_qwert and other programmers should be allowed this extra pm space for them to discuss particularities of their programs outside of the public forums. But maybe I'm not getting the whole picture.

Any whoo... If any developer needs some mineralz to increase their pm box, don't hesitate to ask. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with mine.
Minerals only allow one to increase their PM space if they buy the item.
http://www.staredit.net/?p=store

I don't think we should just give away extra PM space just because someone is a developer because I doubt anyone really needs extra space. It should be dealt with on a case by case basis and I think the need for more PM space is a rare problem with DoA being one of the only people.

There's probably many more regular members who would need more PM space than developers because some people just PM more. I've hit the limit a couple times, but I just delete the older PMs I have.

If anything I think the default PM space given to each member should be lowered and then increased upon request if the person has shown they are actually active with PMs.

Anyway, giving extra space to developers is really trivial and probably isn't much work at all so it doesn't really matter. However, I'm sure creating a special group for them would be more work and it's unnecessary if the only thing you're going to do is give them more PM space.

So just give more PM space if it's actually need, but don't bother with "professional accounts" unless there are some more actual privileges that can be given out.

On on the question of what types of privileges can be given to developers I think the only people that should answer are the developers themselves. Instead of people who aren't developers just speculating about what developers might need, the developers should just tell the administration what privileges they might want that would facilitate their developing.

It seems like the idea of "professional" accounts is just a mountain made out of a molehill by Hercanic without actual feedback from DoA. Hercanic is turning a simple PM space issue into a whole thing about new account groups and privileges when I haven't seen any developers commenting on anything other than just PM space. Basically, before anything more gets done other than just increasing PM space let's hear from the developers to see if they actually would want/need anything else.

Before bringing up the questions of privileges and a developers group to the entire community in a topic such as this I think it should have been privately discussed with some other developers so that a more detailed proposal could be brought up. I don't think posing the question to the entire community would really focus on what the developers' needs.

I'm sure the question of fairness and equality could be brought to the community's attention, but the community can't really make a decision if the proposal right now is so vague. The privileges that a special user would get aren't even defined or thought up yet so how can one expect the community to make a good judgment on it. For example, if the developers got things like increased PM space I wouldn't have a problem with a new group, but if you're going to give them admin-like privileges that they wouldn't need at all then I'd be against it. Right now the idea is not developed enough to even discuss "fairness".

Sure we could always look ahead and discuss issues of fairness beforehand, but it would be much better organized if we took it step by step and actually formulated the details of a new group first.

And I don't think you should wait and see if the initial idea is "well received" before going into specifics, unless you would say that being "open minded and waiting for more specifics" is a well reception. Views could change rapidly depending on what the specifics are. If someone initially receives the idea well, but then is strongly against it once it's been developed then I think they were initially deceived, or at the very least the idea was brought up too prematurely to get an accurate judgment from someone.

Post has been edited 8 time(s), last time on Sep 11 2008, 1:46 am by Mayor.

None.

Sep 11 2008, 1:38 am Moose Post #24

We live in a society.

Quote from bajadulce
I would agree with Hercanic in that special users warrant added perks without being a moderator.
Quote from Mini Moose 2707
I don't need more PM space... why do they?
:P
You can logically infer from my post that such perks do not exist.

Sep 11 2008, 2:13 am bajadulce Post #25

No perks such as larger PM box or upload space for admin? Well shows how little I really know about this forum. I've never been part of any admin to any forum other than my small little tiny corner of the SC community, so I really don't have a clue as to what goes on at these mega sites so I'll just shut up now.

Develisk's suggestion that those members that need additional space might be able to request review from admin seems reasonable. I wish there was a way to display the topic's posts while replying. He had other notable things to comment on as well. I guess I could always open a new window.

None.

Oct 15 2008, 12:23 pm Forsaken Archer Post #26

This idea has always been planned from the second I decided member groups were stupid (so much text wasted talking about it though, lol).

None.

Oct 15 2008, 10:23 pm Falkoner Post #27

Yes, Falkoner. His emails are taking up all his PM space.

I was implying that maybe he has the same habits with his PMs, he doesn't clean up old ones.

None.

Options
  Back to forum