Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Melee Discussion & Strategy > Topic: Multi-levelled melee maps?
Multi-levelled melee maps?
Feb 12 2010, 4:37 pm
By: Aristocrat  

Feb 12 2010, 4:37 pm Aristocrat Post #1

I figured out how to make more than one cliff level in the jungle tileset, as pictured below:

Would this setup be an interesting twist for melee maps? e.g. Main on level 3, natural on level 2 with wide ramp leading to ground level, etc. This also allows the creation of "pyramids" and such in UMS campaigns by repeatedly stacking cliffs.

None.

Feb 12 2010, 5:06 pm samsizzle Post #2

Its great that you figured this out, but i assure you its nothing new.

None.

Feb 12 2010, 6:57 pm OlimarandLouie Post #3

Terran would have an advantage on this type map whether it was a pyramid or a ravine.

None.

Feb 12 2010, 7:31 pm Excalibur Post #4

The sword and the faith

Since SC only recognizes two height levels, and melee is about balance and strategy, not being showy, it would be useless. Its been done before, and it adds nothing to gameplay that you couldn't do with normal ISOM.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Feb 13 2010, 4:08 am Koltz Post #5

it actually adds a ton to gameplay, lol
and im not talking about hit % on higher terrain

None.

Feb 13 2010, 2:02 pm Aristocrat Post #6

Quote from name:Sexcalibear
Since SC only recognizes two height levels, and melee is about balance and strategy, not being showy, it would be useless. Its been done before, and it adds nothing to gameplay that you couldn't do with normal ISOM.

Dude, starcraft has THREE height levels. Why else do we have "low ground", "mid ground", and "high ground"? It's how hit% is computed firing from high dirt to high basilica, or high jungle to high temple. That's irrelevant though.

The natural ramp makes FE forge walling and terran walling decidedly more difficult, and contains easier to break unless situated at natural.

None.

Feb 13 2010, 3:00 pm Excalibur Post #7

The sword and the faith

Quote from name:doomedrusher

Dude, starcraft has THREE height levels. Why else do we have "low ground", "mid ground", and "high ground"? It's how hit% is computed firing from high dirt to high basilica, or high jungle to high temple. That's irrelevant though.

The natural ramp makes FE forge walling and terran walling decidedly more difficult, and contains easier to break unless situated at natural.
Sorry your right, there is high/mid/low. But since we only usually use high/mid, its easy to forget.

My point being you can create the illusion of more layers as much as you like, it really doesn't do anything except visual effect, and I think in melee that should be a bit more downplayed than it is. Decoration is nice, but you can polish a shit map all you like, you're still just polishing shit. :P

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Feb 13 2010, 5:34 pm Aristocrat Post #8

Decoration is nice, but you can polish a shit map all you like, you're still just polishing shit. :P

QFT.

The only way that knowing these terrain levels might help is to give raised jungle/sunken ground different terrain heights so that vision/hit% actually applies to them.

None.

Feb 13 2010, 9:10 pm Doodle77 Post #9

Quote from name:doomedrusher
Would this setup be an interesting twist for melee maps? e.g. Main on level 3, natural on level 2 with wide ramp leading to ground level, etc. This also allows the creation of "pyramids" and such in UMS campaigns by repeatedly stacking cliffs.
The main problem with this is that there will be a sudden transition from high grass to grass, which have different elevations, so if you're on one side of the grass attacking the other you'll have a miss chance that won't make any sense.

None.

Feb 13 2010, 10:55 pm BeDazed Post #10

I personally don't think elevation would matter as long as vision gets limited.

None.

Options
  Back to forum