Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Moar Crashes!
Moar Crashes!
Jan 5 2010, 5:58 am
By: fat_flying_pigs  

Jan 5 2010, 5:58 am fat_flying_pigs Post #1

Recently, while searching for a game to join, found a game called "Zynastors Crash RPG". When I joined the game, I immediately crashed. I did not go to the lobby (i don't think; no visuals), I just crashed.

Some people in op SEN briefly explained it, but I'm still confused. (they said something about stacked strings after the game title [buffer overflow?]) Exactly what made me crash?

None.

Jan 5 2010, 6:05 am Falkoner Post #2

You actually crashed when you clicked the map at all on the list, because the title of the map overflowed the maximum through some hack, it's not the map doing it, SC wouldn't be able to host such a map, it's a hack modifying the name after it's hosted, and so when you click it you crash due to the long map name.

None.

Jan 5 2010, 8:44 am Jack Post #3

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

There was a game called Temple Siege that did the same a little while ago.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jan 5 2010, 11:52 am Magicide Post #4

Sleeping wolves wake hungry.

Quote from fat_flying_pigs
Recently, while searching for a game to join, found a game called "Zynastors Crash RPG".
Zynastors Crash RPG.
Crash RPG.
Crash

Jan 5 2010, 12:11 pm MadZombie Post #5

DM Said if you type in the name and hold space for like half an hour until you fill it up with spaces. Give or take a couple of spaces and it's possible to get in, he claimed. Who cares :ego:

None.

Jan 5 2010, 1:38 pm zynastor Post #6

Quote from MadZombie
DM Said if you type in the name and hold space for like half an hour until you fill it up with spaces. Give or take a couple of spaces and it's possible to get in, he claimed. Who cares :ego:

There is 2 different methods, the first method I just used long game names with a lot of spaces, you can pretty much just fill it with whatever tho instead of spaces. The second method I have been using long map names and I have made the game unjoinable, which is also possible to do with long game names to stop people joining.

Quote from name:zany_001
There was a game called Temple Siege that did the same a little while ago.

That was probably me, I was doing that a few days ago.

None.

Jan 5 2010, 3:59 pm samsizzle Post #7

wait a second... why are you doing that?

None.

Jan 5 2010, 4:08 pm Falkoner Post #8

Because it's hilarious to cause chaos. Why else? You should check out the chat log he posted on GameThreat with all the stuff people said to him while he was hosting it :P

There is 2 different methods, the first method I just used long game names with a lot of spaces, you can pretty much just fill it with whatever tho instead of spaces. The second method I have been using long map names and I have made the game unjoinable, which is also possible to do with long game names to stop people joining.

Yeah, problem with the first method was a simple memory scan could find the right number of spaces, allowing people to get in.

My only question, Zynastor, if you look at this thread again, is whether the map was actually made with such a long name, or did you change the map name after already hosting it to allow yourself to begin hosting in the first place?

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 5 2010, 5:02 pm by Falkoner.

None.

Jan 5 2010, 7:10 pm fat_flying_pigs Post #9

Quote from zynastor
Quote from MadZombie

1) When you say "game name" is that map name? or the name you make when you host the map? About how many spaces will do this? Isn't there a max limit on characters? or are spaces not affected by the limit? This makes the game unjoinable along with crashing the players?
2) How long is a long map name? Is the "map name" the file name? or the map title?

I'm really intrested in this so I can crash some stalkers that have been following me around, dropping people in game, or in lobby.

None.

Jan 5 2010, 7:17 pm Falkoner Post #10

1) When you say "game name" is that map name? or the name you make when you host the map? About how many spaces will do this? Isn't there a max limit on characters? or are spaces not affected by the limit? This makes the game unjoinable along with crashing the players?
2) How long is a long map name? Is the "map name" the file name? or the map title?

Game name is the name when you host it, it can't be done manually, at the very least you need to edit SC's memory to change the titles, the map name is the map title, because the file name doesn't show up when you click it, the map name does, and that's what crashes it, you can find the max length by doing a memory scan for a title and seeing the length of the array.

None.

Jan 5 2010, 11:35 pm Jesusfreak Post #11

So, does anyone know if Zynastor's Crash RPG is any better than the others? :bleh:

None.

Jan 7 2010, 5:58 am Heinermann Post #12

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

wait a second... why are you doing that?
Because people will whisper funny things to you. It's for kicks of course. Starcraft is a game.

There are methods for crashing people after they've joined the game too.

Apr 14 2010, 6:59 am fat_flying_pigs Post #13

I'm reviving this topic since I think that this crash is the same as the other in this topic, although I'm not 100% sure.

Is this spoofing the game name? The name on the list is "Allah@useast>you" but on the side, you can see some numbers"......606."
There also appears to be the same game name twice (on the game list).

None.

Apr 14 2010, 1:54 pm Zhuinden Post #14

Same method, same thing.

None.

Options
  Back to forum